My obsession with Brothers In Arms

shm sacd not really as good.

it was supposedly derived from a UK analogue master

(but we all know that it is originally a 44.1kHz PCM recording, so why take from an analogue master???)

plus, shm material actually force the laser mechanism to "work" harder retrieving the audio stream, as a result, slightly degrading the sound quality (that's a story for next time).

That’s what I thought.

I ripped my SHM SACD and compared it to his CD. That disc had German text. Don’t even have made in west Germany. Don’t know if it was for Polygram or others.

The MoFi LP seemed very good tho.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AndrewC

Listening to the German 1980s CD to the numerous SACD versions I have.

German 16/44 better. Just so much more dynamic

That’s what I thought.

I ripped my SHM SACD and compared it to his CD. That disc had German text. Don’t even have made in west Germany. Don’t know if it was for Polygram or others.

The MoFi LP seemed very good tho.

I’ve got the original MOFI SACD.. it’s pretty good, one of the better Rock SACDs in terms of dynamics. Certainly much better than my XRCD which is pretty crap. I don’t have any other version to compare to though - I’ve never liked SHM-anything… they always lack “body”.  :P

At my end, the 20th Anniversary SACD sounded better than the CD version.  I just discovered I got the Japanese SHM-SACD that I have not ripped yet.'

The 20th Anniversary SACD has more details and texture than the German CD.

(Audio)

The "Made in W. Germany by Polygram" version is very different sound lah.

Sounds diluted and vague in comparison with the "Made in W. Germany" version

I cunt find the  "Made in W. Germany" one in discocks. All the German first pressings got "GEMA" on them

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dire-Straits-West-German-CD-Brothers-in-Arms-matrix-824-499-2-17/202276911487?hash=item2f18a4b97f:g:YScAAOSwR2RZ5geX

I seems to recall i may have a "Made in W. Germany" version but at the back on the data side it still says "Made in W. Germany by Polygram". The sound is not as good.

You may want to check with the seller i posted above

When the audio is heavily compressed, and the overall recorded level is boosted - the previously softer sounds are now nearly as loud as the louder sounds. A layman listener might actually think that he hears more details.

They may also like the vocals and soundstaging being more upfront, and projected in front of the speakers creating the perception of the singer/band being present in the room (an artifact of dynamics compression)

Be careful when buying 2nd hand CDs.

Sellers usually clean up their discs by wiping them with fabric materials.

This can cauze a form of static that, when played on your disc player - can cause the imaging to go skewed towards the left. And then thiz problem persists throughout your downstream electronics, so that even if you are playing a different source like server or pc, your system's imaging is still skewed left.

The remedy - rinse your cds under tap water and tab dry with tissue paper...

Some new cds/sacds (first time opened from its sealed jewel case) may also have this problem.

But luckily this is very rare.

Only encountered twice.

Same sacd. Different system, different country... Both sacds bought from the same shop.

;D

The dire strait album is like they pour in voo doo magic into some of the songs for example like Sultan of swings. It's like they make it super analogue type...even if you go buy the copied cd from Jb from any roadside stall...to me the songs still sounds same same unless you want to imagine Mark Knopfler is standing in front of you as for what best versions they are coming out, to me and others{i believe} are just like record company sell until don't know what to sell version...another version to milk buyers.

Now come out Limited version, later Ultimate version, follow by Never heard before version...you ownself do the thinking. 

Same goes to some of the record now...Many Many color version for Slayer album...still same album but only different color vinyl but no magic inside the songs.

DR comparison is only half the story.

Audiophiles unwittingly always prefer a bit more dynamics compression wan...

Very few listeners know how to identify what is dynamics compression.

Instead, the major issue has always been - whether the original studio masters were being used for transfers to reissue/reprint subsequent releases/pressings or not.

Or did those Warner exe just used a cd disc themselves when making sacd/cd reissue/reprin, and dis they only passed these boutique labels a cd disc for reissue, or did those boutique labels had to resort to taking whatever commercially pressed cd available from the market...

DR comparison is only half the story.

Audiophiles unwittingly always prefer a bit more dynamics compression wan...

Very few listeners know how to identify what is dynamics compression.

Instead, the major issue has always been - whether the original studio masters were being used for transfers to reissue/reprint subsequent releases/pressings or not.

Or did those Warner exe just used a cd disc themselves when making sacd/cd reissue/reprin, and dis they only passed these boutique labels a cd disc for reissue, or did those boutique labels had to resort to taking whatever commercially pressed cd available from the market...

But this being a digital recording (DDD), how important is using the orginal studio masters? I think the remaster for print where the DR is determined would probably be more important rite?

Personally I always listen to the 1985 pressing CD for 2ch and the 20th anni SACD only for the multi-ch

But this being a digital recording (DDD), how important is using the orginal studio masters? I think the remaster for print where the DR is determined would probably be more important rite?

Personally I always listen to the 1985 pressing CD for 2ch and the 20th anni SACD only for the multi-ch

which 1985 pressing cd do you have?

The German silver-rim?

With "Made in W. Germany" or "Made in W. Germany by Polygram" or others?

Have you ever compared the silver-rim "Made in W. Germany" or "Made in W. Germany by Polygram" pressings?

Only one of them was transferred from the studio master.

They are vastly different.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dire-Straits-West-German-CD-Brothers-in-Arms-matrix-824-499-2-17/202276911487?hash=item2f18a4b97f:g:YScAAOSwR2RZ5geX

I seems to recall i may have a "Made in W. Germany" version but at the back on the data side it still says "Made in W. Germany by Polygram". The sound is not as good.

You may want to check with the seller i posted above

This one good? On playing side, it says "Made in W Germany by PDO wor36fcc86fa21da567002ce2fbbaaac912.jpge4438cc6f629e6a27f8a4d4d5114578f.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Yes, that was the version i was talking about. My memory failed me. On the data side it is supposed to be printed "Made in W. Germany by PDO" instead of "Made in W. Germany by Polygram".

20180505_130028.jpg

The "Made in W. Germany by PDO" is also visible in reverse on the label side.

20180505_125941.jpg

This PDO version has very low soundstage. The centre vocal in the middle of the soundstage is very low. Lacking airiness. Dynamic impact also reduced. Worse than the "Made in W. Germany by Polygram" version.