Anyone heard the KEF LS50?????

I wonder if they would deduct the tax on this price?

No tax reduction as shipped from one eu country to another . If it was exported out of the eu then that would be different.

Agree DAMO.

They are an all in one solution that look and sound great (from what I am told) and won't break the bank.

We need to spread the word to prevent people from buying those Bose cubes or the Samsung/Sony/Panasonic etc. "box systems" from JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman etc.!

Touche - i will be looking at these for my two sons - i-boys both of them.  I hope the kefs live up to that hype they look like a great solution, if they are in the LS50 ball park all looks good.  :D

That is a great price from Euro - has anyone confirmed they will ship to Aus?

Touche - i will be looking at these for my two sons - i-boys both of them.  I hope the kefs live up to that hype they look like a great solution, if they are in the LS50 ball park all looks good.  :D

That is a great price from Euro - has anyone confirmed they will ship to Aus?

http://www.hifishop24.de/search_result.php?sid=88d9c656cf13a31b694a72ca322da18c&x=0&y=0&search_query_keyword=Ls50

Web site says 500 each not 400

Cant remember if the website was saying different when I bought 2 weeks ago, but I definitely paid 399 Euros each, and did not ask for a discount, just what it would cost for a pair shipped to Copenhagen. Maybe they took that as shopping around and so discounted, either way it's likely they can still be had for that price.

I cant believe that these are $1800-2000 retail here, the distributor has there head the wrong way!  Its no wonder people order OS!

Thye are 1000 Euros a pair from the o'seas shop. That equates to $1253 AUD. Add 10% GST plus 5% duty which amounts to approx $1450. The add shipping...........maybe $150?

Suddenly, your delivered speakers cost you around $1600AUD with no local warranty. Otherwise you could support and bricks and mortar dealer in Australia and get them for $1800

...............and people wonder why we have no audio outlets anymore

• Like 3

Thye are 1000 Euros a pair from the o'seas shop. That equates to $1253 AUD. Add 10% GST plus 5% duty which amounts to approx $1450. The add shipping...........maybe $150?

Suddenly, your delivered speakers cost you around $1600AUD with no local warranty. Otherwise you could support and bricks and mortar dealer in Australia and get them for $1800

I don't know about GST and duty but was going to save $300 maybe from UK so decided to go local.

It would need to be done a fair time apart. If customs see two identical items arrive at the same  [ or very similar ] time and both are addressed to the same person,they always charge GST and duty. I actually know someone who had this happen to them. Shipping individually is a good way to go, as long as it was more than a week apart and well after the first package had been collected.

The problem is that customs are very aware of the various methods people use to try and avoid duty and tax. It does suck but it is true

That's worth remembering. I usually ship a week apart, so far so good.

I'd really hope anyone auditioning them locally at a hifi shop would not then choose to import, but otherwise I dont think anyone need feel any obligation to buy local. 

Opps, didn't realized it was each, so it's around a $1000 euro a pair,

So, why are everyone excited in paying almost 2k AUD when you have a pair of Usher 520 for $300-400?

• Like 2

With all due respect pchan, what sort of question is that? It's almost the same as saying "why buy any speaker worth $2k when S520's can be had for $300?" Perhaps it's because the owner-to-be wants something better and more up-market than the Ushers??

Edited by twwen2

to be fair there could be many reasons they "jacked up the price", and in this day and age it could very likely be a result of other retailers complaining to KEF, or via other avenues. Perhaps interested parties should email them rather than speculating on forums..

I was just on the phone with hifishop24 checking on delivery of my order to Copenhagen, and asked them if they can ship to Oz, they said no. I didn't bother ask details  as their english was a bit shaky.

Can help but wonder, if they sold me a pair for AU$996 without haggling, what Kef sells them to dealers for. Would definitely be interesting to know what profit Australian dealers are making, but I guess we can only speculate. 

Maybe a group buy is in order, send one SNAer to Germany to come back with his bags full of as many LS50s as he can carry. And hope he doesnt end up on an episode of Border Security.

Apparently SNA folks are Scottish by descent and wallet opening aversion. Support you local retailer I say, unless you are prepared to buy blind.

Most retailers will give you a decent price these days if you ask nicely. They have kids to feed also.

Internet is ok for CDs and the like, I wouldn't buy speakers that way. My 2 cents. Oh, and I have Scottish grand parents as well.

• Like 2

Phantom - your calculation omits something for insurance (say A$60 - A$80 per pair), then plus 10%, plus 5%. If you ship the speakers individually you will probably be looking at more. Customs also charge additional fees (albeit nominal but it all adds up) to clear the goods for the distributor - It's not worth the local distributor trying to dodge customs as if they catch him he will find himself in a very difficult place with his future business. A$1,800 from a local dealer is not unreasonable in my book.

With all due respect pchan, what sort of question is that? It's almost the same as saying "why buy any speaker worth $2k when S520's can be had for $300?" Perhaps it's because the owner-to-be wants something better and more up-market than the Ushers??

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but following this thread, most have said they have heard them but no one has compared them to others apart from one poster here. I haven't heard either LS50 or the Usher 520. But someone did post that the LS50 lacks the extensions of the Elac bs244 which cost slightly more. Visually looking at both, and checking out the designs of both I can tell without hearing them that I would have given the Elac bs 244 more consideration especially @ $2k AUD. In say that, I would have checked out cheaper alternatives in our own backyard, and yes, I never purchase without doing an audition and a comparison.

Edited by pchan
  • Like 1