USB to I2S/SPDIF - Edel USB Audio Class 2 transport card

The USB to SPDIF +/- I2S adaptor is a growing field. These devices offer the potential to turn an everyday laptop into a super transport...or not.

This new USB Digital Audio Interface Board is at the sample stage and looks promising as it:

allows extrnal clean power for the clock

isolation of the computer power

external clock input for high quality clocking and aynchronous drive

I2S out (or SPDIF if you must)

OSX to 24/192 and WIN to 24/96 with no drivers

an order of two sample boards costs USD260 each

the boards look small enough to place inside a DAC

im just the messenger, but are some DIY folk going to have a go with a group buy?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549180/edel-usb-to-i2s-spdif-usb-audio-class-2-transport-card

http://www.abc-pcb.com/abc_docs/U2S192-DS-102E.pdf

http://www.maison-passive-nice.fr/pdf/1102-USB-price-list.pdf[ATTACH=CONFIG]30944[/ATTACH]

Edited by Nada

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it could have potential as an I2S interface, as you say. It's driver-free (unless you want >96kHz on Windows), dual-clock, designed for clean external power.

The SPDIF output won't be best-in class though - it's a generic driver with an output transformer.

Probably best used as you suggest, inside a DAC with I2S.

Another device in this class - though perhaps a bit simpler, is the miniSTREAMER from the makers of the miniDSP:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/ministreamer

I've got one, though I'm just using the SP/DIF out, not the i2s header.

Unfortunately not in the same class at all - it's an isochronous (jittery-as-hell) USB device with only a single crystal (meaning more jitter for the synthesised 44.1kHz clock). I've heard this board in the real world and I'm afraid it's not that hot. For best results, do software upsampling to 96kHz and all the other things people do to minimise USB audio jitter on their computers and use special USB cables etc etc...

Unfortunately not in the same class at all - it's an isochronous (jittery-as-hell) USB device with only a single crystal (meaning more jitter for the synthesised 44.1kHz clock). I've heard this board in the real world and I'm afraid it's not that hot. For best results, do software upsampling to 96kHz and all the other things people do to minimise USB audio jitter on their computers and use special USB cables etc etc...

Ah OK, I'll stand corrected. I've got one but I'm using it with the counterpart minidigi which evidently does some SRC and reclocks the signal to reduce jitter.

Yeah Nada, you've got my attention now with this Edel thing. There's enough room inside a PDX for one if you shuffle things around a tiny bit. Maybe even it could work with a short CAT-6 cable to drive a Lite DAC-83 or similar from the outside.

• 3 weeks later...

So...

I've popped the DIR9001 receiver board out of my Audio-GD Sparrow DAC/headamp. The sockets on the board are clearly marked with 3.3V power, ground, master clock input, left/right clock, bit clock and data. That's everything I need right there to connect to an Edel board.

Am getting very tempted.

I may be interested in one of these if a group buy happens, since jkeny's hiface i2s is not currently in production for a while?? Cheers! :)

what DAC do you have at the moment

if you have a PCM1704 DAC you might want to hold off for a month......ive heard there is a very interesting development likely to be available in late June for an ultra low jitter USB asynchonous implementation

Fantastico DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAC there.

It looks like youve got four stacks of ?8 TDA1543 for ? differential stereo output?

where do you get your I2S input from at the moment and is it a strong enough signal current to feed all those chips?

whats the I2S like compared to SPDIF?

Thanks Nada. 4 stacks of 12 chips on each module (48 chips in total running at the moment). Going to 60chip soon and also going to try 120chip to see the effects (if any). Just standard stereo output.

I2S signal is coming from the DDDAC USB to I2S module (the module furtherest away in the photos). Have got guys who are running 120chip no probs, so signal current is all good.

Well, using the I2S with my eeePC (foobar2000, win7, WASAPI driver) is really good. I haven't compared it to SPDIF sorry.. (but from my previous experiences with previous gear, i2s vs spdif, i2s gives a more clearer/raw sound, like a veil has been removed. More open image, clarity, detail, resolution.. u know, the usual stuff :))

Anyways, more hands up for this EDEL module group buy guys! :D

what DAC do you have at the moment

if you have a PCM1704 DAC you might want to hold off for a month......ive heard there is a very interesting development likely to be available in late June for an ultra low jitter USB asynchonous implementation

Do tell ? :)

Another device in this class - though perhaps a bit simpler, is the miniSTREAMER from the makers of the miniDSP:

I have one of these in my PDX and it doesn't even do 88.2kHz.... can't wait to rip it out and replace it with.... an Edel, maybe? Either that or a JKHiface, most likely.

I may be interested in one of these if a group buy happens, since jkeny's hiface i2s is not currently in production for a while?

John has mentioned it will be returning real soon:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/32045-Free-Home-Trial-of-modified-Hiface/page4

Having mucked around with this stuff a bit I think its probably best to start out with something where all the hard work has been done for you like the JK I2S in a box.

Thanks

Bill

I have one of these in my PDX and it doesn't even do 88.2kHz.... can't wait to rip it out and replace it with.... an Edel, maybe? Either that or a JKHiface, most likely.

Hi Rab

Now he has the first production version up and running I am pretty sure Mike is taking orders. Why not drop him a line.

Thanks

Bill

Rab if you wait there will inevitably be a comparison of a PDX fed I2S via either the Edel or via the Hiface.

If you run Windoze you might want to wait for the special direct PCM1704 USB digital drive board to be developed by an independent guru.

This new design promises to be a generational leap above all current products by allowing the DF1704 to be entirely bypassed.

Give it a couple of months and you will save the possibility of early redundancy.

I will update the situation in a new thread when the news breaks.

Edited by Nada

Now he has the first production version up and running I am pretty sure Mike is taking orders. Why not drop him a line.

I think Mike is more likely to take out a restraining order against me or block my number... i have called him many times in the past few weeks, thanks to kdoot!:confused:

Rab if you wait there will inevitably be a comparison of a PDX fed I2S via either the Edel or via the Hiface

Thanks Nada; I even offered my PDX to Mike for such a purpose. The Edel board looks very promising indeed.

If you run Windoze you might want to wait

veeerryyy interesting indeed, but i am driving my PDX from OSX (using Fidelia) at present... but i am also not beyond putting a Windows box together if the results make it worth it... maybe one of those low power Alix boards...

Please do keep us posted!

Edited by rab

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just letting everyone know I have ordered an Edel board and similar to what happened with the John Kenny will get it put in one of my DAC's. It is a bit more expensive than the JK (but not by much) and I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Guys

Just letting everyone know I have ordered an Edel board and similar to what happened with the John Kenny will get it put in one of my DAC's.

Hmmm, i thought you had already ordered one weeks ago!

I don't know if you're interested, but I have offered my level 2 PDX to Mike for the purposes of comparison... it would be very interesting to compare your level 2 PDX with the JKHiface-I2S to my level 2 PDX with an Edel board: apples-to-apples! Interested?

Hmmm, i thought you had already ordered one weeks ago! I don't know if you're interested, but I have offered my level 2 PDX to Mike for the purposes of comparison... it would be very interesting to compare your level 2 PDX with the JKHiface-I2S to my level 2 PDX with an Edel board: apples-to-apples! Interested?

Hi Rab

I did mate, I did. But they didn't get back to me, so I sent them another email - still no response. In exasperation I rang them and they were scratching their head - they evidently replied both times. They sent me another reply and I finally noticed what the problem was - my spam filters rejected it. Anyway once that was sorted out I got the price etc and paid for it. It should be arriving shortly.

Thanks for the offer but the DAC that has the JK Hiface in it is actually not my DAC, it was made for a friend. My DAC is the one slated for the Edel treatment.

Thanks

Bill

I wonder what the Edel costs landed vis the Kenny I2S?

Hi Nada

The John Kenny landed was $350 - the Edel $500 (approx). But that includes about $180 shipping for the Edel using their courier TNT whereas John used a courier that cost much less - about $40.00 or so if I remember correctly - but it was probably a bit slower. That means only about a $10-20 base price difference. If further down the line someone wants to do a bulk order then not only do they give bulk discounts but the shipping per item will be considerably less and since getting here quickly will probably not be a real issue, shipping costs per item will be dramatically reduced. My gut tells me it may in fact be cheaper than a modfied Hiface for someone that wants to use them if they do a bulk order - but if not I am fairly certain even if not cheaper the price will not be the determining factor in product choice.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba