Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

A little off topic, but pertinent here I think:

I bought  an HDCD disc (Neil Young's Mirrorball) that was described as "good"   and lightly scratched and played fine. In fact it was heavily scratched., and whilst if plays fine now, I am dubious about how long that will last. (any views on that?) I like having some hi res discs to pop on without having to start the server etc

I have lodged a complaint, and the seller is behaving like a dick. He told me to look up ebay's rating system for CDs which I did and this disc is definitely in the lowest group, but the rating system is certainly curious. Of the four categories good is the second last, or third, definitely below the median rating, which is somewhat counterintuitive- I would think the "Good " description sounds more like "fair", for those of us who look at condition

https://www.ebay.com/pages/help/sell/contextual/condition_7.html

34 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

A little off topic, but pertinent here I think:

I bought  an HDCD disc (Neil Young's Mirrorball) that was described as "good"   and lightly scratched and played fine. In fact it was heavily scratched., and whilst if plays fine now, I am dubious about how long that will last. (any views on that?) I like having some hi res discs to pop on without having to start the server etc

I have lodged a complaint, and the seller is behaving like a dick. He told me to look up ebay's rating system for CDs which I did and this disc is definitely in the lowest group, but the rating system is certainly curious. Of the four categories good is the second last, or third, definitely below the median rating, which is somewhat counterintuitive- I would think the "Good " description sounds more like "fair", for those of us who look at condition

https://www.ebay.com/pages/help/sell/contextual/condition_7.html

eBay's rating system seems to be IS skewed toward encouraging sales.

If there was a photo of the scratches in the listing, your legs cannot be relied upon for standing upon in this case.

How is the seller's feedback? You could suggest the feedback threat, or if you paid via Paypal, that may be a viable recourse.

I recently had a complaint re a skipping disc that was fully refunded. Similar for a (cheap) CD that never arrived (Christmas mail rush or mailbox theft), even though I advised that I wanted the CD and not a refund. No communication was sent,  just the refund (maybe an auto-notification).

I'd like to see a more honest rating system,  but I suppose that's why there is customer feedback re purchases and not lower designations of quality such as:

4 - Fairly sh!te

5 - Scratched to hell

6 - Completely knackered (for sleeve collectors only)

If you are really unhappy about the product, definitely get a refund even if it’s a lot of effort for little money. I have done it more than a few times.  

From my experience, I always downgrade it one level for used disc or records.  Good means Fair, Very good means Good.  They are generally always rated one level too high. 

Probably along the same lines as the Goldmines record grading, good isn't actually good. My minimum grading I would consider buying is VG++. Check to see if Goldmines has CD grading, I'll bet that's what ebay base their's on.

Pretty cool decks  in Sydney including revox CD, two high end Sony DATs and pretty much my dream nakamichi deck.. Missing heaps of buttons though! lol someone save it! 

Oh and a big yammy AV amp. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canley-vale/stereo-systems/hi-end-vintage-amplifier-cd-dat-all-come-as-it/1241534094

Edited by Rrobot
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rrobot said:

Pretty cool decks  in Sydney including revox CD, two high end Sony DATs and pretty much my dream nakamichi deck.. Missing heaps of buttons though! lol someone save it! 

Oh and a big yammy AV amp. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canley-vale/stereo-systems/hi-end-vintage-amplifier-cd-dat-all-come-as-it/1241534094

Big risk as is ? Like nothing other than " comes as is ". 

Looks like a pawn shop. 

FYI Canley vale is next to Cabramatta. 

ie where that poor young guy was assaulted and died in hospital after trying to sell a pair of headphones on gumtree to some randoms who took advantage of the situation.