SVS PC-Ultra available for order

What about connectivity? How does it connect up? I think I read up somewhere that it doesn't use rca, so what kind of cables go where?

*update* I found a good bfd for subwoofer link:

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

So it connects up like this: Receiver subout --> bfd --> sub using rca-to-headphone/xlr cable from subout to bfd, then use a xlr/headphone plug-to-rca cable leading to subwoofer?

I hope the above not too confusing! So if I already have an rca-to-rca sub cable, how should I proceed?

Thanks for the input!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too started off with the snapbug webby. Its a good step-by-step guide to wards better bass quality.

The cables you need are 2 "RCA to 1/4" plug" cables. Don't bother with XLR if you're not sure how to tell the shopkeeper how to wire it.

Other than the cables, you must have a SPL meter and must know how to generate test-tone on your pc. If you don't know, just IM me and I'll send you a test-tone disc to get you started on measuring your room.

Its really a simple process by nature but its always helpful to ask someone else who has done it before.

Don't underestimate the power of EQs. 8) 8)

A growing number of high-end companies are already using EQs to correct poor room acoustics.

We have Lexicon with MC-12 with ARC (automatic room correction on their processors. Sunfire also has a sub with auto-eq feature. Velodynes DD-1812 already boast auto-EQ.

Even Yamaha (YPAO), Pioneer(MCACC) and Denon(???) also have EQs on their AVRs.

The BFD helps very much is is the superior solution to include EQ for bass. It is the most flexible EQ tool that any of the EQ facility included in any of the above mentioned brands. Bass traps can only do so much and EQs come in where bass traps cannot control room modes.

It seems all one needs is money in the neverending quest to the perfect home theatre system...here's hoping some of us get lucky in the hong pao toto draw.. ;D

If I were to get the bfd, I hope to find quality rca-to-1/4 plug adaptors so that there is no need to sacrifice my current rca sub cable...I wonder if there is such an adaptor? Might have to scope out SLS/SLT to see if such an adaptor exists.

heeheehee...Jag...ABT's BFD is with me now. ;D

Can send me the test tone disc? If I still cannot do it then I'll invite u for assistance. ;)

TIA.

I too started off with the snapbug webby. Its a good step-by-step guide to wards better bass quality.

The cables you need are 2 "RCA to 1/4" plug" cables. Don't bother with XLR if you're not sure how to tell the shopkeeper how to wire it.

Other than the cables, you must have a SPL meter and must know how to generate test-tone on your pc. If you don't know, just IM me and I'll send you a test-tone disc to get you started on measuring your room.

Its really a simple process by nature but its always helpful to ask someone else who has done it before.

Congrats on your new purchase. You'll realise how useful the BFD is once you've started measureing your room. Follow the snapbug webby on how to measure your room.

The BFD is like a computer controlling a jet fighter. Key in the wrong parameters and your jet will crash and burn. (Or bottom out or sound lousy). Key in the right stuff and your sub will sing like a million dollars. The BFD is meant to remove negative effects of the room. Use this to your advantage to cancel out boominess.

Read the snapbug guide to help you get started. There are many threads in HTF and AVS, but you can always ask me if you have any questions.

My plan upon receiving the new Ulta is to setup bypassing the single band PEQ onboard. Wonder is there such a switch or button for this purpose ?

I also wonder any way to "roughly" set the PEQ without using a SPL metre ? If hearing is the answer then is it going to be damn confusing ...... got so many things to take care of ........ gain, phase angle, PEQ, port stopper.

Not many things to take care off lah........

There is NO WAY to set the PEQ roughly without using an SPL meter. Its highly inaccurate to set the PEQ just by hearing as your ears cannot determine the right settings (width, freq and gain) for the PEQ. Even my ears are not precise enough for setting PEQ by ear alone.

What I do is that I rely on instruments to plot the room response. I then interprete the results and translate those readings onto the PEQ.

Another alternative to the BFD is to use a DEQ2496. It has a built-in signal analyser and fully automatic EQ. Price: $600+.

Got the test tones from the snapbug website. However, the excel spreadsheet provided is based on "corrected RS SPL value". Wonder whether will that be any difference from the SPL values measured from my industrial SPL meter.

Guess it will be better to wait till the digital SPL meter under the MO from u is ready for collection, then I can do a comparison and then start measuring my room. :)

Congrats on your new purchase. You'll realise how useful the BFD is once you've started measureing your room. Follow the snapbug webby on how to measure your room.

The BFD is like a computer controlling a jet fighter. Key in the wrong parameters and your jet will crash and burn. (Or bottom out or sound lousy). Key in the right stuff and your sub will sing like a million dollars. The BFD is meant to remove negative effects of the room. Use this to your advantage to cancel out boominess.

Read the snapbug guide to help you get started. There are many threads in HTF and AVS, but you can always ask me if you have any questions.

No, the correction values are only applicable to RS old analog and present digital meters from Radshack. They are not applicable to other brands nor make of sPL meter, due to design and circuitry difference between industrial and Radshack meters.

Now you know why the Radshack meter is more of a commodity and precious to the HT user. Industrial type will not have such comprehensive data and correction values as this cheap Radioshack meter.

Well there still is a learning curve, and the auto-EQ on the 2496 must be specified not to alter the original slope of the cross over; other the auto-EQ will do false EQing and detract all the benefits of auto-EQ begin with.

Erik did tell me the first batch will be shipped 5 to 8 days after the 31st Jan. Yours will probably be the first batch if you ordered early. I'm just hoping to get it by end of Feb.

Life still goes on for me with my dvds, since my current sub is not exactly a pushover...I just decided to get the svs to take advantage of the pre-order offer.

Hey guys,

Just read from another forum on the delay in shipping out the PCUs:

"We ran into a last minute bit of machining for a tool we use (in order to install the PC-Ultra amp, which is a new platform for us) and this slowed us down a few days. All compontents are being assembled as we speak however and I expect the first "Ultras" to go out the door very shortly. We probably won't clear out all pre-orders by the end of next week but we'll make a good run at them.

To say that this sub has been a runaway best seller for us would be an understatement. Once a few of you fire them up we expect more of the same, so if you have your sights set on one there Signore Devil Hound (I spent 4 years at Caserna Ederle in Vicenza, I got the lingo down ;^) you'd best get in line soon.

As Paul C. here has long noted, the Ultra sound is difficult to pin down, it's certainly hard to quantify. If a PC-Plus slams you in the chest, the PC-Ultra reaches out and pushes right through your body (damn just had a flash back of Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom.... well... NOT like that).

Some folks have taken (out of ignorance or reverence, not sure) to calling the cylinder subwoofer "uncolored" but only SVS has managed to perfect a cylinder subwoofer with what's arguably the world's best 12" woofer for home use, and what's arguably the best amp in this price class too. That we throw in "little" niceities like a grill, and make it all very stable in a downfiring configuration with designer grade fabric and very high end construction (remember that thing has 1.5" thick Baltic Birch endcaps to contain the insense presssure the Ultra woofer puts out) is just icing on the cake I suppose.

I think we are all aware of subwoofers costing upwards of 4 times as much that can't hold a candle to the PC-Ultra in any category.

Anyone waiting for them has good reason to be anxious, we'll do our best to make sure we get them to you ASAP.

Ron "

To tie thru this difficult period for me, I just watched those drama dvds without any bassy sound effects. At least can clear those dramas (esp epic ones) before the arrival of svs. ;D

You guys kinda reminds me of myself when I was in your shoes.

I was without a sub for 2 months and that was pretty difficult to me. But trust me, the moment the bax global people knock on your door and you see the box for the first time, you know your wait has been well worth it.

Tear open the box, hook it up and play SW2/FOTR and you know for the second time your investment wait has been well worth it.

The weight of the fella will initially dissappoint you (I mean the sub is relatively light for its size), but when your sofa starts vibrating and your ear drums starts pressuring to the sub 20hz in SW2 landing scene, you'll wonder how did you ever live for so long with other lesser subs.

SVS pre-orders has regular hick-ups. I remember the PB2+ had similar hick-ups. But like those guys in US who now have a PB2+ in their homes, they all feel the wait was well worth it.

Patence Harmonix, your efforts will be well rewarded. :)

let's all be thankful if we even get it within Feb. In the meantime, like what muscular27 has said, watch drama dvds or the like that do not have much bass effects. I have the whole of the month to finish my oz season 2 before season 3 gets here, not to mention sopranos, so a slight wait is no big deal for me.

Jag, how come you ended up waiting 2 mths for yours in the past? Backlog?

Yes, backlog and testing.

For us 220V users, SVS takes more time to test the sub fully to make sure its highly reliable. Coz any failures after it leaves their factory and the SVS bears the costs of replacment parts and shipping.

To ship a 15kg driver or amplifier across the world via courier is not cheap, and the user is not always technically inclined to change parts on his own. So SVS takes extra pains to make sure the SVS will not fail when it leaves their factory.

Esp if you've bought extras, eg bettercables, it may take more days of delay for the bettercable to reach SVS from bettercable shop.