Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

dergib;108209 wrote:
anyone do the "Holographic Experience"? The sticker on the outside of the BR disk says there is a special insert, the website says you have to download and print something. Did they just forget mine or is someone taking the Mick? What's with the sticker then?

Yup,gave it a go. You have to download and print a star trek image. The result though is quite spectacular as you end up pretty much holding in your hand a scale model enterprise with fully working warp capabilities and weapons. Pretty cool :)

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW does Amazon still have a price protection policy? eg if you buy a title at say 24.99 and it drops to 22.99 before release... do they adjust your purchase price lower?

Amazon.com's price protection only applies to pre-orders, and until the point it is officially released.

However, I notice that if we wait a few weeks more after 1st release, the price will usually fall further.

ARIKIP;108266 wrote:
Yup,gave it a go. You have to download and print a star trek image. The result though is quite spectacular as you end up pretty much holding in your hand a scale model enterprise with fully working warp capabilities and weapons. Pretty cool
:)

Is it like those Weetbix cards or the DSE catalogue whatever where you hold it up to your webcam kinda thing?

Ultimate version of Watchmen is already available for pre-order on Amazon - release in Dec or Jan, I think.

There is a special deal on Up and Monsters Inc - order both and you get US$10 off (i.e US$5 per disc).

And Amazon's Blu-ray pricing has taken a step in the right direction. In the past, I've ranted about their practice of dropping the price a few days or weeks after release, which penalizes those who pre-order. However, in recent weeks they've dropped price on certain popular Blu-rays on the release day itself, and either charged the lower price or given a refund (if the item shipped before the official release day). So it's 'safer' nowadays to pre-order. I think the sales volume of Blu-rays has gotten good enough for do that, or alternatively they are trying to encourage sales leading up to the X'mas holiday shopping period.

I do agree that Black Friday will have many great bargains but if last year's promo was any indication, they'd be for much older titles. I doubt we'd get a much more substantial discount on the newly released titles.

Have the following on my cart.. have to say the prices are pretty damn tempting as is:

Up (4 disc set) for 22.99

Inglorious Basterds (2 disc) for 19.99

Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut) for 17.99

GI Joe (2 disc) for 19.99

Was originally going to go for Watchmen (Director's Cut) but I remember reading there is going to be a newer release so don't want to double dip.

Am waiting for Star Trek to really get to the sweet spot. I think 22.99 will be OK for me.

BTW does Amazon still have a price protection policy? eg if you buy a title at say 24.99 and it drops to 22.99 before release... do they adjust your purchase price lower?

avecha;108126 wrote:
...Transformers Imax edition.

Well that was pretty full on! Didn't see it at the movies so must have been impressive in the right theatre! There was a prolonged IMAX scene 'in the forest' - several minutes - so it probably represented half of the total IMAX footage in the film... After that I didn't pay attention but (Spoonsey take note :) ) I found the transitions quite seamless and unnoticeable (as they were with the Dark Knight)... Ernie popped over to swap my RS1 pads & watched it as well - so he may comment otherwise... :)

Yes indeed. It was a full on viewing tonight of Transformers at theatre Mycenius. I think we missed some of the architectural scale that the iMax version would have showed off to the movie's best advantage.

The forest battle was impressive, but the scene that got me most was the clarity and deep focus of the yellow team arriving outside the Egyptian temple. Cool on plasma, but it was the scene of great architectural appreciation, (and the Bay's eye view of Megan Fox -- made me want to be a frat boy...).

As for transitions, the damn movie was cut so quickly I didn't have time to notice. A good Bordeaux and excellent presentation. Cheers M.

Target, starts thursday

some blus on page 10 of the turn it on catalouge ^_^

http://target.dynamiccatalogue.com.au/port...&gotopage=1

serenity

TDK

gran torino

Twister

the house of flying daggers

van helsing

matrix

journey to the centre of the earth

heat

batman begins

shooter

the incredible hulk

top gun

cloverfield

made of honour

st trinians

the jane ausin book club

speed racer

2 for $40 :)

and they have Transformers Revenge of the Fallen for $29.95 on page 14 :D

Edited by mcduck

mycenius;108287 wrote:
Well that was pretty full on! Didn't see it at the movies so must have been impressive
in the right theatre
!

I saw it at the Embassy in Wellington and ill have to admit it was the best sounding theatre i have ever been too. Awesome clarity and effortless bass in a theatre of that size was surprising. The picture was almost as good as the sound....but yeah those smaller movie complexes dont stand a chance. Pretty full on movie though huh....definitely on my shopping list this week. :D

Cool. My IMAX version shouldn't be too far away - my mate is back from the US so he'll hopefully post it to me soon.

On the subject of Star Trek, I watched this THREE times over the weekend, once by myself, once with my 6 year old (I deemed the content to be OK for him) and finally last night with my wife. When is the last time I watched a film three times in one weekend? Never. This movie rocks and even the Mrs thought it was ace.:D

Does anyone own this on Blu? I've read some good things about it but am unsure whether it would stand up to repeat viewing. It's about 11 quid on Amazon UK at the moment.

Seems to be the thinking man's "Twilight" (which incidentally I thought was rubbish).

Thoughts appreciated.

Target, starts thursday

and they have Transformers Revenge of the Fallen for $29.95 on page 14 :D

Thanks u make my day. I have about $100 of Target vouchers didnt know what to do now i know what to buy.

Also if u click the TF2 image to enlarge it it say Digital Copy Special Edition? What that suppose to mean?

Spoonsey;108297 wrote:
On the subject of Star Trek, I watched this THREE times over the weekend, once by myself, once with my 6 year old (I deemed the content to be OK for him) and finally last night with my wife. When is the last time I watched a film three times in one weekend? Never. This movie rocks and even the Mrs thought it was ace.
:D

But did you pick the big plot/consistency gawwfff in the drill over Vulcan scene... :D

When the drill operates it prevents warp travel and blocks all communications - HOWEVER, when Kirk & Sulu Space Jump on to the drill platform, they:

1. Can communicate with each other by their suit radios, and
  2. The Enterprise can track their positions & life signs (it's unclear if they are transmitting this via radio form the suit or the Enterprise is scanning and detecting it - either way the drill 'effects' should have prevented it).
so bit of a plot inconsistency that I didn't notice originally at the theatre, only watching the blu-ray on Saturday, but something pretty obvious in hindsight...