Frank TChang's resonator tweaks/ASI cables

Guest francis woo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giraffe, hope you find the missing cup - try and do it tomorrow morning when there's sunlight.

Before Francis started this thread last year he asked me if I've heard of ASI, and I remembered answering Franck Tchang! ;D Had first heard of him back in '06 in a 6moon article, he sounded like a wizard in that write-up.

Thanks for the opportunity to meet Franck at your place and of course thank you Franck for taking the time to give his take on everything, from music, equipment, "voodoo"  :)

Yes, "voodoo" because who could've thought I could hear a silver cup being taken out of a fridge two rooms away behind a closed door. I hope its on the video which I'm trying to upload on youtube .. sorry I had to leave early because my afternoon appointments start at 2 and I left at 2  :-[

Reading about Franck's resonators back then lead me to read up alot on Tibetan singing bowls and their purported healing properties. I've also ordered a collection of little silver bowls on ebay  :o to experiment  :D ...today was the first time I've seen them though, didn't realize they were so small.

Alan, the bells were on the table next to the sofa seat, have you check underneath it!!

Anyway, thank you for the opportunity for me to meet up with the voodoo wizard.  The demonstration on room treatment is an eye opener.  A slight positional shift of the bells, brought up immense changes in the sonic presentation.  You want near field, depth, wider sound stage, off axis listening, richer mid, higher extension.etc, etc.. all can be achieved with his expensive bells!!...... ;D  Variety is certainly the spice of life.  So many flavors for an individual to choose from, according to his taste and preference!

Couldn't believe that a bell in the fridge can also bring changes tot he sound in the room!!.... ::)  Hey, what about the air con compressor when it's running?  put a bell in it too!!... ::)

According to him, it has to do with sound pressure and the constant movement of air in the atmosphere, don't ask me to elaborate!!...... :P

One thing for sure, he doesn't like footers below his amps period as they kill the richness of the mid.  So, I guess Giraffe is selling his Cold Rays now!!.... ;D

He likes his music played loud, like in a concert, with wide sound stage and the full force of the music hitting his body and through him, he doesn't like feedback from the rear!! ..in other words, loads of dynamic!  In order to achieve this, he said that his up and coming Class A monos will have 1,000 watts into 8 ohms per channel to drive you guys crazy!!.... ;D

He is not into Tubes because of its bandwidth limitations!  He said that bi-wiring is better if it is done correctly, especially on the design of the speakers crossovers!!

Have I missed out anything!!

Anyway, he is really a down to earth guy, with a little ego but without putting you off, happy to impart his knowledge and genuinely friendly..... :D

this metal bell in the fridge sounds like woodoo to me, as I am sure it did to many of you guys before you heard it in action and got convinced. If it works, it works I guess..

Made me wonder, how about changing power cord to the fridge? or add a conditioner? toac footers? copper pipes ;)

And what about the neighbours fridge?

Also wondering, how do you "sell" the idea to the wife?

this metal bell in the fridge sounds like woodoo to me, as I am sure it did to many of you guys before you heard it in action and got convinced. If it works, it works I guess..

Made me wonder, how about changing power cord to the fridge? or add a conditioner? toac footers? copper pipes ;)

And what about the neighbours fridge?

Also wondering, how do you "sell" the idea to the wife?

Ha ha! I'm also damn curious about this- soo easy to do a blind test though :P

"One thing for sure, he doesn't like footers below his amps period as they kill the richness of the mid."

- Actually what Franck said was, because the transformers were so high and heavy on the Jadis power amps any vibration within would be magnified if the amps are not solidly placed ... or something to that effect  :)

He also changed the soundstage by changing the axis of the tiny wooden cubes stuck to the wall - quite discernible.

The fridge episode, I think Francis asked how the music sounded without the resonator in the fridge - he asked Giraffe take it out. So Giraffe went out, closed the door and we were listening intently - I could hear it the moment he took it out, Franck confirmed a second later. Then I expected Giraffe coming back with the resonator, but a short while later I noticed another change and a millisecond later Franck said he has put it back in. I was like fwah what if Giraffe came back with the resonator ... but indeed when he came back Giraffe told us he put it back twenty seconds later.

"One thing for sure, he doesn't like footers below his amps period as they kill the richness of the mid."

- Actually what Franck said was, because the transformers were so high and heavy on the Jadis power amps any vibration within would be magnified if the amps are not solidly placed ... or something to that effect  :)

He also changed the soundstage by changing the axis of the tiny wooden cubes stuck to the wall - quite discernible.

The fridge episode, I think Francis asked how the music sounded without the resonator in the fridge - he asked Giraffe take it out. So Giraffe went out, closed the door and we were listening intently - I could hear it the moment he took it out, Franck confirmed a second later. Then I expected Giraffe coming back with the resonator, but a short while later I noticed another change and a millisecond later Franck said he has put it back in. I was like fwah what if Giraffe came back with the resonator ... but indeed when he came back Giraffe told us he put it back twenty seconds later.

i'm sure u guys could hear it.. but what was the change? ;D

we should be mindful that bro Giraffe's system and room is well balanced even before Franck's tuning. Henceforth, we are able to listen to the difference in Franck's adjustment of the room acoustic and air flow yesterday.

If it's a system with zhap pah lang cables and power supply, I do not think putting one in the fridge and AC compressor will make any difference.

i'm sure u guys could hear it.. but what was the change? ;D

Unfortunately I was so concentrating on hearing for change in sound signature that I couldn't remember what was the change in that twenty seconds, perhaps others could chime in?

If I remembered correctly, Franck mentioned something about the fridge being a box (like a speaker enclosure), presumably it pushes out low frequency waves.

Maybe one way to try at home is to get someone to turn off your fridge while you're listening in the room.

if these resonators are still kept in their case, with the case left within the listening room, do they still work?

according to friends in japan, it seems that they can still affect a person's perception of sound when those bells are still stuff inside the acoustic foam.

now that would very interesting mystery, as these bells are touted to work based on resonating properties.

(meaning self vibrating upon being hit with sound waves, then while vibrating at a certain frequencies, changing the properties of the sound waves)

one very adventurous japanese audiophile even went as far as putting each of these metallic cups into individual glasses of water, then placed them around the listening room as per the original user manual. he found that they still can change the sound he hears.

when they are immersed in water, by right these bells should stop resonating, or, their resonance should be drastically reduced.

why would they still work at all?    

the fridge test further deepen this mystery. inside the fridge, the air was no longer connect with the atmosphere in the listening room.