Help, Samsung think optical output cables connect direct to analogue speakers

Hoping the brain trust can help. I have a Samsung Smart Tv only 4 months old. I’m trying to connect my 2 channel H-Fi for audio using the optical out (via a DAC). It’s working great on digital TV but when I switch to a streaming app I get terrible noise that almost blows my speakers. The digital output is set to PMC and the TV updates are up to date. 

Im at a loss as to why the signal is changing so much from the same source. I need help with ideas to fix it. I tried calling Samsung and the help tech told me it’s because you must connect the optical input cable  direct to your analogue speakers without any components in between. He was deadly serious! 

Any ideas?... 

Edited by Rocking Rezbag

So I’ve just spent 3 hours with Netflix, apple and prime tech support. Seems they all default to 5:1 audio now. The defaults can’t be changed back to 2 channel. So the optical out on my Samsung TV is essentially useless. 

Edited by Rocking Rezbag

1 hour ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

So I’ve just spent 3 hours with Netflix, apple and prime tech support. Seems they all default to 5:1 audio now. The defaults can’t be changed back to 2 channel. So the optical out on my Samsung TV is essentially useless. 

I just had a look on ours and surprised to see that in the sound settings there isn't an option to limit the pcm to stereo only like my old Panasonic. 

I had been planning on using optical in the same way as you since the Samsung does not recognise the ARC on my Oppo as the Panasonic did. Haven't progressed as down an amp at the moment. 

What model TV do you have? There is a guy at Samsung I can call. 

Seems odd to have the PCM setting in the samsung audio settings but allow apps to override that? definitely a bug in my opinion.

There's no worse sound than having dolby shoved into your PCM DAC!

Might have to look at using an external player like an Nvidia Shield that would allow you do force PCM stereo downmixing to the TV via HDMI and thus only PCM will come out of the Optical port.

Edited by GaryT
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DrSK said:

I just had a look on ours and surprised to see that in the sound settings there isn't an option to limit the pcm to stereo only like my old Panasonic. 

I had been planning on using optical in the same way as you since the Samsung does not recognise the ARC on my Oppo as the Panasonic did. Haven't progressed as down an amp at the moment. 

What model TV do you have? There is a guy at Samsung I can call. 

Mines a Q65T 4K  I think - let me know what you find out, I’ve always loved Samsung TVs but if I can’t use 2 channel audio I’m gonna have no choice but to change. My speakers are worth a lot more than my TV! 

9 hours ago, GaryT said:

Seems odd to have the PCM setting in the samsung audio settings but allow apps to override that? definitely a bug in my opinion.

There's no worse sound than having dolby shoved into your PCM DAC!

Might have to look at using an external player like an Nvidia Shield that would allow you do force PCM stereo downmixing to the TV via HDMI and thus only PCM will come out of the Optical port.

Thanks Gary - I agree it’s a bad bug that that don’t seem to be interested in fixing. I have no idea what you said but I saw in a forum someone else used one of these and got results So I’m definitely going to research that. Thank you 

1 hour ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

Mines a Q65T 4K  I think - let me know what you find out, I’ve always loved Samsung TVs but if I can’t use 2 channel audio I’m gonna have no choice but to change. My speakers are worth a lot more than my TV! 

Thanks mate, I'll call Monday. He's well above their help desk. If there is anyone with a solution it's him. Or anyone with sway for a software update, it's him. 

On 10/09/2020 at 5:19 PM, sakabatou said:

Have you checked the audio output format for the streaming app? need to turn off multichannel, Dolby etc

Yes - and that can be done but it has to be completed every time, every movie, every episode, you can’t set it as default. This is why I contacted all the streaming companies too. When the trailers come on it reverts back to 5:1 and there’s no controlling that, I don’t really wish to hurt my ears and blow my speakers everytime a trailer comes on. I don’t want to have to log out and redo setting between each episode in a binge either. So annoying. 
I need to do some research around use of the HDMI arc instead of the optical out, if that’s the same I’m getting a new tv. (Another brand).

Edited by Rocking Rezbag

one wierd thing I've read is people plugging in their gear, setting the sound to PCM and getting dolby out, but then unplugging the optical and plugging it back in and got PCM.

not sure if the TV detects an optical connection and acts on it weirdly, but some people are describing that.

ALso, the PCM setting may very well be per input and per app.. so try setting it with every different app open and seeing if it behaves differently.

Other than that, i'm out of ideas other than completely external streaming hardware.

Edited by GaryT
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GaryT said:

one wierd thing I've read is people plugging in their gear, setting the sound to PCM and getting dolby out, but then unplugging the optical and plugging it back in and got PCM.

not sure if the TV detects an optical connection and acts on it weirdly, but some people are describing that.

ALso, the PCM setting may very well be per input and per app.. so try setting it with every different app open and seeing if it behaves differently.

Other than that, i'm out of ideas other than completely external streaming hardware.

Thanks Gary - kinda defeats the purpose of buying a smart tv if you use a streaming device though. 
I’m gonna try the unplugging replugging and see how that goes. Thank you. 

On 11/09/2020 at 6:07 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

Sorry, not called yet. Been chasing down a mobile number as no one is at their desk post Covid. 

On 15/09/2020 at 8:11 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

Seriously, thank you. I’m happy to wait 

Got a number but I'm away until Monday. Will call when I'm in front of my own TV. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2020 at 12:40 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

Thanks ?
enjoy your weekend

Spoke to them today. They immediately understood the issue. 

I have emailed through details so they have documented customer issues they can take to next step. I will follow up with a call next week. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, DrSK said:

Spoke to them today. They immediately understood the issue. 

I have emailed through details so they have documented customer issues they can take to next step. I will follow up with a call next week. 

Sorry just saw this work has been flat out. That’s fantastic o really appreciate u looking into this for me 

11 hours ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

Sorry just saw this work has been flat out. That’s fantastic o really appreciate u looking into this for me 

All good. It is currently with HQ in S. Korea. 

On 24/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

Omg - so amazing!! 

Hopefully. I can't guarantee a result. Just got it escalated to the right people and it will depend if it is a priority. 

• 6 months later...
Guest DrSK

Hey, don't know if I can take any credit as I didn't hear back via my channels. 

But our 2021 Frame seems to only output 2.0 on PCM Optical. A current Google check has Samsung now saying PCM output is stereo only.  Maybe check your latest firmware and see if you are the same now too? 

Just had Netflix on its default multichannel and had great 2.0 quality connected via optical to my Klein III DAC. 

What happens when Samsung assumes everyone will want true discrete multichannel sound rather than downmixed 2ch pcm . Good reason and incentive not to settle for a cheapo soundbar if you have a decent system ; movies are much more immersive with multichannel :)

Remind me never to buy a samsung if it cant send 5.1 lossy from its apps over spdif optical anymore -  ARC is too flakey to trust and E-ARC is coming ..  All sounds like a firmware fix as theres no switchable downmix circuit on the optical out for apps ..  Good thing its been restored for those with dacs etc though 😅