Denon AVR 2106 blown up in 30sec

So, doing a demo had A and B front channels/towers on played a 30sec youtube video to showcase my setup running at +15Db for about 10 seconds and went into protect mode. Turns out I had fried a few minor components and two of the major ones. Would that be because I had both front channels on at the same time at 90% volume ? Surly not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...And no I won’t be turning it up that loud again. Lol

On 09/11/2020 at 2:08 AM, TommyGunn said:

So, doing a demo had A and B front channels/towers on played a 30sec youtube video to showcase my setup running at +15Db for about 10 seconds and went into protect mode. Turns out I had fried a few minor components and two of the major ones. Would that be because I had both front channels on at the same time at 90% volume ? Surly not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...And no I won’t be turning it up that loud again. Lol

Which speakers are were you running at the same time?

You'll note the writing on the rear panel of the amp regarding minimum speaker impedances, and that you effectively shouldn't be running your A+B speakers at the same time unless they are each 12 ohms impedance or higher. 

Unfortunately, if you haven't heeded this advice, and have also run the amp at very high output levels whilst running inappropriate/non-recommended loads, I'm not surprised that the "magic smoke" escaped ;) 

On 09/11/2020 at 1:38 AM, TommyGunn said:

Would that be because I had both front channels on at the same time at 90% volume ? Surly not

Sorry, you almost had me there.

For a moment I thought you were serious and not joking..

OR are you really serious? ?

Say it ain't so.

• Haha 1

Than you for you advice. 
I am serious, silly if you ask my wife.

The other channel had a pair of Jay carJV80 kit set speakers...

Specs JV80 Jaycar kit

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2003/October/The+JV80+Loudspeaker+System 

Power: 100watts
Type: 2way base reflex + 2 ports
Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency range:30Hz-20kHz
Crossover:3.5kHz Linkwitz-Riley
Sensitivity: 91db/1W at 1 metre (on tweeter axis)
Protection: PTC polyswitch thermister

Kind of new to this stuff and, I guess you could call it a journey. To learning about the right setup and what not to do. Lol

This gear is all second hand and not really worth a whole lot. 

I have learned a lot in the last few weeks. Cheers guys. Rock on ? 

11 hours ago, TommyGunn said:

Forgot to mention that channel A was running a pair of Dali concept 6’s and channel B had the jaycar JV80’s. Both have an impedance of 8 ohms. 

That's the root of the problem right there.

As noted on the rear panel of the amp , if you run A and B speakers together, they must have a nominal impedance of 12 ohms or higher. The A and B outputs are wired in parallel, so this presents a 6 ohm nominal load on the amp (which happens to be the minimum impedance for speakers when you run A or B independently).

If you run two pairs of 8 ohm nominal speakers on A and B at the same time, this is a nominal 4 ohm load (noting that speaker impedances are not fixed and actually vary, so the actual load could be noticeably lower). Your amp isn't rated for this. It might be OK at a low volume levels, but certainly not at full-tilt... even for a short period of time.

denon-avr-2106-swidnica-sprzedam-515490600.jpg.eec61339496310b4cbc614c00b8bc475.jpg

• Like 3