General Headphone Chat

35 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

With the RME in my setup I’ve got simple EQ functionality at my fingertips. I’ve dabbled in a few changes based on various recommendations I’ve read online, but in the end I think it’s best without EQ. Love the HD800S. One of the best headphones you can buy.

That’s strange. I wouldn’t have agree with you until I heard Peppy’s HD800s the other night. I have the HD800 but the S bass was pretty impressive and wide of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Alright I cave in and bought or will buy Neil’s HD800S. Now I will have HD800 and HD800S side by side. I’m a walking advertisement for Sennheiser.

Wow Matt, you have been on a buying spree lately, I might just go your house to audition gear instead of minidisc from now on hehe...

28 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Alright I cave in and bought or will buy Neil’s HD800S. Now I will have HD800 and HD800S side by side. I’m a walking advertisement for Sennheiser.

You're a walking advertisment for seeking mental health help for fomo

18 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Bengineer is the consultant but he’s pro bono.

I do not like U2 thank you very much.

• Haha 2

This is the seller's picture of the twin glass racks that I bought cheap. It's in my Canberra's accommodation waiting to be set up. Each holds 4 items so I can have up to 8 items max at any one time, not including headphones.... or maybe headphones will be on stands sitting on the top shelf.  So 6 amps / dacs at any one time. Can't be too greedy. 

670A1353-0E23-4B8B-A6D3-57A0495F6AD2.thumb.jpeg.f247d478048ec19991f3dd4dc2925995.jpeg

I just came back from https://www.minidisc.com.au/ to collect my LCD-3f. Totally renewed. Very pleased with new headband and new earpads and new yoke.

While there I ask to audition Susvara with Chord Hugo TT 2 and M'Scaler. As expected it's a neutral, transparent tone, full of details and clarity. Not as bright as SMSL SP200 of course. Up the volume and it can go loud but it does not move me. I think I am too used to the organic 3D tone of tube amps.

Then I had the Auris Nirvana added to the mix. So :-
Chord Hugo TT2 (AUD$8500) + M'Scaler (AUd$7500) > Auris Nirvana (AUD $9299) > HiFiMan Susvara (AUD $7499).

Now it's a lovely organic 3D tone but with so much details and clarity. I could totally love Susvara in this setup but that's a total cost of AUD $32,800. I don't think I'll forget this 2 hours audition. It's a dream. All items in this setup is pure class in build and SQ. Seriously this is end game for me.

Having said that, I actually prefer what I heard in the shop 3 weeks ago. Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD-4. Perhaps not as detailed as the above but the visceral impact is there due to LCD-4. Susvara is lighter in tone but can still kick the heck out of kick drums but just not as hard as LCD-4. However tonally Susvara is like a group of angels singing. I'm moved with this setup.

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon ?

Did you try the Qutest >Mscaler > amp(?) with either headphones? I've read that some who have owned both the TT2 and the Qutest have preferred the sound of Qutest > Mscaler, and therefore sold the TT2.

No I did not. Didn't want to trouble Wing further or he might hand me the keys to the shop and say, 'Help yourself'.

It wasn't exactly apples to apples comparison.

Setup One 3 weeks ago:-

Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD-4

Setup Two today:-

Chord Hugo TT2 > M Scaler > Auris Nirvana > Susvara

Both are amazing and I'll take Setup Two plus LCD-4. ? That would be AUD $38,000 cheap cheap. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Niktech said:

I've read that some who have owned both the TT2 and the Qutest have preferred the sound of Qutest > Mscaler, and therefore sold the TT2.

I find that hard to believe. Rob improve on the Qutest to get the Hugo TT2. Whatever it is, I'll take the TT2 + MScalar even if it sounds crap because it's just smacksie in looks.

21 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I find that hard to believe. Rob improve on the Qutest to get the Hugo TT2. Whatever it is, I'll take the TT2 + MScalar even if it sounds crap because it's just smacksie in looks.

I think it was on Audiophile Style, it was some time ago.

No point reading. Have to hear it for yourself. Did TT2 sound better than Qutest? TT2 with MScalar definitely sound better than Qutest alone - to my ears. Never tried Qutest with MScalar so wouldn't know. It would be an unlikely combination though.

For the record, I would have been very happy with just Qutest, even though I have Yggdrasil. Does it sound better than Yggy? I'm biased so I would say no but nevertheless Qutest is very good. ?

Did not like TT2 + MScalar by itself with Susvara but with Auris Nirvana then it's different but I think it's way too expensive to enjoy it.  My present gear gives me satisfaction no less, not trying to console myself. I'm not influenced by price either.