SVS PC-Ultra available for order

Same for me when I went from a REL Storm3 to SVS.

The difference was beyond believe. Even ABT's mouth dropped and my heart sank when we compared between a REL Storm3($2.3k) vs a 20-39+(<$2k).

The difference was so great that it didn't need a A/B comparison. The impact was just different.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't tempt me... :'(

pocket empty liao... :'(

Same for me when I went from a REL Storm3 to SVS.

The difference was beyond believe. Even ABT's mouth dropped and my heart sank when we compared between a REL Storm3($2.3k) vs a 20-39+(<$2k).

The difference was so great that it didn't need a A/B comparison. The impact was just different.

well, that's crap...I mean my having to wait at least one more frigging week. The only saving grace is that I strike toto or 4d before the sub ships! ;D That would offset the wait nicely...heh heh..

Muscular27, better watch your dvd spending...it can really get out of hand. I have so many dvds nowadays that I have to constantly find large toyogo containers to store, and even have to trim the collection by selling off once in a while. Fortunately, I already have all the bassy dvds...no need to buy anything 'special'...for now.

Enjoy your bass!

oh....and jag, so what's your next one going to be? a B4+?

MY next sub could still very well be a SVS........ but my choice sub must be a stock tune of 16hz or less.........

That puts only 1 model on the line...... the SS....... but thats mighty expensive.

I might go for a DIY design.........that can satisfy my needs. Will not be looking at anymore subs that can be bought in any singapore shop.

B4+? Never. It looks too ugly to even consider........ I'll try to probe what Tom V has got in future line-ups to plan my purchase.

Ordering direct from SVS is quite 'painful' with all the wait.

To be fair, there is a wait only because the PCU is a new model, so they're deluged with pre-orders, as well as the recent Christmas/end-of-year rush. When I bought my PCi 1.5 years ago, it was fairly quick, maybe two weeks from order to delivery.

All this talk about PCUs, BFDs and so on makes me "itchy" again, especially the BFD which would certainly help with one particular "boom" I get, even with the plain old TV, never mind my SVS. And at $259, it's not too expensive a tweak. Better yet, even if the sub is upgraded in future, the BFD can still be used, so it's a worthwhile investment.

But first things first, I want a new display... ;D

Wa folks and SVS buddies,

So sad, I am the first to receive the PCU (7:30am 1st stop from Bax Global) and got to rush to work without opening the box.

It is a delight to see all you started enjoying.

Jaggy, we all must thank you for your valuable advice. I am just wondering which SVS are you going to have next .... although I think you deserve a more advance unit than the PCU, I hope you eventually go for the PCU ........ then we have more relevant questions to ask you :).

I heard so much about tactile bass , windows rattling, coffee tables moving, cups moving. Frankly I am hoping for this PCU to shake my balls tonight ...... haha !!

I heard so much about tactile bass , windows rattling, coffee tables moving, cups moving. Frankly I am hoping for this PCU to shake my balls tonight ...... haha !!

trust me, it was defintely worth the wait. regarding the b*lls, depends on how they hang rt? but hold on to them nevertheless. ;D

have fun installing and running in....

I have to admit, I am quite an impatient guy. ;D

After playing with the pcu for a short while, I have to admit that the wow effect is not as much as when I upgraded from my previous REL Strata to pci. When upgraded from REL to pci, the difference was really day and night, but to be fair to the REL, it was more a musical sub rather than a HT sub.

To be fair, there is a wait only because the PCU is a new model, so they're deluged with pre-orders, as well as the recent Christmas/end-of-year rush. When I bought my PCi 1.5 years ago, it was fairly quick, maybe two weeks from order to delivery.

All this talk about PCUs, BFDs and so on makes me "itchy" again, especially the BFD which would certainly help with one particular "boom" I get, even with the plain old TV, never mind my SVS. And at $259, it's not too expensive a tweak. Better yet, even if the sub is upgraded in future, the BFD can still be used, so it's a worthwhile investment.

But first things first, I want a new display... ;D

I informed Erik yesterday that you guys did not get your notification emails, and wow, they do fix problems fast.

I'm not worried about how long the shipping will take...I'm more concerned about when it will ship...Erik only mentioned that it will ship 'sometime' next week...hence, I believe I will have to wait at least 1.5 wks. Oh well..

Mr iuhne,

No, I do not hear any "pop" sound pressing play button on DVD player.

Some observations I have so far after playing with it for 1/2 hour:

(a) I owned both REL and Paradigm, I must say the SVS sounded very different ......... not exactly know how to describe the diffference. Basically I find the SVS very subtle but very effortlessly powerful. The loud "Bang on the chest" feeling from the Paradigm is not there, in exchange the bass from the SVS is very omni-directional, very very flat and cannot be felt directly and yet you can be felt being surrounded (can you call this the tactile feel ?). At worst, it can be a case of "love it or hate it". For me, I am slowly starting to accustom to it and appreciating the high "internal energy" feeling within the movie.

(b) Tried out the "Auto" power-on. Played some music at low volume .... it doesn't "wake up", it has to be approaching medium volume before the LED next to the "Gain knob" turned from "Red" to "Green".

I hope to share some more observations tomorrow.

Listen to your sounds more...... you will get accustomed to the low distortion bass as time goes by.....

you new SVSs have got alot of headroom, so much headroom that your bass you are now hearing is distortion free bass. To many first-timers, they may feel not used to this bass. Fact is 99% of us are not used to hearing distortion free bass. Its a different kinda sound altogether and many may not like it initially. For many of us, the bass we are used too are generally distorted bass coming from our speakers and subs. (Yes, there are subs that generate distorted bass and newbies tend to like such bass..........bose bass is a good example)

Over time, we tend to be attracted to such bass because its just simply undistorted. Switch us back to normal distortion-laden subs and a strange craving for blood begins.

About the auto-on,..... generally, such circuits have varying sensitivity to the input signal. To prevent this problem, turn your sub's gain lower, while set your amp's LFE out higher; whilst keeping correct calibration levels.

All this talk abt them ultras is really making me hope mine comes in real soon...I'm already quite sure I'm gonna paint the grills ferrari yellow... ;D

Jag, so for better sensitivity, amp lfe level has to be higher, sub gain lower? Hmm...that explains why my sub goes to 'sleep' when listening at 'ambient' levels or night mode at lower voluumes. I currently have the amp set at 0 or -2db for lfe level...think I'll try a higher value, with lower sub gain.

Just acquired an analog radio shack unit (not cheap though) to play with the sub. All speakers set at 80dB. Sub output set at 2-3 dB higher.

Played LOTR1...scene: bridge of Khazad-dum. SPL meter read at a clean 110dB!!! No distortion watsoever. :D

I'm now worried abt my neighbour upstairs...hope it won't disturb them. ;D

...I'm now worried abt my neighbour upstairs...hope it won't disturb them. ;D

May I ask; why upstairs & not downstairs? I thot bass is hitting on the floor, then it should be downstairs neighbour feeling the rattling on their ceiling...