Dsotm Vinyl/cd Obsevations.

I made some direct comparisons between vinyl and cd recordings of Dark Side of The Moon over the week end and have to say that overall the cd was streets ahead of the LP in most respects.

The cd obviously had no problem with surface noise but the thing that staggered me was the lower frequencies were so much more obvious/better on the cd, in particular the heart beats at the beginning of the first track were bl**dy marvellous.

The thing that did surprise me was the dialogue at the beginning of the track (I've been mad for f*****g years, absolutely years) on the vinyl it was quite audible and understandable on the cd I could hear a voice but not make out most of the words.

Overall musically I found the cd a much more satisfying experience.

So now the question is what to do, do I continue down the road in my search for a better tt or do I simply accept what I have, continue to expand my cd collection and play my old lp's when and as the mood takes me, I suspect the second choice will be my preferred option. :biggrin:

I made some direct comparisons between vinyl and cd recordings of Dark Side of The Moon over the week end and have to say that overall the cd was streets ahead of the LP in most respects.

The cd obviously had no problem with surface noise but the thing that staggered me was the lower frequencies were so much more obvious/better on the cd, in particular the heart beats at the beginning of the first track were bl**dy marvellous.

The thing that did surprise me was the dialogue at the beginning of the track (I've been mad for f*****g years, absolutely years) on the vinyl it was quite audible and understandable on the cd I could hear a voice but not make out most of the words.

Overall musically I found the cd a much more satisfying experience.

So now the question is what to do, do I continue down the road in my search for a better tt or do I simply accept what I have, continue to expand my cd collection and play my old lp's when and as the mood takes me, I suspect the second choice will be my preferred option. :biggrin:[/b]

Hi Jon , It all depends on the $$$$ , The LP has more information on it . So has the capability to beat the CD

Time to discover if your TT is performing at its best, Maybe your copy of DSOTM is worn

MD

G'day Jon

There are so many variables.

The pressing quality of the vinyl.

The condition of the vinyl, TT, cartridge, arm, phono stage etc.

I like both CD & vinyl camps. You can do both.

A recent GtG saw the vinyl win (just) IMHO.

One day I will replace my sold TT. Ah, one of life's regrets.

But I still have 1 box of vinyl left, just waiting to be played.

G

You could well be right MD, the lp has been well played and is in good used condition, the TT may not be up to scratch but dont think I would be prepared to spend big bucks trying to prove a point when I find what I am hearing from CD's very acceptable, as I said I guess it's all pretty subjective. :biggrin:

Hi Jon , It all depends on the $$$$ , The LP has more information on it . So has the capability to beat the CD

Time to discover if your TT is performing at its best, Maybe your copy of DSOTM is worn

MD[/b]

A GTG would certainly be the way to experience the differences between the two media without having to lay out a bundle of cash. :biggrin:

G'day Jon

There are so many variables.

The pressing quality of the vinyl.

The condition of the vinyl, TT, cartridge, arm, phono stage etc.

I like both CD & vinyl camps. You can do both.

A recent GtG saw the vinyl win (just) IMHO.

One day I will replace my sold TT. Ah, one of life's regrets.

But I still have 1 box of vinyl left, just waiting to be played.

G[/b]

mr-happy-pants and I compared the CD version of DSOTM to my DTS 4.1 version and the DTS version absolutely killed the CD version.

Ill make sure that I bring it along to the next GTG.[/b]

i have 7 versions of this recording , i dont have a turntable set up i find the dts version to be the best compared to cd

that is 3 on vinyl 2 on cd , sacd and one dts[/b]

Um, what's this DTS version I'm hearing about?

Is it a DVD? or a DTS CD (I think there is such a beast??)

Jon if you are into DVD's you must here DSOTM as part of the 'PULSE' live concert. I think I enjoy this version the most; Of course, PULSE is also a great double CD as well[/b]

I agree with mr Grumpy, although i only have a standard cd version of the original, i have not heard on super audio or DTS versions ;)

You could well be right MD, the lp has been well played and is in good used condition, the TT may not be up to scratch but dont think I would be prepared to spend big bucks trying to prove a point when I find what I am hearing from CD's very acceptable, as I said I guess it's all pretty subjective. :biggrin:[/b]

I also agree with Jon on this one.

i have heard a lot of people saying vinyl is better, but unless i had a lot of cash spare it unfortunately will never be a priority for me. but like you say would be good to hear someone else's decent TT at a GTG :biggrin: maybe it might inspire ;)

Honestly George, having a much sort after, pristine copy of new pressing of your favourite album and a TT is a bit like a stone thrower having a brand new bag of stones and living in a glass world. One use of your new aquisition and the cracks start to appear; Or should that be cracks, popps and scratches? :blush:

I just don't get it!!

Jon if you are into DVD's you must here DSOTM as part of the 'PULSE' live concert. I think I enjoy this version the most; Of course, PULSE is also a great double CD as well[/b]
I have the DVD's and love this concert, but I play it stereo or down mixed to stereo as I just have the pair of towers, still sounds great :biggrin:

Mmmm....Sam Brown ;)

Ain't she sweet. Been a fan since she sang "STOP"; What voice.[/b]
That was a song i had forgoten till now, cheers ;)

If sugar was anywhere as sweet, it would be illegal :wink:

Well the gtg where we compared vinyl to CD was at my place. I was very happy that my TT (with a good phono stage brought along by JasperT) held up against using the CD player as a transport with a good external DAC (also courtesy of JasperT). I thought the vinyl sounded slightly better and you also have to remember that my TT is good but certainly not in the thousands of dollars league, it's also 35 years old. I would say though that it was a very close run thing. You need a good recording on both formats too though. This is always an argument about taste but I prefer the sound of vinyl, it's a preference though, no more than that, I still listen to CDs and even occasionally buy them.

Now as for a live version, I've never heard Pulse but really, DSOTM performed live in what, the 80s or 90s, give me a break. I'll take the bootleg of a 1972 version thanks.

DS

so how would you do a comparison , should it be done in such a way that one should put a monetary value on the equipment such as a$3000.oo cd player to a $3000.oo turntable set up to be fair and would you compare the following

normal vinyl to normal cd

moblie fedility half speed master vinyl to mobile fidelity gold cd

or mobile fidelity uhqr pressing if anyone has it to sacd

so how would you do a comparison , should it be done in such a way that one should put a monetary value on the equipment such as a$3000.oo cd player to a $3000.oo turntable set up to be fair and would you compare the following

or mobile fidelity uhqr pressing if anyone has it to sacd[/b]

Then do a comparison a year later after constant playing and see if the LP still sounds as good as the CD. I think not!!!

Nope, none of these, simply make a comparison between a vinyl and CD recording of the same performance on your own system then decide which you prefer, sure you may not have the best TT or CD player in the world but honestly who cares? you only have to satisfy yourself, if you prefer one over the other the answer is pretty darned obvious as to what path you should follow.

However if you want to join the never ending quest for the ultimate source, system, amp, TT, CD player, blah blah blah then go for it, just dont try to tell everyone else that their gear is crap by comparison.

It aint rocket science ya know. :biggrin:

or mobile fidelity uhqr pressing if anyone has it to sacd[/b]

Must look into it Grumpy, I now have the DVD player going through the DC-X's fantastic. :biggrin:

I'd have to agree Grumpy, those CDs, they don't last very well do they ;) I have records which are older than me and still play fine.

Now with DSOTM I wasn't talking the 1973 studio album, I was talking the 1973 live bootleg, that would be the live version with all 4 members of the band and still working out the final shape of the songs, great stuff.

DS