Frank TChang's resonator tweaks/ASI cables

Guest francis woo

i'm sure u guys could hear it.. but what was the change? ;D

Good question!  don't know about the rest, I did hear subtle changes in the form of clarity and quietness when the bell was in.  Think the set up must be very neutral and transparent to hear these minute changes!  But don't ask me how this works!... ::)

Anybody knows where to get Indian Rosewood, I want to make some sugar cubes from it!......... ;D

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest durianlover88

if these resonators are still kept in their case, with the case left within the listening room, do they still work?

according to friends in japan, it seems that they can still affect a person's perception of sound when those bells are still stuff inside the acoustic foam.

now that would very interesting mystery, as these bells are touted to work based on resonating properties.

(meaning self vibrating upon being hit with sound waves, then while vibrating at a certain frequencies, changing the properties of the sound waves)

one very adventurous japanese audiophile even went as far as putting each of these metallic cups into individual glasses of water, then placed them around the listening room as per the original user manual. he found that they still can change the sound he hears.

when they are immersed in water, by right these bells should stop resonating, or, their resonance should be drastically reduced.

why would they still work at all?   

the fridge test further deepen this mystery. inside the fridge, the air was no longer connect with the atmosphere in the listening room.

Franck mentioned yesterday, as long as there is air and anything touching air - resonance will work.

Guest durianlover88

Francis - one more thing you forgot to mention - is how loud the preamp can now be turned on (vol 60 on the GAT) - without feeling stressed. In the same room, it used to be vol 32-35 and feeling the limit.

Guest durianlover88

I also trialled my platinum resonator (placed behind my wall mounted LCD TV) last night - turning the cup to wider angle - immediately the room sonics sounded more diffused. I have to turn it back though as that is the preference.

My wife has been complaining the 3-year old Samsung LCD TV sounded weak.

Now no more complaints with the TV sound ;D

To the guy who took my Gold, I want to tell him it will not work for him.

If you buy a Silver and replace it with the Gold, I must tell you this ............

The wood base for Silver / Gold is of different density and thickness.

what a pity. i think now you'll be wary about inviting people to your listening room

Guest durianlover88

Bro, yesterday when Franck was demonstrating hearing how resonator sounded when it is dropped, he bounced a gold resonator a number of times near the EMM Labs CDT. Maybe you want to focus the search on the rack areas around the EMM Labs CDT. Maybe it may be resting on the equipments or underneath them on the racks. He might also have dropped under the lowest racks too.

Guest durianlover88

I just called Alan, he said he searched about 50 times, not able to find.

Really Jia Lat liao!

Bro Meatballz - your Mali Mali Hom/Wong Tai Sin can provide devine help or not?

he said he searched about 50 times, not able to find.

Really Jia Lat liao!

wah, sibei jilat.

if the missing cup still in the room, and lying down somewhere out-of-sight in the wrong position/orientation, like that dunno will affect the audio system in what way....!

this will be audiophile worst nitemare - sound maybe degrade. but dunno where, what, or how.

hope you guys can quickly find the gold cup.

this gold resonator cup is said to control the room's high frequency response and should be installed as high as possible

if it is lying on the floor, then it might affect high freq imaging, by "pulling" down the height of the imaging.

and also, based on the testimonial of other users, and my own experiences, since it has to be placed in a position perfectly symmetrical to room geometry, if the missing cup is lying somewhere off from centre, imaging may also be skewed to one side.

now this is just a thought: since the device influence imaging geometry.....,

can a listener sit down and listen to the soundstage projection and be able to pin-point the location of the cup.....??????

for instance - if imaging height is lowered, and center-fill imaging is skewed the right channel heavily, maybe the missing cup is currently located somewhere on the floor along the boundary of the right wall?

and maybe, just maybe, if giraffe doesn't notice imaging height being lowered, and and center-fill vocal image still remains dead center, than it could also mean that the missing gold cup is no longer in the room or close proximity, and it could be now in somebody elses' pocket instead.

Eh I was searching for the sugar cube diagram.. can't seem to find the diagram =(

Anyway the resonator can't be pinpointed it is to enhance and alter the room acoustic to be integrated with the room energy.

You know it is working but you don't know where or what has been done unless you visually see.

Twisting the cups 180 degrees already dramatically changes the sonics of the acoustic energy- raising and lowering the cups also changes the sonics, tilting the sugar cubes right and left also changes how the presentation is.

weibchen : you were absolutely right about Tharman, I stand corrected :)

Francis : it's actually East Indian rosewood, I have a pool cue custom made from EI rosewood. But the holy grail is Brazilian rosewood for cues , also used in expensive acoustic guitars - but very rare and protected under cites. There have been articles in the web about people DIY-ing their own cubes, they have hole/s drilled thru them.

remember several years back Joe Lee of hifi corner/1388 used to go around helping enthusiasts tweak their system using 5-cents and/or some harmonica plates, vacuum tubes etc etc.  He also sold some amber beads for similar purpose.  but the 1388.com seemed to have a new owner and can no longer find those articles. :(

weibchen : you were absolutely right about Tharman, I stand corrected :)

Francis : it's actually East Indian rosewood, I have a pool cue custom made from EI rosewood. But the holy grail is Brazilian rosewood for cues , also used in expensive acoustic guitars - but very rare and protected under cites. There have been articles in the web about people DIY-ing their own cubes, they have hole/s drilled thru them.

So have you found out where I can get East Indian Rosewood!....... ;D

• 3 months later...