Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Try a LG HD PVR on your Sony. I couldn't believe the difference between the 2 in PQ on the Sony sxrd 60". Even the internal tuner of the 60" was better than the Sony HD PVR.

I have the LG box, yes its not bad, but it is true - standard definition TV can look very average with this TV. Even High Definition TV can look average. But it is not the TVs fault. Its the poor broadcast quality. I have seen blu-ray disc through this TV and it can look very good.

My problem is I cant seem to HDMI switch my Pio player and the LG box via my yammy receiver through to this TV. I asked Sony, but since none of the other equipment is Sony, they could not help. Said it must be some incompatibility. Didnt have any problem like this with my previous screen :blink:

Anyone else HDMI switching sucessfully to this TV ?

I was particularly concerned with the unit's impromptu shutdown. Also concerned when the picture was restored, it retained a horrible "mauve" (magenta) hue for a long time. This magenta impurity is still there at the lower screen area and takes more than an hour to diminish to become "acceptable" (not really to me).

When reporting to Sony (the very next day) I described the symptoms - I have mentioned these in an earlier post.

Customer Support (the first person I spoke to) was very sympathetic and stated - categorically - the unit should not shut down of its own accord. As I said before - I agreed wholeheartedly.

I was advised to organize a replacement through my retailer; with Sony's support.

I doubt a poor connection (dry joint) to the cooling fans etc. I suspect it may be a specific power supply problem. I say specific because there are several power supplies throughout.

I have always found Sony Support to be very obliging. We had our first widescreen CRT RP in 1996. They sent up a dedicated technician to resolve an issue in the same year. Most cooperative.

If you are polite and explicit with your observations, Sony will come to your aid.

Of course, I must emphasize, our shutdown experience was within the first day or so of delivery.

Where most TV’s will only show a brief interruption when there is a glitch in the mains supply, the Sony and most devices that use a lamp will go through a power down power up sequence which takes time and is normal operation to protect the lamp.

I am not saying that your shutdown was due to this, but it could have been and that is the point.

Personally I would not lodge a complaint due to one shutdown, but that’s me.

As for the magenta colour issue, that’s more serious. It is normal for the SXRD to take up to 15 minuets to fully stabilize in colour, but if it is taking significantly longer, or does not come good at all, the set is defective.

Be aware that off angle viewing can result in some colour issues, so check colour when viewing the set straight on.

As for xbox “compatibility”, well it’s the xbox that is the problem, not the Sony.

The Sony works just fine with any industry standard TV video signal, however the xbox is providing a well documented none standard output. Why MS would do that is a mystery but they have. 1080p over Component is in its self non standard, as the Component interconnect system was never specified for 1080p 50/60 operation, so little wonder that over 99% of TV’s won’t accept it.

Some good insights there Owen. I think with MS, their engineers were forced into a corner as the video output stages are analog on the motherboard. HDMI wasnt around when the motherboard was finalised. Unless they come up with a dongle to transcode, which may erk the HDMI licencing body, they need a new motherboard design in my view. They may also see the d/a and then a/d as a poorly elegant solution that potentially adds game lag prefering to go instead with an all digital pathway.

Hi guys

I've been looking at the spec of this TV for a while and have a question. What material is the screen made of? Is it glass or plastic? I went to the Sony shop in Melbourne Central last week and asked but the chap kept telling me it's an LCD tv.. *sigh*

So can any owners help out? I'm interested in the longevity of the material as I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and I shudder to think what they will do to a nice 60" clean surface having seen what they have done to their newly painted bedroom doors.

Thanks for all you your reviews on this box. I'm leaning very close to buying it. The wife agrees its good but laments that our existing AV cabinet is too small so does anyone have a good recommendation as well for a AV cabinet for this? I would prefer one with wheels as our current one is custom made so I can swing it out to get at the connections behind.

Thanks

Haha oops my bad MS are releasing an HDMI 360 this year!

If you are dead set on getting the best out of your 360 then you will have to buy one as I am. I know its rubbish but its easier than finding a tv that will support 1080p over vga or component!

No, when you were talking up the wonders of the internet and I countered that with what the drawbacks are. Which, in the end you appeared to agree with mate.

Your factually incorrect to suggest I have been attempting to censor negative information about the display, and on the contrary, actually I have done it myself which is something you strangely have ignored. See my posts about poor xbox 360 compatability.

I've decided I'm not reporting my problem until it happens a third time.

Are you watching it over digital or analog? Digital FTA will be better for you most likely

We do not watch Analog only Digital Television.

Try a LG HD PVR on your Sony. I couldn't believe the difference between the 2 in PQ on the Sony sxrd 60". Even the internal tuner of the 60" was better than the Sony HD PVR.

Thankyou Groover !. I will see if I can look at with the LG HD PVR at my local Harvey Norman. They stock both brand HD PVR and the SXRD.

As for SD FTA stuff the performance of the set being what it is, those broadcasts are hard to enjoy anymore (relatively speaking). I was in the same boat as you dlenaid but as time wore on, I found myself seeking true (1080i) HD broadcasts and decent quality DVDs to watch :D. I do think there is an argument for watching Standard Definition material on a Standard Definition TV though!

dlenaid, my apologies if you have previously stated but approx. how far do you sit from your set? I find with SD stuff you want move away from the set, with HD you want to sit closer. :blink:

I agree The Evil Dr J, it is not a pleasing experience watching everyday television. And there does not appear much High Definition telecast. Maybe you are right it is something you become accustomed to with time ?.

I have not mentioned distance we sit from the TV. That is maybe what I am finding confusing and still experimenting. When we watch blu-ray and we now only have a few discs, you need to sit close or not see full definition. But with everyday TV, if sit so close it looks bad. Which is what is confusing. We cannot move our sofa so have left it in back position as most of the time we watch TV.

What distance do you sit from your TV ?

Anyone seen any post Xmas /New Year prices?

I would be upgrading from a Saumsung 60" LCD rpTV and like the specs on these Sony's

Do you think its worth the extra 10 inches and forgo the built in HD tuner :blink:?

Respectfully, MS releasing a HDMI cable up to now has become a mythical event full of rumour and conjecture. Its been going on for over a year guys. I'll believe it when I see one or its announced by a respected MS executive such as Major Nelson.

Called Sony support - they referred to a local company - theyre on holidays so I will need to wait. Had the problem of it power cycling for no reason occur again this morning.

Anyone seen any post Xmas /New Year prices?

I would be upgrading from a Saumsung 60" LCD rpTV and like the specs on these Sony's

Do you think its worth the extra 10 inches and forgo the built in HD tuner :blink:?

Is an internal tuner really relevant to the decision making process?

70” is quite a bit bigger then 60” and definitely worthwhile for some people.

Only you can decide if the extra size is of value to you.

If you found the 60” Sammy ok most of the time, the 70” Sony should work well for you.

Kendrew provided you can come up with something that isnt nonsense I encourage you to contribute to the overall value of this thread. Maybe you can even learn to cope with a spelling error, as I can surely appreciate how that effects your otherwise perfect internet community experience :blink:

Maybe I will ring Sony in the morning - just hope its not a swap as I've got it all nicely setup now.

I dont think its a cooling fan problem:

1. On high the fan is audible and Ive never heard that before

2. Therefore I assume it hasnt hit that mode like the logic in the control system enforces when the temps go up

Anyway it hasnt done it since.

Bathrone, your sarcasm becomes you but thank you for posting with just seven out of eight little punctuation errors (a rough count) :D . It so appeased my sensibilities. :P

Regarding our replacement SXRD, I tend to sympathise with you when you hope yours wouldn't be a swap, as you've got it nicely set up now.

I feel the same way. Ours is well set up, with lots of potential tweaks to come. The geometry is faultless to my eyes. Yet, even though sometimes "it's better the devil you know", logic compels me to accept a replacement. The power down is responsible for the substantial screen colour impurities, in my opinion, and who can say what other resultant issue now lurks; not yet manifested. The power down has happened only once - but - it could happen again.

You and 'stegman' have each had power down twice, within a short time period. To me that would be persuasive reason for contacting Sony.

When I've played with the new one, I'll keep you posted; warts and all. :P

70” is quite a bit bigger then 60” and definitely worthwhile for some people.

Only you can decide if the extra size is of value to you.

If you found the 60” Sammy ok most of the time, the 70” Sony should work well for you.

The Sammy has been very good (apart from the odd time it powers down by itself)

Im calling in for anther warranty call, and i think i will be eligible for a replacement unit or refund.

(happy i got the extended warranty!)

Owen, did you own an LG or Sammy 60". your nick rings a bell from a while ago.

The Sammy has been very good (apart from the odd time it powers down by itself)

Im calling in for anther warranty call, and i think i will be eligible for a replacement unit or refund.

(happy i got the extended warranty!)

Owen, did you own an LG or Sammy 60". your nick rings a bell from a while ago.

:blink: No definitely not, I have a 2 year old Hitachi 57" 1080 CRT RPTV.

Guys,

my 60" has turned it self off then back on again a couple of times. It did it once while i was useing it (so first hand experience) and maybe twice while my brother(s) was using it. It hasnt done it again since thati know of. I wont start being concerned untill it does it again and any probs arise (like a color problem i think another guy mentioned).

the peeps that are doing so... Please keep me informed about support calls or replacements. I may have to go down that route.