CNO-Grande Build?

camross

I am planning on building the new CNO -Grande from Troels Gravesen. I was looking at the DTQWT but after a slightly smaller foot print, the prices for the two kits I believe are quite similar.

My main question is has anyone built or heard one of the CNO kits?

I have a full workshop and large bed CNC so plan on building all the cabinets and will be seeking some help to solder up all the crossovers. If any one else is interested in the same kit, I will be happy to share Dwgs and cut cabinets on the CNC. 

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/CNO-GRANDE.htm

image.png.67d68daf5e459997179562f80f3da8bf.png

• Like 1

On 13/11/2019 at 3:09 PM, camross said:

My main question is has anyone built or heard one of the CNO kits?

I had a play with the nexel drivers used.

If the cabinet is the right height for you, and bass output is enough, then I'm sure you won't be disappointed.   TG does great work.

Good grief, he knows how to charge for xovers*. As well as the overpriced and unnecessary bootique caps, you have to pony up to buy PTFE silver plated wire and gold terminal strips. Plus pay the additional shipping and duties to here. Fair dinkum.

* I know I've b*tched about it before, but I'd never read the full parts list, just assumed it was L/C/R components only.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 10:00 PM, hiya said:

What about having a crack at these ones - slightly larger footprint and would sound awesome http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Loudspeaker.htm

Better drivers, but not his best implementation. If you're over 40 the Fostex are likely a massive waste of money.

You could easily source your own drivers and implement it actively for less than his kit price.

On 15/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, camross said:

just slightly larger that my current speakers.

About the same size as my old surrounds.

• Like 2

very happy, have them almost 5 years and so far best sounding speakers I've had, but I have smallish size room (18m2) so don't need big speakers... clear, natural sounding speakers which disappear in the space with pinpoint imaging, give them good crossover and electronics feeding them and you have excellent sounding system

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too am now Interested in the Seas CNO Grande.

Anyone here build them and your impressions?

I can source drivers from Wes components here in Sydney. But this is a closed kit with no.published crossover component values. 

May try to convince Jantzen Audio to sell me only the crossover kit.

Not holding my breath though.

They like to sell you the complete kit only.

Edited by theok

On 29/09/2020 at 1:54 PM, theok said:

I too am now Interested in the Seas CNO Grande.

Anyone here build them and your impressions?

I can source drivers from Wes components here in Sydney. But this is a closed kit with no.published crossover component values. 

May try to convince Jantzen Audio to sell me only the crossover kit.

Not holding my breath though.

They like to sell you the complete kit only.

No they don't. They are happy to sell just the crossover. All the prices are listed separately so you can see exactly what they will cost

They even seperate it for level one, two and three builds if available and then will well you just the upgrade parts later.

I don't actually have the CNO speakers, i have the Jentzen Seas ER, I think they are called. Which would be a driver level down from these. Using a bigger cabinet and larger bass driver. I can upgrade to these drivers later if I wish.

So I can't help with the sound of these, only to say my speakers are amazing, i would happily compare them to anything at any price and know i would still be happy with mine.

He calls himself DIY but he is not really, you have to think driver companies get him to build speakers for them so they can show there drivers off at shows. They would not do that if there were better options.

I bet these speakers would sound better than mine without the absolute full range, but then add two subs and your done.

13 hours ago, russell66 said:

No they don't. They are happy to sell just the crossover. All the prices are listed separately so you can see exactly what they will cost

They even seperate it for level one, two and three builds if available and then will well you just the upgrade parts later.

Ok.

Thats good to know. I  may just pull the trigger on these.  Cant go wrong with Troels designs being a pro speaker designer and one of the best out there.

Edited by theok