Any Ubuntu users able to help with remote access issues?

Guest rmpfyf

If you're trying to connect this way, remove all encryption and untick the security options. It's likely you're not configured for as much.

Show us what the options tab holds, otherwise try x.x.x.x:5900 in the ip address space (where 'x.x.x.x' is your server's IP address) to force the correct server port.

Guest rmpfyf
29 minutes ago, SETfan said:

Couldn't start Xtightvnc; trying default font path.
Please set correct fontPath in the vncserver script.
Couldn't start Xtightvnc process.

That's new. Make sure your config files contain no spelling errors. 

Otherwise, do you get a list of files when you type 'ls /usr/share/fonts/X11/' ? If you get a list, then it's a likely configuration error, otherwise you need to install the fonts. If you already have a desktop it'd be unlikely they're not there IMHO.

Guest rmpfyf

Checked that port 5900 is open on both machines?

(At this point I'd tunnel through w/SSH).

Also try 5800, 5901, etc.

Edited by rmpfyf

Guest rmpfyf

That's just your active connections, if it's working it'll show up there. And your test tool suggests that your firewall is being a firewall and shutting down things not needed, though I'm not sure if that's WAN or local.

At any rate and as mentioned, I'd look up any number of guides online at this point pursuant to setting up a VNC server on your version of Ubuntu with a windows client. Find one that involves SSH (most do). SSH gives you both security and sets up a 'tunnel', e.g. everything is contained within. It'll help weed out external factors. 

Once ssh'd you'll be running either through the firewall or binding server ports to your client machine (you might need firewall config in the latter case), but either way you're connecting to the VNC server locally - an easier proposition. Some examples are:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-18-04

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-18-04/#set-up-ssh-tunneling-on-windows

https://support.pawsey.org.au/documentation/display/US/Use+graphical+(GUI)+Programs+with+VNC+over+SSH

Lots of reading but a good implementation gets around many of the potential problems you're experiencing. 

I'd offer that if in your VNC server setup you were asked to put in a user/pass, then add that to your client configuration (enable SSO).

OK, thanks for that. Head is spinning a bit after all of this so might take a break and start reading up again when feeling up for the challenge!

Appreciate your (and everyone else's) patience and help with this, I would have given up ages ago without it but feel I am slowly creeping closer to getting it working...fingers crossed! :lol:

25 minutes ago, SETfan said:

OK, thanks for that. Head is spinning a bit after all of this so might take a break and start reading up again when feeling up for the challenge!

Have you yet tried the step by step solution I posted a link to for you??  Running vnc to allow screen-scraping access to the current desktop, display :0 is by far the simplest way to go.  

1 hour ago, SETfan said:

Here are the General and Options s\creens, still timing out with these:

Probably because it;s port 5901 not 5900.  Even after you get a connection, you then have to sort out the launching of a usable display manager etc  desktop in the new display :1 that vnc creates, and people have struggled with this.  Again try the screen scraper way.

9 hours ago, aussievintage said:

One issue is that tightvnc uses a different port.  Also, it creates a new virtual desktop.  If you want to see the existing linux desktop follow these instructions at the below link.  Remove the old vnc server install first, including the contents of the ~/.vnc directory.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-start-a-vnc-server-for-the-actual-display-scraping-with-tigervnc/

OK will give that a go - can you tell me how to remove the old vnc server install please? ie. Is there a command to type in, and where/how to do this please?

Thought I would see what the sound quality was like playing the NUC into my Hailide Bridge SPDIF converter through my dac and audio system...its not bad, but not great. Volume is quite low, and I read that you can increase by using Alsamixer.

But when I go to Alsamixer, I cant get the volume to increase by pressing the UP arrows on keyboard? Do I just put the cursor inside the 00 box for SPDIF shown below? Or am I missing something simple here (probably!!)???

AlsaMixer v1.1.3 ──────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA Intel PCH                                  F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Intel PantherPoint HDMI                        F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                         Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                              │
│                                                                              │
│                                ┌──┐     ┌──┐                                 │
│                                │OO│     │OO│                                 │
│                                └──┘     └──┘                                 │
│                             < S/PDIF >S/PDIF 1                               │
│                                                                             

PS: Any suggestions/advice on any settings changes to improve sound quality output from the NUC gratefully appreciated also...and how to actually make them too! Just want to make sure I am actually getting the best possible sound quality output into my SPDIF/Dac as it doesnt really sound like it!

Guest rmpfyf

Can o' worms questions here

Removing whatever vnc server you have is sudo apt-get remove tightvncserver if you installed it using apt. Then follow what @aussievintage linked for you. 

As for sound quality there's plenty here on why you'd not use a NUC, and if you were optimising the OS for quality you'd probably run it headless and without VNC. Why do you need VNC? There are some decent audiophile Linux distributions out there (free ones too) that will go a (lot) more lightweight being optimised for audio, and will give you control via webserver - a nicer way to do it. 

As for your audio situation, if you're running Ubuntu desktop you may still have Pulseaudio installed in addition to ALSA controlling the drivers. PA is very tricky to get right in an audiophile context as it's not explicitly designed for that sort of work. Type pactl list and if you get a response that doesn't essentially look like 'WTF do you mean bro' then you'll have a Pulseaudio instance running. It's a general sound server that's more concerned with the sort of things you'd have a desktop OS do, like make sure all your sound effects can be played, music can be heard, all at the same time regardless of what frequency or bitrate they originate from. The standard resample engine (for instance) is very fast but not very audiophile, and there are some usual tricks implemented in standard form to keep the CPU utilisation low (like limiting freq response). You can remove it and run just ALSA (the Linux equivalent of direct audio in Windows) - most audiophile installations do - but there's some work in building a solid audiophile implementation around it. Being the world of Linux there are other ways to skin that cat too (JACK, etc...)

Not everything in ALSA supports volume control, your SPDIF interface will be one - it's just 'on' or 'off' or 'muted'. 

What are you trying to get this little NUC to do?

Purely want the NUC solely to connect via a Halide Bridge spdif converter into my hifi systems dac/amp/speakers.

The only reason I need VNC is to control the NUC/Tidal/streaming radio, etc. and avoid having to need a monitor/mouse/keyboard sitting in my hifi system rack.

I just want to control the NUC remotely from my pc in another room, which naturally already has a permanent monitor, etc. 

Happy to use an IPAD if thats any easier, but I previously used VNC without any problem to remotely control an old Powermac G5 box sitting next to the hifi system (without needing monitor, etc)

Your thoughts...?

Guest rmpfyf
3 minutes ago, SETfan said:

Purely want the NUC solely to connect via a Halide Bridge spdif converter into my hifi systems dac/amp/speakers.

The only reason I need VNC is to control the NUC/Tidal/streaming radio, etc. and avoid having to need a monitor/mouse/keyboard sitting in my hifi system rack.

I just want to control the NUC remotely from my pc in another room, which naturally already has a permanent monitor, etc. 

Happy to use an IPAD if thats any easier, but I previously used VNC without any problem to remotely control an old Powermac G5 box sitting next to the hifi system (without needing monitor, etc)

Your thoughts...?

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/ will probably do what you want. No need for VNC, a webserver will perform better for this.

Ahh, that looks interesting. Will check it out thanks. So am guessing that I can simply just use the Ipad or say my phone to control it without any need to install software on them, ie. just go to a website on them. Will look more into this tomorrow!

Doesnt look like Snakeoil will be an option for me...My NUC onlu has Intel Centrino Wireless N2230 network card, so wont work according to Snakeoil instructions below.  Damn! Oh well, might try aussievintage suggestion and delete vncserver and start again. Still concerned that ports 5900, 5901 and 5800 were all showing as closed on my Windows PC which I want to use VNC Viewer from...frustrating but will start from scratch again and follow aussievintage's link!!

Here are some things you need know:

• Snakeoil is designed, tested and run on Atom based Mini-ITX motherboards. Other configurations will work but is not tested thoroughly.
  • Only the most popular on-board network cards are supported out of the box. Please refer to this section to install a custom install kernel if your network card is not in this list:
    • Broadcom Tigon3
    • Intel E1000E/E1000
    • Realtek 8169
    • Atheros AR815x/AR816x/AR817x
    • If your network card is not in the list, you might find a install kernel here.
  • Your computer needs to be acquire an IP address from your router (or DHCP server) during the first installation. After Snakeoil OS is installed you can assign a static IP address.

5 minutes ago, SETfan said:

frustrating but will start from scratch again and follow aussievintage's link!!

I actually tested it.  I installed the server on my Mint linux laptop, and ran Windows 7 in a virtual machine on the same machine, installed vnc viewer, and connected to the linux system.

Just an aside.  Interesting thing happens when you do that - video feedback - you see the host PC desktop in the Window of the vnc viewer in the virtual machine viewer, which is on the same desktop, so it shows a picture of itself, viewing the linux desktop with a VMC window in it showing the desktop, again showing the vnc viewer window..  and so on to infinity.  :)

That command to remove the vnc server installation didnt work - I tried xtightvnc as well as vncserver....just in case, as when I kill vncserver it says killing Xtightvnc process. Help?!

:$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is nuc-desktop:1

Starting applications specified in /home/nuc/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/nuc/.vnc/nuc-desktop:1.log

:$ vncserver -kill :1
Killing Xtightvnc process ID 5424
:$ sudo apt-get-remove xtightvnc
sudo: apt-get-remove: command not found
:$ sudo apt-get-remove vncserver
sudo: apt-get-remove: command not found
:$