Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

48 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Next Step is new Power Amp::  Single Ended Class A  Solid state.. Pass Labs Aleph 3A  or Aleph  Clone. Don't care... 

Not sure if you're a DIYer, Bryan - but Hugh Dean has made his "Alpha Nirvana" available to the DIYAudio community.  I've just built one and I think it sounds superb.  It drives my 2 ohm ribbons and 3.2 ohm mid-range panels with ease.

You have to build this one yourself - from the bare boards up - but if that's not your bag, he has also come up with an upgraded circuit that he will sell as a fully-made up amp.  People who have built the Alpha Nirvana have also built Class A amps from Nelson Pass - and say the AN sounds better.  :)

Andy

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

Not sure if you're a DIYer, Bryan - but Hugh Dean has made his "Alpha Nirvana" available to the DIYAudio community.  I've just built one and I think it sounds superb.  It drives my 2 ohm ribbons and 3.2 ohm mid-range panels with ease.

You have to build this one yourself - from the bare boards up - but if that's not your bag, he has also come up with an upgraded circuit that he will sell as a fully-made up amp.  People who have built the Alpha Nirvana have also built Class A amps from Nelson Pass - and say the AN sounds better.  :)

Andy

Wow! So Single Ended is it? Is it 30 watts? I wonder what it would cost to get it made?.. I  can solder my guitar leads onto a mono plug, so i am as 'useless as an ashtray on a motorbike' 

28 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Wow! So Single Ended is it? Is it 30 watts? I wonder what it would cost to get it made?.. I  can solder my guitar leads onto a mono plug, so i am as 'useless as an ashtray on a motorbike' 

It's actually a Class A push-pull amp, Bryan (which I understand is a peculiar beast!  :) ).  40w into 8 ohms.  You would need to contact Hugh ( @AKSA ) to get pricing for the fully made-up (and better-sounding!) version.

Andy

1 hour ago, Wayne Clements said:

i am local, not sure exactly in Adelaide Edward is located ? curious if anyone has AS speakers paired with a tube amp ?

According to Google, they are at 77 The Strand, Reynella SA 5161

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wayne Clements said:

i am local, not sure exactly in Adelaide Edward is located ? curious if anyone has AS speakers paired with a tube amp ?

Some on this thread have them with tube amps... Mine are rated at 91.5db efficiency so should be tube amp friendly... Edward does make some ' tube specific' models which are even higher efficiency which are suitable for the low powered tube amps... None of his speakers from what i gather present difficult loads for amplifiers... 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that any half decent tube amplifier would work very with with just about any of the AS range but probably the best idea would be to contact the proprietor and discuss your needs.

Several people in this thread have done this and in discussions have been able to come up with  specific design that suits their situation and as I see it, this is their biggest attraction.

• Like 1

Guest deanB
14 hours ago, Wayne Clements said:

G'day Wayne, I've been using valve amps, from 40w to 150w on both pairs of Adelaide's that I've owned. Currently using a 50w KT88 amp with my 823 monitors.

I'd like a bit more power at times so when funds permit I'll order a pair of the smaller 2 way from the Valve series.

• 3 weeks later...

Interested in opinions of what the 'Regular Sensitivity' Ascensions are like with low(ish) wattage amps?(25 watt) I am thinking going from a 100 watt Mosfet Push Pull design to a Nelson Pass  25 watt Class A Single Ended JFet. These

amps being of course  well up the ladder in terms of refinement,musicality etc. On paper 25 watts should be a ton of power for the claimed 91.5db efficiency.. I have heard some users saying maybe the speakers are a

bit less than the claimed efficiency. I know Edward does some Valve Series speakers for small amps but these Nelson Pass Solid State designs (25watt )are far from 'Flea Powered Amps. People have used them with speakers as low as 86db. How do you think the 25watt JFet will pair with Edwards Regular speakers at average listening levels? 

Cheers. 

Bryan. 

Edited by bryansamui

Is anyone using any of the Valve Series speakers from Edward?

I'm curious of the bass performance of different genres of music when using a valve amp.

Edited by JB82

On 01/07/2020 at 10:33 PM, bryansamui said:

How do you think the 25watt JFet will pair with Edwards Regular speakers at average listening levels?

For what it's worth,

I had Summoner 3 way speakers with the 8" woofer and I found them extremely easy to drive. 

I would expect 25w to be more than enough.

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 3:55 PM, JB82 said:

For what it's worth,

I had Summoner 3 way speakers with the 8" woofer and I found them extremely easy to drive. 

I would expect 25w to be more than enough.

I've got probably the same or similar drivers in mine ( SB NRX) claimed 91.5db.. Cheers for your reply. That was the answer i was hoping for. Would be going down in power from 100watt class AB. The 25 watt Pass/ First Watt Class A amps are physically a big amp.... Really happy with my Ascensions. 

• 4 weeks later...

@bryansamui Hey Bryan! How are those Ascensions treating you? I've ordered one in Blackwood and with leather baffle because I wanted to see what their 3 ways are like! I've had their older Summoner 1093DQTL for quite a few years now and quite liked it. I also had their 822SQTL but I couldn't stop comparing it to the floorstander!

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 12:18 PM, Suopermanni said:

@bryansamui Hey Bryan! How are those Ascensions treating you? I've ordered one in Blackwood and with leather baffle because I wanted to see what their 3 ways are like! I've had their older Summoner 1093DQTL for quite a few years now and quite liked it. I also had their 822SQTL but I couldn't stop comparing it to the floorstander!

Hi Suopermanni,  My one were a custom 'one off' 3 way (M853SQ) Large like a Spendor Classic 100 Size or Harbeth HL5.   Hooked them up 5 mins in and I thought they might be too big for my 5 x 6 M room which isn't small. A bit much bass.   20 hrs in it changed a lot changed. The bass wasn't so overblown. I put some foam plugs in the rear ports and the balance now is perfect . Amazing speakers. Wouldn't trade them for the world... Realism is fantastic. Piano sounds like a real piano . You can hear "The Wood" on woodwind instruments etc. I know about timbre   as I am a professional musician. They are unfatiguing to listen too . You can turn them up loud, yet they don't appear loud.. There is none of that dreaded "Ice Pick in the ear" that i get from Some B&W, lean speakers and some Horns.. They are fat. Plenty of meat on the bones but at the same time  agile and display great PRAT.

The Bass is Fast, Deep and Tuneful. You can follow bass lines really clearly with those Transmission lines.Edward  has nailed this topology and i believe the reason other manufactures don't use it ,is they just don't have the 'know how'  and  use the Bass Reflex design instead as the  'soft option' because its Cheap, highly profitable, and easy to implement for average designers.  Calling  Edward "Average' is like calling Michael Angelo "An Average Painter" . He is truly talented.

Mid is clear, organic and pops out of the mix. That SB acoustics driver is great.

The  Treble is sweet and extended but doesn't have either the ultimate speed or ultimate extention  of my $8500 Martin Logan Electrostatics but is still excellent nevertheless . I still prefer these Ascencions over the Hyper detailed  Logans  due to their less fatiquing nature and  easier long term listen. I consider these as good as the M Logans which were 5 times the price.  I  want to buy a Solid State Class A  Single Ended Pass Labs / First watt  type Power Amp.  Maybe a J2 or Similar . Sort of like a Solid State version of a Single End Triode  Amp.. Can't Wait to hear my speakers with this.

You'll like your speakers I'm sure..  They do need a bit of running in from new imo.

Best of luck.

Hi All,

I just purchased an Adelaide Speakers firesprite Ascension 602sq.  Loving the sound it produces.  I was lucky to audition it before purchasing as it was already made up.  The other option I auditioned was the q acoustic 3020i. Great speaker and hard to compare to the Ascension as i listened to both at different locations hooked up to different equipment and different music. The impact the Ascension made on me was much greater though, and on paper it is a superior, so I definitely feel it made the right choice.  Very pleased with my purchase.   Will one day upgrade all the Speakers in my system.  There is something cool about buying directly from the maker and taking through the details of the speaker.  There is an experience to the purchase as well as great quality and sound. 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 5:58 AM, dlr said:

Collected a pair of new Woodfox 823SQ 3-way bookshelf speakers a few weeks ago from Edward.  Absolutely amazing.

I can only imagine how good they sound. I find my firesprites amazing

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, chilipepper said:

Nice looking speaker... how do you think the M823sq will preform with a luxman 509x ? 

Wow, that Luxman is a serious bit of kit, along with being able to drive two sets of speakers. The M823sq's are a large 3-way bookshelf speaker, a smaller version of the Summoner 863 floor standers. 
Mine are on stands, between head and waist level when sat down.  They're weight is very heavy, I've been meaning to put them on the scales. They're the first set of speakers I've played 'Pink Floyd - The Wall' on that didn't produce any rattles or harsh bass clashes on particular tracks proven to be a handful in the past.  I've not had the volume past 40% yet (need to wait until neighbours head out for the day), but someone else commented previously regarding that increasing the volume is very deceptive, it creeps up on you without realising how loud it actually is.  Very smooth with new clarity and detail not heard before on favourite songs that one tends to repeat over the years. I was also considering a subwoofer, but now I'm comfortable without one.  These speakers definitely have the quality to be driven through your Luxman, and you have more options depending on whether you're adding as primary or secondary set.  Worth emailing Ascension speakers with your requirements and discuss the options. You also have the option of upgrading the drivers above and beyond what is listed on the website, there are many different finish and colour choices also which for me was very difficult to decide upon.  My newfound life's selfish little pleasure is sit down in front of them, close my eyes, and let the music take the aches and pains away.  Love the vibrations through the body.
Definitely recommend these. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bryansamui said:

What did you move onto Dean? 

ATC 19 active, Bryan. Took delivery of them early July. My 823SQ were sold to an Adelaide member. 

2 hours ago, deanB said:

ATC 19 active, Bryan. Took delivery of them early July. My 823SQ were sold to an Adelaide member. 

Yes.. Your 823sq were a bargain for the new owner.. How are the ATCs? Do you miss the tube amp presentation? 

2 hours ago, bryansamui said:

Yes.. Your 823sq were a bargain for the new owner.. How are the ATCs? Do you miss the tube amp presentation? 

Still getting plenty of valve goodness with the Supratek preamp. I was quite worried about giving up the valve amp though, but once the listening began, the benefits of having the crossover feeding dedicated amps for each speaker soothed my anxieties.