Moon 240i + KEF Q950 mismatch?

Hi, I have a 240i and KEF Q950 speakers. They are good together but not as nuanced as I’d like. I’m more into listening to acoustic music and I seem to be losing the mids a bit compared to other set ups. Am looking at either changing my speakers to Minitor silver 300’s or may change the amp to better suit the KEF’s ie more power. If anyone that has experience with either of these products and could recommend a switch that would benefit me and not break the bank I’d be grateful. Thanks

Silver series Monitor Audio are a HUGE step up from Q series KEF.  Also, they are far easier to drive.

See if you can demo some of those Monitor Audio speakers at home, I think they will give you what you're after.  

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

What size is your room? The 950's are big speakers and need room to breathe a bit.

It could be that they are loading the room with too much bottom end, muddying up the midrange.

If you're not getting midrange out of those Uni-Q drivers, something is amiss.

Stereo is under a mezzanine. That area is about 3x6m but overall the room is large 19m x 6m with 5m ceiling. It’s an odd set up and far from perfect but trying to make the most of it.

I did demo my mate’s 340i which is 100w and the I think the low end was snappier with the increased power but an upgrade to a 340i (and staying with moon) is big $. Any amp that May suit the KEFS better than the moon?

i have the Q950's and find that they are plenty good in all ranges BUT i did find fiddling with position gave me more or less of what i was after.  I moved mine a little closer to the wall for more bass (as my preference)

toe in or out with the uni q drivers does enhance mids and highs.

I was running the Yamaha AS1100 and found the mids and highs a little too much for my music tastes/styles but recently bought a Vincent SV237 and things are perfect now.

The KEFq950s i think are great speakers, move them around a bit back/forth toe in/out and see how it goes. 

...they are not super hard to drive but do like being driven if that makes sense.

are you using them for vinyl or digital or both?

Edited by 08Boss302

10 minutes ago, EdArmy said:

Oh and forgive my ignorance but what’ a toe?

no ignorance i learnt by asking also...

toe in toe out is the angle you point the speaker, ie straight ahead, angled out or in is the toe.  Same principle as wheel alignments and camber etc...

i found mine with a slight toe in (so the inside speaker cabinet was just visible to me) identical on both speakers was the sweet spot.  It will depend on your room and acoustics of course but then you can work out how close or far you want them from the wall which will impact bass or create muddiness etc.

i must stress, i am certainly no scholar or expert on this, i have gained great advice via this forum but i cannot express enough how much reading and listening you do the best thing is get the basic principles then move your speakers and listen to a track/s you know very well and make adjustment, always noting down where you started so you dont forget your base mark.

i drew a small diagram and photocopied it multiple times and just noted different positions by measurment (tape measure distance from wall from each corner of the speaker etc) then keep doing this till you find the spot it all falls into place which will be the soundstage depth and width as well as those mids you are chasing.

Edited by 08Boss302
added to post
  • Like 1

I’ve drawn a quick diagram for you of my measurements but remember these suit my room and seating position 

41cm from outside rear corner to wall and 64cm from inside front corner to wall...

i used an app for measuring degree of toe in but if you measure accurately and ensure both speakers are mm perfect identical in all measurements the toe in degree will sort it self out

The 2.32m is from centre to centre and the 9cm is the distance from the tv cabinet to the speaker side

I am no wizard at this and this was purely my way of doing things. Other options like bass traps and room panels will also have a great influence on sound. I have none of either...

windows, reflective surfaces ie, floors all play a part too

My speakers are slightly offset to each side wall ie, right speaker is about 85cm to wall and right speaker is about a meter.  Whilst this may not be deemed ideal it’s nothing I’ve lost sleep over nor has it impacted any enjoyment. 

i used the 38% rule (reversed) from the back of my room for seating position (2.05) and for speakers I kept within the first third  and just moved things around till I was happy.  I have also read anywhere between 35-38% is fine.

hope this helps a bit, see how you go.

starting point for me was getting the room distances understood and positioning my chair appropriately- after that I positioned speakers and kept moving till that sweet spot hit

now I just sit and enjoy

the Q950s are a great speaker imo, keep tweeting, you’ll be rewarded  

03471601-64AD-4839-9BEC-918502F28E71.jpeg

69680A5D-370A-4713-BF44-328048E47E50.jpeg

I did also forget to mention I placed my seating position just inside the point of an isosceles triangle 

using sting and camera tripod I created a triangle with the base points being the speakers and just behind my head being the tip

the tip being roughly 3m from each speaker

again,,I ensured measurements were identical

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I did also forget to mention I placed my seating position just inside the point of an isosceles triangle 

using sting and camera tripod I created a triangle with the base points being the speakers and just behind my head being the tip

Perfect.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are well down the Speaker position path - and that is a good thing!

Just adding a note from the other direction.  I don't know the Kef's, but I do run a Moon 240i (mainly Tidal via Roon/NUC on USB input, into Q-Qcoustics Concept 500's) and listen to a lot of acoustic guitar.  Into the 91db sensitivity of the Kef's the 240i would not be lacking power,  and in the lower mid-range it certainly doesn't lack clarity.  It is extremely detailed and clean.  I also run a Mytek Brooklyn DAC into KT-120 Valve Monoblocks in the same setup and the 240i stands up very well against that (which is why I still have it - it mainly gets used in summer when the valves get a bit warm)

So I would certainly go down the room setup and speaker path before questioning the 240i.  If you are really questioning the 240i then see if you can play it through some other speakers through a friend or even a friendly retailer before giving up on it.  I very much doubt you will find it an issue.

Gibbo

• Like 2