5v4g in place of gz34?

I had been given a 5v4g tube from my friend and told me from the hand book it can be directly interchangeable with gz34 tube.

So i would the 5v4g able to use in the place of gz34? It follows by 2 6v6gt in the power stage of my preamp.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Zing

Yes it should be fine. It seems to produce slightly less maximum current but they are said to be interchangeable.

My preamp specifies the rectifier as the following for example:

image.png.b2cd481f0b9e6e564b6cb34f675f71d9.png

Of course not all uses may be interchangeable depending on design of the electronics but in this case I think it's fine.

Edited by Ittaku

21 minutes ago, chick3nrice said:

Ive tried to search on the net and seems that works fine with 6v6gt tubes but not with 6L6gt tubes as they draw more current than 6v6gt. 

That's a far more substantial modification I believe.

This site may be hard to parse but has almost all the information if you know what you're looking for.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/

• Like 1

Drop in the 5v4g to replace the genelex reissue gz34 today. No issue at all so far.

It does sound a lot better than the reissue gz34! Improved soundstage, more air, details and more "3D" sounding.

Suprised by changing a rectifier improved the sound. 1567243895616.jpeg

31 minutes ago, chick3nrice said:

Drop in the 5v4g to replace the genelex reissue gz34 today. No issue at all so far.

It does sound a lot better than the reissue gz34! Improved soundstage, more air, details and more "3D" sounding.

Suprised by changing a rectifier improved the sound. 1567243895616.jpeg

Amazing, rectifiers shouldn't affect the sound except in class ab power amps. What did you change your rectifiers in?

It's in the power stage of my preamp. Rectifier to 2x6v6gt then 6sl7. Follow by 4x6sn7 in seperate box.

I did change the rectifier in my dac too. From 5u4g/274b(interchangeable according to the manufacturer) to u52 brown base.  Do notice big improvement to the sound. Better control and dynamic. 

Edited by chick3nrice

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Rectifier tubes make a big difference (in a Supratek preamp).

Stick a Mullard gz37 or gz32 (brown bases) in and hear the difference!

? I just said exactly the opposite.

They didn't make any audible difference in my Supratek preamp, but then I didn't expect them to either, so perhaps it's expectation bias ? Either way, if it doesn't make an audible difference to me then I'm better off with the cheapest reliable rectifier I can buy.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Stick a Mullard gz37 or gz32 (brown bases) in and hear the difference!

Im swapped to gec/brimar U52 brown base in my dac from russian version 5u4g and full music 274b. Major improvements! The only downside is U52s are so expensive.?

There is a very good reason better rectifiers make a significant difference to sound.

Just can't think of it at the moment.  Its just that I'm not in a creative mood to make something up.  Must read more marketing spin.

edit - now I remember - voltage drop.  Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Lloyd

29 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

There is a very good reason better rectifiers make a significant difference to sound.

Just can't think of it at the moment.  Its just that I'm not in a creative mood to make something up.  Must read more marketing spin.

edit - now I remember - voltage drop.  Makes perfect sense.

Voltage drop (sag) is only relevant for class AB power amplifiers. Class A preamps (and power amps) draw a constant  current and there is no sag regardless of conditions. Unless you mean simply less votage output total...? Supratek preamps are voltage regulated after the rectifier so that wouldn't be it either...

Edited by Ittaku

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Voltage drop (sag) is only relevant for class AB power amplifiers. Class A preamps (and power amps) draw a constant  current and there is no sag regardless of conditions. Unless you mean simply less votage output total...? Supratek preamps are voltage regulated after the rectifier so that wouldn't be it either...

I have no idea what I mean.  Glad you filled in the blanks.

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2019 at 6:49 PM, Ittaku said:

? I just said exactly the opposite.

They didn't make any audible difference in my Supratek preamp, but then I didn't expect them to either, so perhaps it's expectation bias ? Either way, if it doesn't make an audible difference to me then I'm better off with the cheapest reliable rectifier I can buy.

Exactly right - I couldn't agree more.  ?

It's unfortunate that poor sods like me do hear a difference (real or imagined) and pay for the perception.