My obsession with Brothers In Arms

I bought one copy of Brothers in Arms on SACD many many many years ago to test out SACD on my Marantz SA8003.

But as it turned out the Marantz sometimes saw it as CD, sometimes as an SACD and oddly enough as an HDCD on some occasions.

Think I ended up with 3 copies of the SACD before I got one that would play consistently as an SACD on the Marantz. The weird thing is all the discs played as SACDs on the Oppo.

Anyway since then I’ve had it on XRCD2, SHM XRCD2 and who knows how many versions I have hiding somewhere.

On the LP side, I got the box set of the studio albums that were released a few years ago. Not bad. But not good. The more recent MoFi 45rpm re release was however massively good.

Had a chat with a customer originally from Germany and he mentioned he had his original pressing on LP and on CD. He swore the CD sounded better. And my interest was piqued.

He brought them in today.

a8221988c6fb49e514a53067ab140c70.jpg

b78eb1895172fa17f35d724c1957f416.jpg

Gave the record a clean. And played it. Pretty impressive but I thought the 45rpm didn’t lose out.

Then the CD.

d2b8ddcf2fe3da8a702377ae3137639c.jpg

e6493497230a787edc6c2fce162b01e1.jpg

Omg the CD was really really really good.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never get tired of this album. I always play and all tracks in the album are nice except Money for Nothing, which I skip.

I have the Bernie Grundman remastered 45 RPM double LP for Brother in Arms which was originally mastered by the famous Bob Ludwig.

We have 2 famous mastering engineers involved and the end results? The original CD recorded in DDD format, which I bought in the early days is not far off... almost on par.

However, someone I know in Aldephi said his Mobile Fidelity sounds better than his first press.

OMG the National Resonator on the cover. Mark Knopfler and his fingerstyle playing is amazing and the lyrics are so well written. My favourites are "Sultans of Swing" and "Romeo and Juliet", both not on this album.

my favourite cd pressing:

Silver-Rim, "Made in W. Germany" (not the ordinary "Made in West Germany by Polygram")

13466540_1151800874882777_6840967033644864227_n.jpg

14859718_1270087639720766_5256813965294080448_o.jpg

the first SACD release 20th anni version (on digipack, and later, on jewel case) was remastered by Bob Ludwig way too loud (at least 15dB louder)

didn't like it at all.

The mofi SACD, as usual, like all their other SACD releases are "rounded off" at the top end, but still better than the Bob Ludwig one.

Buy LP also must look for cover sticker

;D

Different sticker means different pressing.

This LP got many UK pressings, some got white sticker, some is silver sticker, some is no sticker...

i like the sound with the white round sticker which highlights only 2 songs.

10255560_714664158596453_3205717011618626326_n.jpg

the silver sticker highlight 4 songs

guess which sticker is earlier pressing?

;D

I was searching for Dire Straits 12" singles and found that most are UK pressings. Is that the case?

US pressing seems to be mostly 7".

I was searching for Dire Straits 12" singles and found that most are UK pressings. Is that the case?

US pressing seems to be mostly 7".

usa also got 12" singles

i got the usa promo 12" single of So Far Away

(later when i have more time I shall talk about this, and why I think the mofi 45 LP sucks!)

How is the SHM SACD version?

shm sacd not really as good.

it was supposedly derived from a UK analogue master

(but we all know that it is originally a 44.1kHz PCM recording, so why take from an analogue master???)

plus, shm material actually force the laser mechanism to "work" harder retrieving the audio stream, as a result, slightly degrading the sound quality (that's a story for next time).