MoFi Ultradeck and Studiphono

Hi,

New here, but wondering if anyone else out there also has the MoFi Ultradeck,  Ultrtracker cart and Studiophono pre-amp? 

Only recently bit the bullet and I'm liking the the sound, but am wondering if there's much of an element of "burn in" with this combo. Will the sound mellow after a good few hours of play, or stay relatively the same? REason for asking is that sometimes I find the sound a little on the bright or treble side.  Any other MoFi owners thoughts welcome!

MoFi Ultradeck.jpg

Someone once told me that the mechanism in the cartridge i.e. where the end of the stylus is placed near the magnets in the cartridge, needs to be 'loosen' for better sideway and up down movements of the stylus. The increase flexibility will improve tracking and should therefore improve detail retrieval and hence better sound. This can only be  achieved after 20 to 30 hours of running the  cartridge. The preamp probably requires a bit of 'burn-in' too. I keep my StudioPho on all the time.

• 2 months later...

Hi and thanks for the follow up question. I think the advice I got here from members is correct in that the initial bright or slightly overly treble sound has settled with use and a bit of burn-in and the deck is what I'd call more balanced in sound now than it was. As suggested by thimmy118  I have taken to leaving the StereoPhono pre amp on all the time, and I've also been experimenting with a couple of different cables between it and the turntable. Also, as a reviewer mentioned in this recent article http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/mofi-ultradeck-m-turntable-package/

I've also experimented with the tracking weight (mine is the Ultra Tracker, not the Master Tracker). Mine too was pre-installed at the factory and, similar to the experience related in the review, the mark they put on the tonearm as being the correct position to put the counterweight is not at all accurate. So I got a digital stylus gauge and now have it set at 2 grams. That also helped a lot I think, especially with the imaging. (The range MoFi suggests is 1.8 - 2.2 grams). Oh, and I also got a record weight to put on the spindle. Not the $369 MoFi one! but a generic one with the same weight as theirs - I figure that weight is what they've worked out is best, and won't put undue stress on the bearing. This has also been really worthwhile and has made a further incremental improvement to the sound I think. It's also practical as it anchors the record to the Delrin platter much better. Without it if you try cleaning a disc with a fibre brush it slips badly - so an added practical side benefit. Long answer - but all-in-all I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 8:58 AM, beatlesfan said:

Hi and thanks for the follow up question. I think the advice I got here from members is correct in that the initial bright or slightly overly treble sound has settled with use and a bit of burn-in and the deck is what I'd call more balanced in sound now than it was. As suggested by thimmy118  I have taken to leaving the StereoPhono pre amp on all the time, and I've also been experimenting with a couple of different cables between it and the turntable. Also, as a reviewer mentioned in this recent article http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/mofi-ultradeck-m-turntable-package/

I've also experimented with the tracking weight (mine is the Ultra Tracker, not the Master Tracker). Mine too was pre-installed at the factory and, similar to the experience related in the review, the mark they put on the tonearm as being the correct position to put the counterweight is not at all accurate. So I got a digital stylus gauge and now have it set at 2 grams. That also helped a lot I think, especially with the imaging. (The range MoFi suggests is 1.8 - 2.2 grams). Oh, and I also got a record weight to put on the spindle. Not the $369 MoFi one! but a generic one with the same weight as theirs - I figure that weight is what they've worked out is best, and won't put undue stress on the bearing. This has also been really worthwhile and has made a further incremental improvement to the sound I think. It's also practical as it anchors the record to the Delrin platter much better. Without it if you try cleaning a disc with a fibre brush it slips badly - so an added practical side benefit. Long answer - but all-in-all I'm very happy with it.

I have the UltraDeck to myself I definitely concur 2grams is the sweet spot anything under 2grams I get miss tracking. I have the master tracker version the cart definitely improves with burnin . Im loving mine how's yours going. I paired mine with the new elac ppa-e pre amp stunning combo.. so exciting when you get a new setup playing through your collection and hearing it in ways you didn't before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 May 2020 at 11:32 AM, grorr76 said:

I have the UltraDeck to myself I definitely concur 2grams is the sweet spot anything under 2grams I get miss tracking. I have the master tracker version the cart definitely improves with burnin . Im loving mine how's yours going. I paired mine with the new elac ppa-e pre amp stunning combo.. so exciting when you get a new setup playing through your collection and hearing it in ways you didn't before.

Hi grorr76, sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the info on the tracking weight, and also for the info on the Elac ppa-2 phono amp. I wasn't even aware Elac made phono amps. Sounds really like a great pairing for this particular turntable. I've just Googled and found Michael Fremer's glowing review and noticed you've commented there about how great it sounds too. You mention a big price increase is on the way. Should I jump now before it hits, and where did you get yours? Cheers.

4 hours ago, beatlesfan said:

Hi grorr76, sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the info on the tracking weight, and also for the info on the Elac ppa-2 phono amp. I wasn't even aware Elac made phono amps. Sounds really like a great pairing for this particular turntable. I've just Googled and found Michael Fremer's glowing review and noticed you've commented there about how great it sounds too. You mention a big price increase is on the way. Should I jump now before it hits, and where did you get yours? Cheers.

Looks like you can still get the elac at the same price I did. https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/products/elac-alchemy-series-ppa-2-phono-preamplifier?_pos=37&_sid=d46a37e39&_ss=r

• 2 months later...
Just now, mloutfie said:

@grorr76 I'm considering to get this elac phono also. Where do you hear about the price increase? Might need to get it sooner if it's the case

I think it was rubbish sales tactic. It can still be had for 1699. I’m loving mine i run it balanced with my mofi ultradeck. Absolutely no complaints. It’s definitely at its best balanced. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Another alternative phono stage would be the Primare R15 , similar price to the Elac. 

https://reviewary.com/primare-r15-review/

the elac is amazing for the money the r15 really isn't comparable as its not balanced, its bigger brother the r35 is more compatible on spec but you have to pay over 2 grand for it.  guess it depends if having xor's is important to you. on the elac they have more gain, more dynamic and better sound stage. but if you dont have a balanced amp its probably overkill.

• Like 1

Tbh I'm a diy guy and reckon the value proposition of the elac is mighty impressive. A full discrete phono with a mc stage that can be loaded to any value up to 1k using a pot that is electronically measure through a front LCD. Now that is something under $2k