Subscription record clubs

I am thinking about whether to subscribe to an online record club. I kind of like the idea of being introduced to music I may never consider.

does anyone have any thoughts, favourites or suggestions of which ones to take a peek at ?

appreciate the collective thoughts in advance. 

cheers

chris

7 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

I have no idea but this is a great question.  Subscribed.......

My googling has uncovered Waxx Lyrical which is Aussie based and has what seems to be a reasonable subscription plan with no lock in. I will give it a whirl and see how it goes and report back :) 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, frankn said:

Takes me back to the 80s, used to belong to a record of the month club. 

Same here. Back in the UK, Britannia Music Club was the most popular. They used to do some great offers and I was introduced to quite a lot of different music over the years by accepting their monthly recommendations. 

• Like 3

While the OP and others are into this sort of thing to discover new music, I've looked into them and they are often TOO obscure. I mean, I'd at least like to have heard of some of the artists.

Here's some clubs I've considered..

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/pages/join-the-club

This is more appealing to me, because I like their ethos and many of the artists...

https://thirdmanstore.com/products/vault-subscription

One thing that appeals to me about these clubs is the exclusives and cool pressings they offer. 

Plenty more featured here; https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/ten-of-the-best-vinyl-record-subscription-services/

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

While the OP and others are into this sort of thing to discover new music, I've looked into them and they are often TOO obscure. I mean, I'd at least like to have heard of some of the artists.

Here's some clubs I've considered..

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/pages/join-the-club

This is more appealing to me, because I like their ethos and many of the artists...

https://thirdmanstore.com/products/vault-subscription

One thing that appeals to me about these clubs is the exclusives and cool pressings they offer. 

Plenty more featured here; https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/ten-of-the-best-vinyl-record-subscription-services/

Cool stuff. I shall check them out. Cheers 

What's your current experience in shipping from the US?  COVID seems to have made shipping times crazy from the US as compared to my experience from Europe at the moment. Interested to hear your experience. 

I've been a member of Sounds Delicious club for a couple of years now. I really like what they do, getting artists to do entire covers of someone else's album. My favourites are probably Youmi Zouma's version of Oasis' "What's the Story (Morning Glory)", and Benjamin Gibbard (from Death Cab for Cutie/The Postal Service) doing Teenage Fanclub's "Bandwagonesque".

https://www.turntablekitchen.com/sounds-delicious/

image.thumb.jpeg.98e9a3ce6e5fd82a97253d2926219802.jpeg

• Like 1

I subscribe to Vinyl Me Please, I really like it.

Good pressings and has gotten me into stuff I may not have with out it.

I subscribe to Essentials, Classics and Country.

You can swap your monthly record for something else if you don’t want it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd said:

I've been a member of Sounds Delicious club for a couple of years now. I really like what they do, getting artists to do entire covers of someone else's album. My favourites are probably Youmi Zouma's version of Oasis' "What's the Story (Morning Glory)", and Benjamin Gibbard (from Death Cab for Cutie/The Postal Service) doing Teenage Fanclub's "Bandwagonesque".

https://www.turntablekitchen.com/sounds-delicious/

image.thumb.jpeg.98e9a3ce6e5fd82a97253d2926219802.jpeg

That’s an interesting concept. How has the shipping been since COVID?. I have found stuff from the US is taking much longer than say Europe. 

4 minutes ago, W47ty said:

Ooh I like the look of this. Have you subbed?

it appears there are quite a few options out there.  Who knew :) 

Nah I haven’t, but seriously thinking about it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ryehifi said:

Nah I haven’t, but seriously thinking about it!

I’ve gone for it.  :)  

never know unless you try I suppose.  I will report back. 

Ive had Third man records Vault for ages. Its been excellent value as some packages now go for a fair bit of money, but currently id say its not worth it unless you are a big jack white fan. I must have about 12 different versions of ‘dead leaves…’ by now

Some aspects are great like the discounted Tidal subscription. 
Also some different releases like johnny cash, margo price, beefheart have been a good split from jack white stuff. 

You can pick up most of the latest vaults for cost price on ebay these days, just the older ones are expensive.

5 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

Ive had Third man records Vault for ages. Its been excellent value as some packages now go for a fair bit of money, but currently id say its not worth it unless you are a big jack white fan. I must have about 12 different versions of ‘dead leaves…’ by now

Some aspects are great like the discounted Tidal subscription. 
Also some different releases like johnny cash, margo price, beefheart have been a good split from jack white stuff. 

You can pick up most of the latest vaults for cost price on ebay these days, just the older ones are expensive.

Yeah was picking up that Jack White is a firm favourite when I had a look at the site just now. 

I have plumped for an initial two subscriptions: 

https://theretro.co.uk/

https://www.waxxlyrical.com/

I shall see how these go. Happy to report back if anyone is keen on feedback.  

it’s been a bit of an eye opener actually. Although unsurprising, I guess,  it is interesting to see there are quite a few of these services around.  

I have subscribed to VMP (vinyl me please) for the past year or so, and have been surprised by their quick postage from the US, and enjoyed the mix of albums that I have received on the essentials stream. All the albums have been very good, though varied in style. If you want to order anything else from their site, it can usually be shipped for nothing, supposedly along with your order, though in my experience, it is often shipped separately. Works out at about 50 bucks a record, so not cheap, but great presentation and pressings. Most good pressings at JB are getting up there and beyond these days. 

Justin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juzbear said:

I have subscribed to VMP (vinyl me please) for the past year or so, and have been surprised by their quick postage from the US, and enjoyed the mix of albums that I have received on the essentials stream. All the albums have been very good, though varied in style. If you want to order anything else from their site, it can usually be shipped for nothing, supposedly along with your order, though in my experience, it is often shipped separately. Works out at about 50 bucks a record, so not cheap, but great presentation and pressings. Most good pressings at JB are getting up there and beyond these days. 

Justin

Good to know on the shipping side of things. 
I guess around $50 isn’t bad. As you say seems to be the average for a decent album anyway. Only downside is being at the mercy of the US/AUD exchange rate. 
appreciate the info. Cheers 

12 hours ago, W47ty said:

That’s an interesting concept. How has the shipping been since COVID?. I have found stuff from the US is taking much longer than say Europe. 

I can't comment on shipping of these specifically, as I (used to) travel to the US regularly, and took advantage of collecting them from a friend on my visits to save on the postage. (This also means I'm now a couple of records behind on my listening, as they're sitting halfway across the world).

That said, I've had a lot of packages shipped from around the world in the past year, and I find the result to be varied, but mostly acceptable. The worst experience was with a package from Japan that took around three months (and usually JP is the best experience for me). Also had a package take nearly two weeks from Perth to Melbourne a few months ago.

Overall, the US -> Australia paths have been pretty clear and efficient for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mbd said:

I can't comment on shipping of these specifically, as I (used to) travel to the US regularly, and took advantage of collecting them from a friend on my visits to save on the postage. (This also means I'm now a couple of records behind on my listening, as they're sitting halfway across the world).

That said, I've had a lot of packages shipped from around the world in the past year, and I find the result to be varied, but mostly acceptable. The worst experience was with a package from Japan that took around three months (and usually JP is the best experience for me). Also had a package take nearly two weeks from Perth to Melbourne a few months ago.

Overall, the US -> Australia paths have been pretty clear and efficient for me.

Good to know. Cheers. 
yeah, sometimes postage within Australia is the biggest challenge

Quick update:

I joined www.waxxlyrical.com Sunday evening. Had a really nice email exchange with Ben (who I believe is the owner).  Today I received my first album- Blue Weekend by Wolf Alice. Now I know nothing about them so I am excited to give it a whirl.

the album arrived well packaged as you would expect with a couple of info cards and QR code’s to scan for interviews and articles. There was a nice touch of a hand written welcome note.  It’s the little things 

anyway. 10 out of 10 so far for Ben and Anita at WaxxLyrical. 

cheers

chris 

11745FFE-DD2E-4EF2-B3CD-2C6E9C32DAC7.jpeg

• Like 3

On 06/06/2021 at 8:13 AM, frankn said:

Takes me back to the 80s, used to belong to a record of the month club. 

Same here, I used to belong to CBS record club in late 70s and clearly still remember going to their office to collect records behind Australian Museum in Sydney. 

• Like 1

I just checked out waxxlyrical and don't get why anyone would subscribe? It just looks like normal records to me, or are they special pressings? Like all record clubs, I wouldn't join because I'm not interested in 90% or more of the artists they're selling. I haven't found one yet that has a lot of stuff I'd want.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 10:14 AM, Esoterica said:

I just checked out waxxlyrical and don't get why anyone would subscribe? It just looks like normal records to me, or are they special pressings? Like all record clubs, I wouldn't join because I'm not interested in 90% or more of the artists they're selling. I haven't found one yet that has a lot of stuff I'd want.

And that's fair enough. I joined because I was keen for someone else to choose some music I wouldn't ordinarily think of or choose. Touch of mystery and surprise if you will. 

Horses for courses and all that. 

As long as you enjoy what you do, have at it  😀

Edited by W47ty
Typo
  • Like 1