Any Ubuntu users able to help with remote access issues?

Guest rmpfyf
6 hours ago, SETfan said:

Doesnt look like Snakeoil will be an option for me...My NUC onlu has Intel Centrino Wireless N2230 network card, so wont work according to Snakeoil instructions below.  Damn! Oh well, might try aussievintage suggestion and delete vncserver and start again. Still concerned that ports 5900, 5901 and 5800 were all showing as closed on my Windows PC which I want to use VNC Viewer from...frustrating but will start from scratch again and follow aussievintage's link!!

Here are some things you need know:

• Snakeoil is designed, tested and run on Atom based Mini-ITX motherboards. Other configurations will work but is not tested thoroughly.
  • Only the most popular on-board network cards are supported out of the box. Please refer to this section to install a custom install kernel if your network card is not in this list:
    • Broadcom Tigon3
    • Intel E1000E/E1000
    • Realtek 8169
    • Atheros AR815x/AR816x/AR817x
    • If your network card is not in the list, you might find a install kernel here.
  • Your computer needs to be acquire an IP address from your router (or DHCP server) during the first installation. After Snakeoil OS is installed you can assign a static IP address.

Building a custom kernel isn't that hard - I'd try that, or just ask the site admin to include your driver.

Would seem the kernel is built without module support (which would allow it to find your network adapter and load it ,into memory as a bit of software outside the kernel - usual) which is ok if you're really slimming down (I do this on my builds) however including a kernel with support for your WiFi driver is pretty easy.

Then you're roses with nothing else major to configure, hopefully. VNC is pretty heavyweight software for an audiophile PC, I'd avoid it if you can.

I have asked Snakeoil site admin if they will include my driver, just waiting on a response back...

In the meantime, I thought I would give aussievintage's VNC scraping install a go! So I deleted vncserver and started again with his VNC scraper link. Was going great until I got to this point below - anything obviously wrong that I have done? 

Selection_003.png

Selection_004.png

Guest rmpfyf

@SETfan you're attempting to use ps to get the process identifier for the (allegedly) running VNC server. But the previous command's output suggests it's running just fine, I'd not worry. The ampersand (&) at the end of a command simply runs it in the background, so you'll need to kill the program using it's process ID if you want to stop it. Do you?

There are utilities that you can use to visualise what's running with ease; I use htop (that'd just be htop from the command line - if not installed, sudo apt-get install htop).  You'll see it there and if you want to kill it, that's where you do it. 

Seems to be running fine on port 5900. 

I would still run Snakeoil >>>> VNC if you can.

2 hours ago, SETfan said:

I have asked Snakeoil site admin if they will include my driver, just waiting on a response back...

In the meantime, I thought I would give aussievintage's VNC scraping install a go! So I deleted vncserver and started again with his VNC scraper link. Was going great until I got to this point below - anything obviously wrong that I have done? 

Selection_003.png

Selection_004.png

Put your username in instead of 'user'

Why didn't you just leave it running and try to connect to it?

Eureka! Finally managed to get a connection from my Windows PC - unencrypted/unsecure with warnings, but at least it has connected at long last.

It works pretty slowly, and the right hand side of the Chrome browser page on the Ubuntu desktop screen is flashing on and off all the time..not sure why? I tried to enlarge the Chrome screen but the NUC freezes up when I do this...

Should I be able to turn off the NUC remotely using the VNC on my Windows desktop?

And should I be concerned about the lack of encryption/security while using it?

Edited by SETfan

Can I confirm that this is the command to use to start the vnc server on the NUC ? The previous install all I had to type was vncserver

x0vncserver -passwordfile ~/.vnc/passwd -display :0

Oh no! Had to shut/open NUC after freezing again and now cant start the VNC...? Another thing - when I open Terminal, 2 terminal screens appear??

$ x0vncserver -passwordfile ~/.vnc/passwd -display :0
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyx0vncserver: unable to open display ":0"

Edited by SETfan

7 minutes ago, SETfan said:

Can I confirm that this is the command to use to start the vnc server on the NUC ? The previous install all I had to type was vncserver

Looks right.  Just run this as a startup application, then you never need to remember it.

Ah, I tried using -display :1 instead of -display :0, and it worked!

Will appreciated some help with my other questions, just to get my head around how I can actually use this now (ie. NUC powered continuously, VNC able to start/stop NUC and password/startup issue with NUC machine, etc, etc) 

4 minutes ago, SETfan said:

Hmm, cant start VNC with that command now - keeps showing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE error unable to open display ":0" result

Something to do with xauth.  Run the command

xauth

and you see a list of these cookies.  First thing I would do is reboot and log in again.  Have you tried that?  Something in the crash may have screwed with the .Xauthority file (in your home directory).

2 minutes ago, SETfan said:

Ah, I tried using -display :1 instead of -display :0, and it worked!

Will appreciated some help with my other questions, just to get my head around how I can actually use this now (ie. NUC powered continuously, VNC able to start/stop NUC and password/startup issue with NUC machine, etc, etc) 

Ah, but what happens when you connect to it?  I suspect you won't see your desktop.

Also maybe a reinstall the vnc software might correct things?

It still connected ok using the -display :1 (instead of -display :0 which no longer works).

In fact, I am now typing this post onto Stereonet which is running on the NUC, remotely via VNC on my Windows machine.

But the NUC screen has icons and part of the Chrome browser I use, flashing on and off all the time so something is not quite right.

So a reinstall sounds a good idea! I gather I will need to do another delete first - Can you please confirm the exact terminal command line I need to use to delete the current vncserver installed? I am confused now (not hard!) as to exactly what my vncserver file is called now - especially now that I need to type below in order to start it:

14 minutes ago, SETfan said:

It still connected ok using the -display :1 (instead of -display :0 which no longer works).

In fact, I am now typing this post onto Stereonet which is running on the NUC, remotely via VNC on my Windows machine.

But the NUC screen has icons and part of the Chrome browser I use, flashing on and off all the time so something is not quite right.

So a reinstall sounds a good idea! I gather I will need to do another delete first - Can you please confirm the exact terminal command line I need to use to delete the current vncserver installed? I am confused now (not hard!) as to exactly what my vncserver file is called now - especially now that I need to type below in order to start it:

Somehow your linux system has changed to using :1 instead of :0.  Don't know how.  Probably something done during the experimentation yesterday?

I believe you installed the current vnc with

sudo apt-get install tigervnc-scraping-server

So just change the 'install' to 'remove', although I must say, I am not sure it is going to make any different given the above.  You never know however.

Removed and reinstalled but no change - still get that Magic Cookie unable to open display :0 message...

image.png.588ed1b75968ee5d3ea6b7ea477d0927.png

Also, when I try the xauth you suggested, I only get this - I dont see any list of cookies?:

nuc@nuc-desktop:~$ xauth
Using authority file /run/user/1000/gdm/Xauthority
xauth> 

So now I need some answers on my remaining issues...

1. My NUC has a password at startup - can you tell me how I can stop the requirement for this (otherwise I cant get VNC access when the NUC is powered on without hooking up a screen/keyboard/mouse to the NUC

2. How can I make the vncserver startup automatically whenever the NUC is powered on?

3. Can I remotely power off the NUC using VNC from my Windows machine?

4. If not, do I just turn the NUC off at the power button each time?

5. Should I remove Pulseaudio from the NUC in order to get better sound just through ALSA?

6. Any other suggestions on how to set up best sound quality settings appreciated!!

Cheers!

Guest rmpfyf
10 minutes ago, SETfan said:

So now I need some answers on my remaining issues...

1. My NUC has a password at startup - can you tell me how I can stop the requirement for this (otherwise I cant get VNC access when the NUC is powered on without hooking up a screen/keyboard/mouse to the NUC

2. How can I make the vncserver startup automatically whenever the NUC is powered on?

3. Can I remotely power off the NUC using VNC from my Windows machine?

4. If not, do I just turn the NUC off at the power button each time?

5. Should I remove Pulseaudio from the NUC in order to get better sound just through ALSA?

6. Any other suggestions on how to set up best sound quality settings appreciated!!

Cheers!

1. Yes, you'll have autologin in settings to play with 
  2. Web search this for your version of Ubuntu, it changed within the last few vers
  3. Yes, you can power off remotely any number of ways
  4. See above
  5. This is a bit of work and there's a bit to understand here. It's really not intended for Desktop use as such.
  6. Start with a distro derived from Ubuntu Server, drop all unnecessary jobs - serving a desktop, let alone a copy over networking is very compute intensive relative to playback. Don't get me wrong there's a ton of good work in what you've done, it just doesn't make for an audiophile rig. 

Ok, let's start with No. 1 - Auto-login settings:

I followed this guys steps to stop password login:

https://vitux.com/how-to-enable-disable-automatic-login-in-ubuntu-18-04-lts/

So I get the terminal screen below (which looks ok), but when I do the second part of his instructions through the GUI, and change the autologin button to ON, whenever I reboot the system it stills asks for a password, and the GUI setting always reverts back to autologin = NO

Why wont the GUI automatic login setting stay changed, any solutions/suggestions?

image.png.b8f0108d45fa4b46db2830aa2d92e176.png 

image.png.805b2beb7754194259d6b6133e323804.png

Edited by SETfan

On 11/04/2020 at 8:08 PM, rmpfyf said:

Building a custom kernel isn't that hard - I'd try that, or just ask the site admin to include your driver.

Would seem the kernel is built without module support (which would allow it to find your network adapter and load it ,into memory as a bit of software outside the kernel - usual) which is ok if you're really slimming down (I do this on my builds) however including a kernel with support for your WiFi driver is pretty easy.

Then you're roses with nothing else major to configure, hopefully. VNC is pretty heavyweight software for an audiophile PC, I'd avoid it if you can.

I heard back from the Snakeoil Site administrator below - So this sounds like the only way is to build a custom kernel?

I tried to find some info on the WPA Supplicant setup but it looks like it might be a bit daunting for a newbie like me!

Apologies for the late response. Wifi support will come eventually. Until then, it'll be manual

Do you know how to setup WPA Supplicant from the commandline?

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, SETfan said:

I heard back from the Snakeoil Site administrator below - So this sounds like the only way is to build a custom kernel?

I tried to find some info on the WPA Supplicant setup but it looks like it might be a bit daunting for a newbie like me!

Apologies for the late response. Wifi support will come eventually. Until then, it'll be manual

Do you know how to setup WPA Supplicant from the commandline?

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/connect-to-wi-fi-from-terminal-on-ubuntu-18-04-19-04-with-wpa-supplicant

I don't think I am up for more any more lost hours trying to get this working...am missing out on valuable listening time!

So...how about a different approach! Is it EASY (read: Simple) to remove Ubuntu from my NUC and then just install Windows 10 (as I am far more familiar/comfortable with Windows!)

And if so, is there an Ubuntu command for terminal that will format everything including the Ubuntu? I feel like a quitter and hope I havent wasted too much of your time!! O.o