General Headphone Chat

Why would you do that.. why not just connect the DAP to the higher powered portable amp directly?

Output power is independent from gain...

i recently got a Creative E1 portable amp which was on offer ($30+), small size but only manage to drive my cans slightly louder by a bit only. Thinking whether adding another small size amp might up the volume further or not. hehe

i recently got a Creative E1 portable amp which was on offer ($30+), small size but only manage to drive my cans slightly louder by a bit only. Thinking whether adding another small size amp might up the volume further or not. hehe

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  The loudness is dependent on the final amp that is connected to the headphone.

It is better to buy one good solid amp to drive your headphones.

(Audio)

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  The loudness is dependent on the final amp that is connected to the headphone.

It is better to buy one good solid amp to drive your headphones.

(Audio)

ooo... okok thanks thanks. Always got the misconception because both in and out are line level. Thanks thanks.

ooo... okok thanks thanks. Always got the misconception because both in and out are line level. Thanks thanks.

I think you meant to say - both are mini stereo jacks.

That is true - but the input expects a line level signal and the output is a "speaker output" signal for the headphone transducers.

You could put them in line but you'll probably hear distortion when you try turning up the sound too much.

This is not unlike the OLD DAYS when sound cards for PCs only had headphone jacks, and you plugged an active speaker (with its own built in amps) to the headphone output. If you drive the volume beyond a certain level, you start hearing saturation.

I think you meant to say - both are mini stereo jacks.

That is true - but the input expects a line level signal and the output is a "speaker output" signal for the headphone transducers.

You could put them in line but you'll probably hear distortion when you try turning up the sound too much.

This is not unlike the OLD DAYS when sound cards for PCs only had headphone jacks, and you plugged an active speaker (with its own built in amps) to the headphone output. If you drive the volume beyond a certain level, you start hearing saturation.

thanks for the detailed explanation, I'm still very new to the IEM/Cans scene.

Picked up some DAPs over the weekend to play with.

AK120II is more neutral/balanced than the other AKs.. was kind of surprised I'd like something from them.

Only issue is that when it runs in usb dac mode, there is a slight delay for video.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest durianlover88

Brolers who has the JH Audio Roxanne UIEM, can advise how long is the run in period?

These phones are bery good but heavy on the ears and sometimes interfere with the spectacles with the over-ear hook. ....any tips on improving comfort or performance? Thanks!

Confirmed the Sony MDR-HW700DS can sync multiple headphones. I my syncing 3 at the moment with the set.

OK, then must buy another one the next time I  am in Tokyo......  :)

(Audio)

Some say no diff on burn in but for me it does make a diff, usually I leave if play 24hrs a day on a ipod plug in to charger for a few months lolz.

Roxx is the heaviest IEM I ever used, the plug is big and uncomfortable if it press against your skin. But mine is custom version. Not sure how to improve on Universal version.

Brolers who has the JH Audio Roxanne UIEM, can advise how long is the run in period?

These phones are bery good but heavy on the ears and sometimes interfere with the spectacles with the over-ear hook. ....any tips on improving comfort or performance? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I recommend Astell&Kern AK240.  The keyword is PORTABLE.

It is the best one-box solution for the mobile Audiophile that I own. I saw someone with unlimited budget using the AK240 coupled with a Chord Hugo.  It is very good but I don 't quite like the bulk of it.  I almost bought the Hugo but the Hugo is not a one-box solution, you still need a player.  The AK240 used with a very good headphone or IEM is quite amazing especially on DSD media.  Since June this year, it is the only player I used for all my travel. Sits comfortably in my shirt pocket.

It even has the advantage of balanced output and wireless streaming from your MQS server, you can access your entire library.

(Audio)

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to get a DAC with optical input for me to stream my music from my Mac Mini to through my Airport Express. It will be great if the DAC have a decent headphone amp for me to start into Headfi as well.

Was looking at possibly a combo of Schiit Magni and Modi. Any other 1 box or 2 box recommendation will be appreciated! Budget lets say around $500.

Looking to get a DAC with optical input for me to stream my music from my Mac Mini to through my Airport Express. It will be great if the DAC have a decent headphone amp for me to start into Headfi as well.

Was looking at possibly a combo of Schiit Magni and Modi. Any other 1 box or 2 box recommendation will be appreciated! Budget lets say around $500.

iFi Micro iDSD, just slightly over your budget.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/