General Headphone Chat

Thanks. Just saw it's a mini Toslink. I have an existing Chord optical cable which I hope to use. So hope the recommendation will be with a full size optical input!

The input behind Airport Express is a 3.5mm mini analog/optical jack, doesn't accept regular size optical cable.

I know. I have a mini Toslink to Standard Toslink cable. So the mini side goes into the airport express and the Dac side have to be standard Toslink.

The input behind Airport Express is a 3.5mm mini analog/optical jack, doesn't accept regular size optical cable.

Haha. I tend to agree as my needs are pretty weird since now everyone goes for USB now.

The idea is to reuse what I currently have. Thats why ideally just get an equipment with standard optical in rather than changing cables again.

You are hard to please :)

FWIW if you want a completely mini Toslink to mini Toslink cable, you can get one from Wireworld. Uses glass fibre to boot.

This Knowledge Zenith R3 wood iem just arrived. Yeah both side 'L' labelling. Tokong man. Out of the box, it is just crappy sounding, overly booming bass, rough treble, lacklustre details. Far far cry from the pistons. Hope some burning might help make it decent  >:(

15233958309_e7df6eb672_c.jpg

This Knowledge Zenith R3 wood iem just arrived. Yeah both side 'L' labelling. Tokong man. Out of the box, it is just crappy sounding, overly booming bass, rough treble, lacklustre details. Far far cry from the pistons. Hope some burning might help make it decent  >:(

15233958309_e7df6eb672_c.jpg

As its wood, it should be quite flammable. haha

put two in left year one mids and highs, another for lows. then buy another pair of the matching rights for an awesome experience.  ;D

anyways for budget prc designed earphones, i really quite like the Havi b3 pro 1. at one pt was the flavor of the month on headfi i bgt one pair to try and am quite pleased with what it can do for 70 sgd. good pair of neutral earphones and little microphonics, its my go to gym earphones now.

Planning to increase budget for a decent headfi setup.

Possible option may also include the Oppo HA-1 and PM-1. Was reading some negative points about the HA-1 in terms of heat generated and also dust entering the unit through the vent. One main minus for me for the Oppo HA-1 is the size. I prefer something smaller in terms of footprint.

Thinking of other possible options like the Centrance Dacmini CX or Centrance Hifi M8 or the Schiit Asgard 2/ Lyr 2 + Schiit Bifrost Combo. Cans most likely are Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Hifiman HE400 or the Oppo PM-1.

Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated for a newbie in the Headfi world!

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Been using the HD800 for about 2 weeks now and burning in the headphones daily when I'm not using them.

Compared to my Adam Artist 5 speakers - the HD800 provide a lot more details / clarity and imaging is on par or even better than the speakers.

Just curious - what are possible headphone amplifiers for the HD800 for a budget of 1000 - 2200 SGD?

I saw the recent TEAC HA-501 and there's also the Sennheiser HDVD600 and Lehman BCL

My preferred sound signature:

- Revealing

- Flat signature but don't mind a mid + treble focus

Genre:

- Classical music (90%)

- Jazz & related (10%)

Hi everyone,

Been using the HD800 for about 2 weeks now and burning in the headphones daily when I'm not using them.

Compared to my Adam Artist 5 speakers - the HD800 provide a lot more details / clarity and imaging is on par or even better than the speakers.

Just curious - what are possible headphone amplifiers for the HD800 for a budget of 1000 - 2200 SGD?

I saw the recent TEAC HA-501 and there's also the Sennheiser HDVD600 and Lehman BCL

My preferred sound signature:

- Revealing

- Flat signature but don't mind a mid + treble focus

Genre:

- Classical music (90%)

- Jazz & related (10%)

Apples vs Oranges..how to compare?