SVS PC-Ultra available for order

Grill rattlings used to be a problem for me. I just re-adjusted the grill and the problem ceased.

All SVS PC+ and PC-U grills are removeable. Its just that virgin grills are a bit "tighter". Otherwise how to "insert" the foam plugs into those "holes"............. ;D ;D

Remove the grill and you won't have such problems anymore. Grill rattling is not the worst noise...... bottomed-out driver and port noise are worst subwoofer noises, IMO.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a flat head screw-driver. GENTLY, pry open the edge of the grill (where the metal of the grill meets the fabric of the cylinder).

Pry open the grill on all sides evenly. The grill may be slightly dented because of this, but it won't pose any problem at all.

Once the virgin cap is off, poking around the sub will come second nature. ;)

Thank you Jag. I will try adjusting the grill when I get home tonight. I think at the worse case, I will just permanently remove the grill.

dude, not good idea to have it off for good. you really don't want things to drop in (from adults or kids) :o

Thanks. I will bear that in mind.

I will do some experimentation tonight. Hopefully, could resolve the problem.

Grateful to see so many people helping me out. Hope that my luck will change for the better soon. ;D

I have removed the grill. The rattling doesn't come from the grill. It came from the grasp of air running out from the 3 ports. Is this normal?

Harmonix & Muscular - Can I make a trip to your house to listen to your sub this week?

Thanks.

Hello guys! ;D ;D ;D

See smiling faces? Heh...

Sorry for the late update.

Iuhne: port noises indicate that you might be running it too hot at too high volumes (I assume your room quite big?) If you watch it at very high volumes, you might want to calibrate either flat for bass, or just 2-3db hot.

Harmonix, for tv watching, the sub only comes on when volume is upped a little. As for dvdp, I think no problem. If you want your sub to respond at lower levels, set your receiver sub output higher, and lower your sub's gain, then check with SPL meter to set back at your previous sub level, with the exception of the new adjusted sub and amp levels.

My sub came around 5.30pm today. I just finished calibrating, peq'ed and test demo some material. As I usually run my receiver at -10 to -14 under my VE reference level, I have set the sub to 8db hot (VE setting at 72-73db is flat for the sub), 1 port plugged, ss filter to 16hz (interestingly enough, there are 4 settings, 12,16,20 and 25hz!). 1400 receiver sub output was -4.5db, with sub gain at 1/2. My room is not too big at around 2000 cu ft.

Interesting thing I found out was that on testing for room resonance, I only got a very minor peak at 20hz and a moderate 6.5db peak at 54-55hz. Other than that, the graph line looks reasonably nice and smooth (Radio Shack corrections inclusive). Easily settled with the single band PEQ. Heng no real need for BFD. Looks like my DIY acoustic boards worked out. :P

Only fked up >:( thing that happened when I was testing: When I searched chapter by chapter during the episode 2 AOTC to the asteroid field part (Jango vs Obi-wan), the frigging 1400 suddenly went haywire...very soft suddenly, and bass plus L/R speakers seemed quiet. The receiver also became non-responsive. Had to shut off by the powered mains and turned on a second later. Tested somemore, but it did not reoccur again. I must stress that it was on 'THX' mode. Vol at -18db. Wonder why kena locked up? >:(

Ok...initial listening impressions. In short, 'clean' and 'visceral'. I popped in AOTC and it gave me nice clean bass feedback on the explosion at the beginning as well as the huge silver plane fly-bys. Digs a little deeper than my def tech 200tl (the svs was set: ss filter at 16hz, 1 port plugged), but noticeably cleaner.

When I popped in Jurassic Park Corrected DTS version and started the movie, all bets were off. On the first drum note, it was clear that every cent on the sub was worth it. Finally, ultra defined bass that digs deep and seems to want to keep going. At Chapter 11, the roars and stomps came to life in a very realistic way, more so than the older sub. Everything seemed more refined and clean bass-wise. Even my other half commented that every bass detail sounded distinct.

Darla scene was next. Sounded as deep as my old sub (take note that this scene is not deep, but loud), but very much cleaner. Exact details could be heard which were previously non-existant..

Truly a remarkable sub. ‘Nuff said.

Ah, I forgot to mention one more thing. My grill was easily removed without the need of a screwdriver. Just a quick nudge, some slight resistance, but then it pops out. However, I noticed a screw missing (from the array of 8 screws going round the top portion around the ports. I have emailed Ron to ask him about this.*update* The screw was deliberately left out so as not to puncture a port. Just verified with Ron of SVS.

Given the time now, I had no choice but to continue further demo testing tomorrow or otherwise. The two LOTRs come to mind... ;D

Finally I can watch my backlog action movies!

Hi H_B,

Nice to see that you finally got your sub. Would it be possible for me to invite you to my house to listen to my sub to see whether is there any problem? I am staying around the east area.

Thanks very much!

Wah...'invite'?? I not lao qiao enough to help people, that's for sure. The person you really need is Jag, our resident bass guru. Check with him and he should be able to properly calibrate your ht system with all his gadgets as he had done for quite a few other guys.

What do you say, Jag? Your expertise needed again!

my room is 5 by 4. If you have properly calibrated (check ss filter and make sure at 20hz, 3 ports open), port noise is unlikely at normal room listening volumes. Even my old sub also could not hear port noise.

I'm sure Jag won't mind helping you out if he has the time, but I think dropping an email to svs might be a good idea at this point, especially since the sub is so new.

Also check to ensure that all screws are tight, and receiver sub output is not too high (closer to zero = possible amp distortion introduced to bass).

Yes, ss filter is at 20 hz & all 3 ports open. I have also sent an email to SVS, waiting for their reply. Will check the screws. Really sian with all these problems. First the thumping sound, then this port noise thing.

Jag - Can I invite you to my house again? Sorry for the trouble.

Just a update, Ron has replied to my email. He asked me to do some check and offered to send me a new port. However, to be fair to them, I would like to identify that the problem is really a bad port first. Really need you guys' help to help me identify the problem before I revert to SVS. :'(

Woah H_B!!! ;D ;D Finally!! You sure did so many things in 1 evening....Good for you!

Iuhne...you are more than welcome to visit me...I had also undergone a bad patch..just finished calibrating my new Denon 2803 to match with my 2nd hand rotel power amp. I bought Marantz 5400 first since it's within my budget and having 5.1 pre-outs..Played for 30 minutes and discovered it's damn hot..hotter than my power amp?! Took it back to KEC today to change..Clarence is gracious enuff to take it back...Me dun really favour yammie and hence go for the denon... :-\ And my bloody fixed screen not here yet. Just IM me la...

I can also go to your place to listen to yours...me not a bass guru though.. ;D

iuhne:

Watched the first 5 mins of Lord of the Ring twice last night at relatively high level.

Didn't detact any rattling sound at all.

Suggest you consult a bass guru.

Meantime I encourage you to lodge a record with Erik/Tom/Ron of SVS. The difference is that, if you wait for too long you be claiming under warranty then you have to bear one way freight. If it's manufacture fault, then you can a replacement at no cost.

If you like to visit my place, you are most welcomed.

Thanks guys for trying to help. I reallly need your help to see whether is there a prob with my sub or whether is it more a calibration issue.

I will try to do some more experimentation tonight and update you guys.

Thanks!

Harmonix - Your son is welcome too.

Muscular - Pls check your sms. Hope that you are free this weekend.