Ansuz Acoustics "DarCz" Footers Thread

Guest james46

.....I have stop playing with this footer things for quite sometime, I feel that no matter what type of footer always have some pro and con in sound quality, usually is increase clarity but loss some sound characteristic of the equipment itself.

Haha. Same here. I grow more white hair with this footer stuff than enjoying them. That's me. Not that it's no good but the result is so varied!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arcustic,

In my experience with footers, especially ball bearing based ones, the number of ball bearings, ball bearing material and footer material seem to have some kind of correlation.

This is a broad generalisation, but my general observation was,

1. Ceramic ball bearings are better than steel ball bearings

2. Aluminum is inferior to stainless steel

3. The more ball bearings used, the higher the load needed to perform optimally

If you look at Finite Elemente's range, the cheapest ceraball is made of Aluminum compared to the other stainless steel models. Their load chart suggests that their triple ball bearing model (the Cerabase) is optimal only at 40kg upwards, compared to the single ball bearing Ceraball which is optimal from 5-10 kg.

http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/accessories/cerafamily/efficiency

The placement for ball bearing footers is quite critical. Sometimes heavy parts like transformers etc work best. Sometimes the load needs to be evenly distributed between the 3-4 footers used.

Anyway, I have two sets of DarCz on hand. I will mess around with them over the next few days and report back.

watchdog

I do have the same oberservation like you.  This is the first time, I'm using footers with more than 1 bearing in each footer.

My earlier experience started many years back with the the Symposium Rollerblocks when they have it in standard steal balls.  Subsequently, they came out with the Tungsten Carbide Ball...grade 25, grade 10 and grade 3, also called the super ball.  All these balls do change the sonics of the sound.

Personally, I do not have any experience with Finite Elemente.

I think there are still more to explore with footers.

I  have both and some other lower cost footer .....

..... I can borrow you the similar price Roller block 2+ with Tungsten Carbide ball to try out if your want, curious how is you comment on it compare with the new footer you got..

.....I have stop playing with this footer things for quite sometime, I feel that no matter what type of footer always have some pro and con in sound quality, usually is increase clarity but loss some sound characteristic of the equipment itself.

joamonte,

Which Tungsten Carbide ball do you used with your Rollerblocks?  I am using the grade 25 balls.  This is my experience in sammary with both the Rollberblocks and DarCz.  The DarCz's has a cleaner highs than the Rollerblocks which resulted in more air, decay and microdynamics.  On the other hand, the Rollerblocks have a richer mid.

The mid does seem to suffer with the DarCz, maybe it's a tone control effect as the sound is expanded therefore the mid relatively not so prominent.

3D also not as good.

But I havent heard it in my own set yet so reserve judgement for later :)

I didn't get the wow factor I was expecting. When the darcz is under cdp & pre, the soundstage was quite low & have some kind of midrange bloom. I then put back the cold rays and transfer the darcz to the power amps which increase back the soundstage. Overall with allthe footers in, there's greater transperancy with better extensions & seperation. Amps r too heavy for me to AB which footer is better but for cdp & pre, I prefer the cold ray.

joamonte,

Which Tungsten Carbide ball do you used with your Rollerblocks?  I am using the grade 25 balls.  This is my experience in sammary with both the Rollberblocks and DarCz.  The DarCz's has a cleaner highs than the Rollerblocks which resulted in more air, decay and microdynamics.  On the other hand, the Rollerblocks have a richer mid.

The only set I left is brought at 2008 so I think should be grade 10 , anyway, I think Eric have point out an important point, each kind of this type of rolling ball footer have a ideal weight range to work with, maybe the Roller block sound wamer than DarCz is because the later have more balls to divert the weight of your equipment ( lighter, resonance at higher freq), suggest you try one ball on you DarCz to compare agian.

The only set I left is brought at 2008 so I think should be grade 10 , anyway, I think Eric have point out an important point, each kind of this type of rolling ball footer have a ideal weight range to work with, maybe the Roller block sound wamer than DarCz is because the later have more balls to divert the weight of your equipment ( lighter, resonance at higher freq), suggest you try one ball on you DarCz to compare agian.

Thanks Bro Joamonte.  I do recognised what Eric was pointing out regarding ideal weight range.  Just like the rollerblocks work better with heavier components....20Kg and above.

Bro Jerome, the DarCz footers bearings can be removed.  The discs are secured in the centre with....if I may call it...plastic bolts.  It can be opened by rotating the top and bottom halves in opposite directions.

Same here....perhaps all can share what would be the ideal position and number of footers use for the CDP in order to achieve optimal result

I didn't get the wow factor I was expecting. When the darcz is under cdp & pre, the soundstage was quite low & have some kind of midrange bloom. I then put back the cold rays and transfer the darcz to the power amps which increase back the soundstage. Overall with allthe footers in, there's greater transperancy with better extensions & seperation. Amps r too heavy for me to AB which footer is better but for cdp & pre, I prefer the cold ray.

Those of you which are trying, try not to do quick A/B comparisons. Let the footer sit under the component for a few days at least.

As strange as it may sound, but my experience with this and other ball bearing footers is that the sound changes over time. I've a bad cold at the moment, so I can't do meaningful comparisons yet.

Can users here also state how heavy their component is ?

Bro Longneck has also suggested that you try the DarCz under your power line conditioner too. The effect under just my mains distributor seems even stronger than my DAC.

Just like the rollerblocks work better with heavier components....20Kg and above.

I think I did not phrased the above sentence clearly...... What I meant was rollerblocks work better with heavier components.

As for the DarCz footers, I prefer using 3 footers rather than 4 for lighter components.  As for heavy components, 4 footers work better...provided they are position correctly under the component....transformer, power supply, heaviest point of the component, etc.

Same here....perhaps all can share what would be the ideal position and number of footers use for the CDP in order to achieve optimal result

Bro, I use only 3 for CDP....one directly under the tray, one under power supply, one for balance.

Those of you which are trying, try not to do quick A/B comparisons. Let the footer sit under the component for a few days at least.

As strange as it may sound, but my experience with this and other ball bearing footers is that the sound changes over time. I've a bad cold at the moment, so I can't do meaningful comparisons yet.

Can users here also state how heavy their component is ?

Bro Longneck has also suggested that you try the DarCz under your power line conditioner too. The effect under just my mains distributor seems even stronger than my DAC.

My CDP is only 11 KG and Amp is 25Kg

preamp 6kg, power amp 35kg, CDP I think is barely 3kg..

so most have DarCz works better under heavy equipment?

or is it still better to have 3 DarCz under lighter equipments vs Cold Ray?

Its a chore to position the DarCz under my power amp especially cos the contact area is large and the base of the amps has lots of nuts.. so cant do much comparison..

preamp 6kg, power amp 35kg, CDP I think is barely 3kg..

so most have DarCz works better under heavy equipment?

or is it still better to have 3 DarCz under lighter equipments vs Cold Ray?

Its a chore to position the DarCz under my power amp especially cos the contact area is large and the base of the amps has lots of nuts.. so cant do much comparison..

My configuration as follows:

Preamp ~23kg with 4 footers supporting each channel (~12kg) (2 sets)

CDP (Oppo 95) - 4 footers (1 set)

Bookshelf speakers - 4 footers each speaker (2 sets)

No footers on amp (Class D minimalist design :))

Now find my system has wider soundstage,  more detailed resolution and boost in bass management.

In a sentence, "it sounds big" now compared to using CRs (same placement).

Than in this case the footer should be better on power amp or heavy equipment , which exactly the same as some mention.

All this weight talk, may not actually be correct.

Weight only comes into play with suspension systems.

The 瘩疵 is actually very rigid.

There is very little side-to-side moments. (the concave depression housing the balls are very small)

Up and down movement is virtually zero.

What could actually be happening is that the component sound is being changed by the mere presence of extra metallic objects (a phenomenon well known in audio circles), giving more "thump" effect to bass impact, and more putting emphasis to certain range of mid and high frequencies, seemingly giving more "clarity" to certain elements in the recording. But the downside is that the soundstage moves more forward in front of the speakers, and some reduction in the size of the soundstage, and at the same time robbing music of some of its natural blossoming airiness at the very top octaves. When a 4-piece set is used instead of the usual 3-piece set (increasing more metallic parts presence), it actually accentuate the soundstage size reduction and the forward movement of the soundstage perspective.

One way to avoid the reduction of soundstaging is to place the 瘩疵 farther away from the position directly underneath the power transformer of that component, and stick to 3-piece set, which is the minimum number required to balance the component, but also being the most effective way to isolate the component from surface borned resonance.

Using the 瘩疵 on your power supply components will accentuate the soundstage size reduction and the forward movement of the soundstage perspective more than normal audio components.

Guest durianlover88

Only 2 of us are with G as we add on one after another set of new footers. Up to 5 sets before I left.

The stage just got bigger each time, the refinement went up each time. Take note of the stickiness of the vocals and instruments. Adding in first set would already greatly rdeuce that stickiness. My girlfriend somehow did not come closer to me although I would have hope so..

Only 2 of us are with G as we add on one after another set of new footers. Up to 5 sets before I left.

The stage just got bigger each time, the refinement went up each time. Take note of the stickiness of the vocals and instruments. Adding in first set would already greatly rdeuce that stickiness. My girlfriend somehow did not come closer to me although I would have hope so..

c-hing, c-fu mentioned that it was too early in that day.  ;D

That's why the only thing that got split was not her legs but the instruments and her vocal when the 2nd set was added to the DAC2x

Guest james46

What could actually be happening is that the component sound is being changed by the mere presence of extra metallic objects (a phenomenon well known in audio circles), giving more "thump" effect to bass impact, and more putting emphasis to certain range of mid and high frequencies, seemingly giving more "clarity" to certain elements in the recording.

I have a very similar exposure not long ago regarding having metal around my hifi system. I got this Burmester solid aluminium base which comes with their top range cd transport and DAC. I used this base under my turntable. Right away upon introducing it into my system, I can hear an added layer of high frequency being produced to the system. It not only happen to the equipment that sit on it ie the turntable but everything else nearby including the tuner which was a big surprise. Subsequently I try customized another similar local made aluminium base but they dont have that effect. Therefore there must be something very unusual about the Burmester base.