Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

me normally only hv weekend to listen. i will not let it run when no one at hm oso.

I use a Squeezebox Duet as my source and I can log in remotely to my server from the office ;) Good thing abt the SB is that you can have a very very long playlist so at least your neighbours won't be hearing the same old song over and over again. My development also usually DINKIES so probably no one else around during the day either. I left it at moderate levels so not really loud levels.

I roughly know what kind of levels would be playing at (can even the SB server software to adjust volume on the fly) and thankfully, no one has complained. I played for 24 hours straight for a week (lowering the volumes during the night) when my wife went on her trip :P

I use a Squeezebox Duet as my source and I can log in remotely to my server from the office ;) Good thing abt the SB is that you can have a very very long playlist so at least your neighbours won't be hearing the same old song over and over again. My development also usually DINKIES so probably no one else around during the day either. I left it at moderate levels so not really loud levels.

I roughly know what kind of levels would be playing at (can even the SB server software to adjust volume on the fly) and thankfully, no one has complained. I played for 24 hours straight for a week (lowering the volumes during the night) when my wife went on her trip :P

Brudder, we have a lot to learn from you :o

Use the face to face and out of phase method to run in.

Place the speakers face to face. Then connect one of them out of phase. Then just set your CDP to play in repeat.

Should be able to run in faster.

You can also listen at lower volume if you do not want to do the above.

At least the speakers get some work out instead of not using them.

For goodness sake, they are just speakers, enjoy them first.

Use them in HT, for the radio etc

Otherwise they will not be ready before X Mas!

So they sound a little shrill, big deal friend, let them be and use it for something.

Cheers

Brudder, read my reply  . . .. . . one hour plus only! :'( :'(

Wah, you left your stereo on with nobody at home? I dare not try leh . .. .it'll take me a year o two going at this rate. :o

For goodness sake, they are just speakers, enjoy them first.

Use them in HT, for the radio etc

Otherwise they will not be ready before X Mas!

So they sound a little shrill, big deal friend, let them be and use it for something.

Cheers

Yeah brudder, I'll do that but I'm kind of pissed  :(. . . . she knows that and is trying very hard to undo the "damage" she has done. It'll take a couple of days for me to cool down  :-\

My poor darlings (RS6) :'(

Maybe Mrs Pong! feeling jealous that u "sayang" the MA speakers more than her? 

At least my RS6 do not nag at me . . . .  ;D

Do a bit of calculation, run in an hour a day Mon to Fri that'll be 5 hours

Weekends will do about 8 hours total . . .  13 per week, that's 52 hours per month

My darlings will be ready around National Day . . .. . YAY!!  ;D ;D

Pong.....

My own experience with my 2 month+ RS6s are that there is no magic no of hours when they break in. They are pieces of rubber and metal, each piece is different, will depend on temperature, type of music etc.

I've listened to it for most nights for about 1.5-2 hours, so they have clocked in perhaps about 60 hours? But I dont listen at very high levels, so it should take longer for my speakers. But the other day I played something loud and they sounded good to me.

Kinda tells you that running in is not an exact science.

I actually agree with cstan, maybe you should try the out-of-phase method. Take it to another room, set it up, and let it run there during the night when you sleep. You can even follow Doggie's suggestion and throw a blanket/duvet over it. 1 week of that and it should be warmed up nicely already.

Use the face to face and out of phase method to run in.

Place the speakers face to face. Then connect one of them out of phase. Then just set your CDP to play in repeat.

Should be able to run in faster.

You can also listen at lower volume if you do not want to do the above.

At least the speakers get some work out instead of not using them.

yup, i used this method too... think is the best way, by doing it out of phase and keeping them very very near, you will not hear the music even if playing at moderately loud level. Cover it with some blankets and pillow will muffled all the leaked sound as well :)

Let it run for 1 week continuous, and you will have your speakers run-in at around 150+ hours :) Should be good enough....

BTW if you guys like the RS 6, wait till you try the GS 20 and LCR.

I can do a demo of the GS series, you can come over this weekend...

For now, just enjoy your speakers.

Pete, for a moment I thought you had upgraded to the GS20 from your GS10. Then checked your sig, still see the GS10 there.

Noticed that your Stereo set up, you are using BWs. What happened there? Nothing in the MA range which suits your music tastes?

I've hardly used my RSLCR and R90 surrounds (maybe 1 hour since delivery in March?). Lazy to set up HT....

I don't Have to get MA you know...

In fact my fav pair of stereo speakers under 5k is the Spendor S6E.

I can talk more about other brands in another thread.

I am a little surprised that bro rafale found the MA RS too 'warm' for his HT purposes.

Maybe he should come listen to our setups. Happy to oblige

I don't Have to get MA you know...

In fact my fav pair of stereo speakers under 5k is the Spendor S6E.

I can talk more about other brands in another thread.

I am a little surprised that bro rafale found the MA RS too 'warm' for his HT purposes.

Maybe he should come listen to our setups. Happy to oblige

I know. Just wanted to hear your thoughts when selecting speakers for HT and music. I'm also quite certain I will not get a MA for my next speaker.

My own recommendation to a friend who was setting up an almost pure HT set up was the RS series, most bang for the buck for that price range, even if many thought it accentuated the trebles ("bright") for music; that trait seems to work well for HT.

I know. Just wanted to hear your thoughts when selecting speakers for HT and music. I'm also quite certain I will not get a MA for my next speaker.

My own recommendation to a friend who was setting up an almost pure HT set up was the RS series, most bang for the buck for that price range, even if many thought it accentuated the trebles ("bright") for music; that trait seems to work well for HT.

i think for HT, slightly "bright" shld be still ok. think this may make the sound more realistic. but for stereo listening, i may not be able to take it.

i find bright HT setup to sound impressive during demos but will be very tiring for prolong period.. especially those movies with long heavy scenes like war movies etc...

i think for HT, slightly "bright" shld be still ok. think this may make the sound more realistic. but for stereo listening, i may not be able to take it.

Ya la, that's why you gotto tame any such sound with them tubeys....!!  ;D

As an aside, I wonder if anybody else thinks that "bright" gives an unfavourable connotation?

I have actually been trying to avoid using the word "bright". I've noticed in this forum that it is viewed as a negative trait, which may not be helpful for those who are reviewing/auditioning speakers. Some people may actually like the trebles accentuated (just as much as some are bass nuts) - for example, those who listen to a lot of chinese instrumental music. Some noobies may discount speakers which may actually be quite suitable for them just because they read somewhere that its "bright".

IMO, tubeys go really well with MAs. They tame some of the shrillness of the highs but still allow the detail to go through. Still have Cayinist to thank for the A55T. Me now a tubey man through and thorugh, particularly with the MA RS6s. 

the Thiel or the Ribbon poison? :D

No la. My wife and I are happy enough with our RS6s now. But I get itchy after a few years and always want to try something new. My first ever speaker was a MA but later I switched to KEF, did not like it so went for MA again this time around. Who knows.... I may go for Dynaudio next, may not like it, then go back to MA yet again......

i find bright HT setup to sound impressive during demos but will be very tiring for prolong period.. especially those movies with long heavy scenes like war movies etc...

But isn't HT all about sound and effects, slam-bam-thank-you-maam type of experience, that gives you an emotional ride and after that you get all tired and spent anyway??  ;D ;D

I have actually been trying to avoid using the word "bright". I've noticed in this forum that it is viewed as a negative trait, which may not be helpful for those who are reviewing/auditioning speakers. Some people may actually like the trebles accentuated (just as much as some are bass nuts) - for example, those who listen to a lot of chinese instrumental music. Labelling a speaker as bright seems to connote a negativity on the speaker and some noobies may discount speakers which may actually be quite suitable for them. I wonder if anybody thinks this way too?

IMO, tubeys go really well with MAs. They tame some of the shrillness of the highs but still allow the detail to go through. Still have Cayinist to thank for the A55T. Me now a tubey man through and thorugh, particularly with the MA RS6s. 

sori bro. my apologise for the word used. i do agree what u said. anyway, let ur ears be the judge. if they like it, then get it. if they dun, then drop it.  ;D simple advice  ;)

I have actually been trying to avoid using the word "bright". I've noticed in this forum that it is viewed as a negative trait, which may not be helpful for those who are reviewing/auditioning speakers. Some people may actually like the trebles accentuated (just as much as some are bass nuts) - for example, those who listen to a lot of chinese instrumental music. Labelling a speaker as bright seems to connote a negativity on the speaker and some noobies may discount speakers which may actually be quite suitable for them. I wonder if anybody thinks this way too?

Personally, "bright" to me cannot be considered as a cons. In most cases, we should further listen to it and hear if the additional brightness does contribute to better/more details? or will it cause the overall to be too 'dry' or overly analytical? or will cause listening fatigue after pro-longed usage...etc..

sori bro. my apologise for the word used. i do agree what u said. anyway, let ur ears be the judge. if they like it, then get it. if they dun, then drop it.  ;D simple advice  ;)

eh Max, sorry, have amended my posted reply, not meaning to say that anybody's wrong, but just to air a view which I have formed. No worries, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, even if they want to bash up the MAs (in a civil way of course) - after all, its my ears that matter!   ;D

Personally, "bright" to me cannot be considered as a cons. In most cases, we should further listen to it and hear if the additional brightness does contribute to better/more details? or will it cause the overall to be too 'dry' or overly analytical? or will cause listening fatigue after pro-longed usage...etc..

agree.. "bright" is merely a characteristc.. it can be con if it's 'too' bright or 'not enough' bright. Heh.

Just to share this.

For those who maybe considering the anti-cables, they tighten up the bass, but add an extra 'shine' to the treble, so I would have to say, they are not the best partner for MAs.

Stick to copper, eg the XT tube 300 - the only one in that QED range which is not silver.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add myself to the list of MA owners thread.

I've just upgraded to:

GS10s as rears, (I dont have walls in the right place for GSFX)

GSLCR center,

GSW12 subwoofer,

and waiting for the GS60s to be delivered.

I'm using a Denon 4308 and Denon 3910.

Anyone here also using the GSW12?

Upgrading from a passive sub, I'm confused by the options.

Thought I'd add myself to the list of MA owners thread.

I've just upgraded to:

GS10s as rears, (I dont have walls in the right place for GSFX)

GSLCR center,

GSW12 subwoofer,

and waiting for the GS60s to be delivered.

I'm using a Denon 4308 and Denon 3910.

Anyone here also using the GSW12?

Upgrading from a passive sub, I'm confused by the options.

that looks familiar!

i recently added a denon 4308 to run my GS60's as well (source currently a denon 3930). does a great job imho.

still deciding on subs myself. havent heard the GSW12 but apparently its very good. i'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.