My Build..What do you think..

On 26/08/2020 at 7:57 AM, msnpassion said:

Very flat response across the frequency, did you test the freq beyond 20,000hz

BTW, very impressive build

How did you come up with the cross over design?

Did you pick up on the amount of curves vs the drivers...  Its good for a laugh, because I didn't, and I built em...

Edited by Guest

Anyway, I built them with one hand. Yes its true, and probably why they took so long...?.. I hope Ive been an inspiration to others, and have enjoyed sharing this build...

20200413_120853.jpg

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, hiya said:

Excellent forum and your speakers are awesome. In light of the last post i think you should have named them Stumpmaster instead of Thumpmaster ?

Maybe yes, I had a hand in it..?

3 hours ago, SirDystic said:

Anyway, I built them with one hand. Yes its true, and probably why they took so long...?.. I hope Ive been an inspiration to others, and have enjoyed sharing this build...

Outstanding build in so many ways...  you and your speakers are a true inspiration indeed.  I will never forget reading this thread and seeing those beauties.

Thank you for sharing with us.

All the best...  hope to hear them thumping from West Wyalong NSW.

Regards.

Ant.

6 hours ago, DanFi said:

So did you design everything yourself? Cabinet and crossover? Or did you use a design?

A refinement on a much earlier DIY,  further influenced by Wilson Audio, ...I just loved the shape of them, so I built a set similar but smaller...Crossovers are mine, I believe Wilson's is a four way anyhow, these are a sort of five way, or more a 2 + 3 way, since the crossover is split in half driven by two Amps.. Technically I don't know what you call it. but it works...?

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, spamnoj said:

amazing work, I wouldn't have been able to build to this standard even with 3 hands!

you can tell guests that a lot of blood sweat and tears went into these speakers.

Lets not forget the colorful language, ?

5 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Amazing build.

What are the drivers?

Nothing flash, Jaycar sell them, I think from memory about $400 for all of the drivers, excluding the sub..Also available is a 10" and a 4", but I couldn't get them to work as well together on paper. Also the proportions are aesthetically pleasing , to me anyway...

Edit, I should be noted that if you use these drivers, the 12" and I think the 10" are designed to be back mounted, So to match the smaller drivers, the gasket has to be removed and a false front bezel made and glued in..the 8" and down are all surface mounts,  or flush mounts as I did...I used the 12" the 8" the 6.5" the 5" and 1" dome. so only the 12" needed this mod, a bit of a PITA, but turned out OK...? .. You use what you can get hey....?

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Outstanding build in so many ways...  you and your speakers are a true inspiration indeed.  I will never forget reading this thread and seeing those beauties.

Thank you for sharing with us.

All the best...  hope to hear them thumping from West Wyalong NSW.

Regards.

Ant.

Thankyou Ant...

On 25/08/2020 at 2:13 PM, :) Go Away (: said:

Very nice build! You must be a single or have a wife with lot of patience, mine goes on rampage even if a single new interconnect cable shows up at the door, so forget about any builds.

By the way, the Thumpmaster reminds me of Thumper from Dune (book) and can only imagine this would really thump the floor hard.

Is that a subwoofer on right side? You really need to start the build thread.

The pool table in the dining room is another hint. Beautiful work.

1 hour ago, djmt said:

The pool table in the dining room is another hint. Beautiful work.

Thankyou appreciated.., But no its not the dining room, moving the pool table into the dining room for a better listening seat in the media room would be pushing the envelope... ?. Just a bit...

54 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Whoa

Yeah, You did ask.. LOL...sadly this was lost in a fire.. Its as far as I got with it. But I have permission to do it again, so I just might. This was to be a pattern for an outdoor ferro cement speaker modeled on  The Iconic Nautilus..

Edit,

But I do have to finish the Thumps first, If you look at the top cabs and the wings, all of the front edges will be have a radius, the intercabinet hardware has to be made and fitted, then a final finish prep and paint, so there is a bit to do yet before my next adventure into DIY.

Edited by Guest

Well i forgot about the grilles , I have to make those as well as the inter-cabinet spikes, where the felt pads are currently... but  I'm going to depart from the norm with the design, do something completely different, Ill try and explain, without drawing pictures, which I am inherently crap at...So to best explain, here is a side profile of the upper drivers... Front profile is earlier in the thread..I'm sort of hoping to get a bit of feedback as to how you might like the concept.. A lot of effort goes into acoustically hiding the cabinet from the drivers normally,  so I believe grilles and the associated frames are counterproductive.. I'm too lazy to take them off all the time so I came up with an idea....  ???

20200829_110108.jpg

Edited by Guest

On 28/08/2020 at 5:19 PM, SirDystic said:

Nothing flash, Jaycar sell them, I think from memory about $400 for all of the drivers, excluding the sub..Also available is a 10" and a 4", but I couldn't get them to work as well together on paper. Also the proportions are aesthetically pleasing , to me anyway...

Congratulations on this labour of love. Look forward to seeing how you resolve the mechanical coupling/decoupling and adjustability of each individual enclosure. Wilson have some good tips there of course but likely expensive in terms of engineering solutions.  I am not sure if there are other drivers 'on the shelf' out there that could fit 1:1 in your exisiting cut outs for the Jaycar drivers – or if you even would consider upgrading them – but given the extraordinary effort you have made in designing and constructing these speakers, it would seem a shame not to optimise their performance one day with even better drivers – just a thought...

Edited by Aperalim
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Congratulations on this labour of love. Look forward to seeing how you resolve the mechanical coupling/decoupling and adjustability of each individual enclosure. Wilson have some good tips there of course but likely expensive in terms of engineering solutions.  I am not sure if there are other drivers 'on the shelf' out there that could fit 1:1 in your exisiting cut outs for the Jaycar drivers – or if you even would consider upgrading them – but given the extraordinary effort you have made in designing and constructing these speakers, it would seem a shame not to optimise their performance one day with even better drivers – just a thought...

Yes, I hear what your saying. Swapping out the drivers would not be too difficult, and I have considered it. I may do it..  Thankyou for your comments and thoughts...