a speaker that can rock better than Harbeth C7ES2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

What's a good speaker for rock music?  Currently using Harbeth Compact 7ES2, find it polite for rock music.  

Budget of 6-8k range.

Thanks

A good speaker for rock at this price range is ATC (SCM19 or SCM20). Definitely more rockable than Harbeth. Problem is that they are power hungry.

Me too find Harbeth too polite for rock, though overall nice speaker. I did consider SHL5 and C7 when I was seaching for new pair of speaker last year. Gave up the idea after listening them in multiple occasion. Besides too polite for rock, I have also some concern on the reliability if i wack them loud (well...maybe some might consider that as missuse :)). In fact, the dealer told me Harbeth is not for 100db guy ;D

I am not familiar with the older range of Exposure amps. Are they Class A 40W or Class A/B 40W?

Anyway, with 40W, you better find something that is high in sensitivity. Around 94db and above. That will help. Klipsch does have high sensitivity. Dynaudio will be definitely out!

Hi 42.2,

I presume your username is Sunshine on the Harbeth User forum.

Yes, the Harbeths are not the best speakers for rock music. When I had the Plinius SA-100Mk3 on the SHL5s the speakers sounded like mud. Both LFD and Naim will render Harbeth speakers more presentable in rock music. If the Harbeth still don't sound good with these amps then you need to look at other speakers. I do not have experience with your Exposure amps so no comment.

I listen to a lot of U2(don't know if this can be classified as rock) on the Harbeth and the speakers are rocking like they never did before with the Naim amps. My previous amps(Plinius, Mcintosh MC275Mk4, Rega Elicit) all faltered miserably with the Harbeth in pop and rock.

ATC certainly can rock, and they rock hard too. The bigger ATC speakers have heavy duty drivers and can play at insane volume levels without losing control. As acknowledged, they need huge power to sound good.

Another speaker you can consider is Proac. They rock better than Harbeth and are equally easy to drive. The smaller floorstanders(D-series) are quite good. The buyer of my Plinius amp is driving his Proac floorstanders with the Plinius amp, and he listens predominantly to hard-core metal. 

Hi Ryder,

Harbeth is a good speaker, no doubt, as commented by Key as well.  When it comes to rock, i find Harbeth rocks politely.  Wanted a speaker that has a bit more aggression.

I'll go listen to some speakers, now seeking recommendation.

Thanks

Hi 42.2,

No problem. Another suggestion is you might want to post on the HUG asking Alan if rock music would sound good with the new Harbeth amp driving the C7ES2s. It would be interesting to note what he has to say. Obviously he can't blame his speakers and will find something to blame upon. Since his opinion is all amps sound the same, he would probably blame the CD player, room or setup in the failure of the Harbeth in playing rock music. :-)

Anyway just food for thought.

I have friends who are not into Harbeth(they all listen to rock and dynamic music and favor deep bass with impact) and they own PMC EB1is and Apogees. Not suitable for your application though as similarly to the ATCs these speakers require massive power to come alive.

Good luck in your speaker hunting.

Talking about DIY speakers, actually they can be seriously considered if one intends to play rock music at high SPLs but want to keep budget low(below S$1.5k) Some of my friends have already gone this route. The woofers(12" or 15") are purchased from Ebay and cabinets are built by themselves or a carpenter, open baffle at the back. These speakers can really blast and they go really loud. It is all about SPLs and for this reason the speakers are great for rock music. Refinement and tonality will be a compromise though.

Not ready to change my amplifiers, do not think my amps(40 watts) can drive C1.

Did it occur to you that your amp might be the weak like in your setup beside your Harbeth's? Imo, it's time to change. Cheers.

Did it occur to you that your amp might be the weak like in your setup beside your Harbeth's? Imo, it's time to change. Cheers.

If it's the M30, I would likely agree the amp may not have enough juice.  The C7ES3 is not that hard to drive.  On the rockability quotient, I think M30 cant rock as well as the C7ES3 or C7ES2.  But it has it own charm which I like a lot.  :)

If it's the M30, I would likely agree the amp may not have enough juice.  The C7ES3 is not that hard to drive.  On the rockability quotient, I think M30 cant rock as well as the C7ES3 or C7ES2.  But it has it own charm which I like a lot.  :)

Oh well, if one were to listen to rock music, doesn't one needs a powerful amp? A 40 watters amp may sounds loud but it does not have full control of the overall sound, imo.

Hi Jsen,

I do not hear/see any issue with my amps driving Harbeth, just that rock is not Harbeth forte.

As for rock music needs more power....not sure.  Classical music with big dynamics and low cello frequency should demand more power than rock i reckon.  Anyway, i'm seeking for speaker change.

Later

I've heard of Quad 606 driving shl5 that rocks well

but I've heard a AN-E that rocks very well! it goes to that kind of dept that shl5 cannot reach, even in a room with lesser acoustics layout.

Try listen to AN-E, if u like what u hear but find it too costly brand new, try your luck in the 2nd hand market

Oh well, if one were to listen to rock music, doesn't one needs a powerful amp? A 40 watters amp may sounds loud but it does not have full control of the overall sound, imo.

exposure watts are like naim watts. Do not belittle it's ability to drive by just looking at the numbers. ;-) Furthermore 42.2's exposure is a monoblock which I reckon will be close to naim nap200 in terms of drive.

Hi Jsen,

I do not hear/see any issue with my amps driving Harbeth, just that rock is not Harbeth forte.

As for rock music needs more power....not sure.  Classical music with big dynamics and low cello frequency should demand more power than rock i reckon.  Anyway, i'm seeking for speaker change.

Later

Hi 42.2,

Don't get me wrong. It might be alright for your current amp to drive the C7es2. If you're seeking a new sets of speakers, don't you feel that you also need to a new amp too? Just my thought only. Cheers.

exposure watts are like naim watts. Do not belittle it's ability to drive by just looking at the numbers. ;-) Furthermore 42.2's exposure is a monoblock which I reckon will be close to naim nap200 in terms of drive.

Oic, no wonder some Harbeth's owners are using Naim to drive their speakers.  :)

Since his opinion is all amps sound the same, he would probably blame the CD player, room or setup in the failure of the Harbeth in playing rock music. :-)

you are kidding...

You can try Living Voice Auditorium 2 speakers too. 94db speakers which shld suit ur Exposures quite well. Btw, great classic amps u got there  :)

Living voice is a nice sounding speaker, its fast with good bass extension (just have to be careful with its compatibility with room size). Might be a good idea to buy a set of spare drivers up front (if not too ex), since the paper driver need to be replaced after few years.