yamaha rx-v1 possible purchase.

Depends on the $$$ but they are two different beasts, the Yammy is an AV reciever, the older models can do good 2ch but id be looking for a 2ch integrated which IMO would be a better investment and more likely be an upgrade over your existing integrated.

Why are you looking to replace the Onkyo?

• Like 1

Given the reviews of this unit and the build quality for the price being asked it seems awfully hard to resist.

If I could find a decent integrated for $500 to $600 I would probably go that way.

Trouble is everything I look at that appears decent is out of my price range or I don't know the product.

Depends on how many watts you need (spkrs?) $600 would almost get you a refurb'd Yamaha CA-800. Sansui AU-505/555A and Luxman SQ-505X all sound good, again comes back to spkrs. I wouldn't dismiss the RX-V1 however you can do better. The RX-V1 would be a pig to work on, lots of boards/functions not needed for 2 channel.

13 minutes ago, jtfoto said:

Given the reviews of this unit and the build quality for the price being asked it seems awfully hard to resist.

If I could find a decent integrated for $500 to $600 I would probably go that way.

Trouble is everything I look at that appears decent is out of my price range or I don't know the product.

What speakers do you have, this may help understand how much grunt you need. Marantz 6005 amps come up around your budget and they are decent but it’s a stab in the dark until you let us know your speakers 

Currently running re-furbished JBL TL8 3 way. They are pretty efficient at 91 so I do not need a lot of power for my room size.

Guess I will keep looking.

Maybe something will turn up here.

Thanks guys.

Maybe demo the RX-V1, if you like it then $5-600 is not a lot to pay, these were huge money (3k?) new.  Problem with buying vintage is that it needs a restore. Buying new at that price point gets you ok-fi only, some will disgree and point me to the SNA recommended amp buying thread. Bargains do pop up from time to time.