General Headphone Chat

IE 800 are still in ears.

Bose earphones are semi-in ears. Can give them a try. Pretty comfy. SQ subjective as always :)

The ones with the "web rubber" thingy?  I own a pair and I didn't like it.  Bose QC15 is the only one that sounded decent....not even the more expensive QC3 can make it.

(Audio)

hmm I know this may sound a bit strange.. anyone know of any high end ear-phones that are not in-ears?

Something like the apple ipod earphones that is non-intrusive.

I realise I can't wear IEMs for that long a period so good to have something to switch, especially for long flights.. (I prefer not to carry headphones as they are too large).

Have you tried customs? They are much more comfy as they are tailored, esp try the newer silicone ones they are pliant and move when you move your jaw. With universals they exert pressure on your ear canal= pain. 

With IEMs in general, your ears have to 'get used' to them

The ones with the "web rubber" thingy?  I own a pair and I didn't like it.  Bose QC15 is the only one that sounded decent...

(Audio)

Well at least your QC15 has the best noise cancelling tech :)

Another model I rem that is not in ear is the Marshall Minor. They are pretty big and some say very good for acoustic and rock music.

Fortunately my xiaomi pistons eartips are comfy for me :)

Hello, I'm new to headfi and recently got myself a HE-400. I used it on my AVR and it sounded great. Tried on my PC direct but the sound lacks volume and dynamics.

Anyone can intro me a headphone amp suitable for me that is on the budget side?

I need RCA out for the headphone amp as I have powered desktop speakers on my computer as well. Trying to avoid tube as the amp needs to be on most of the time for my active speakers. I have ordered a Geek Out from kickstarter but it has yet to arrive. Is it a good idea to have one output for my speakers (3.5mm to 3.5mm or 3.5mm to RCA for my speakers?) while the other output for my headphone?

BTW I am using SOUND BLASTER X-FI TITANIUM HD soundcard for my computer now and I reckon the Geek might be better than it when it arrives.

IE 800 are still in ears.

Bose earphones are semi-in ears. Can give them a try. Pretty comfy. SQ subjective as always :)

Thanks Audio and whyeme.. I did try IE800 but it is a in-ear also, plus there is the SQ. :)

Putting aside SQ, I didn't like the Bose comfort level.

I think the closest thing I can think of is something like the Final Audio FI-BA-SS which felt quite comfortable though it's somewhat similar to IE800.

Or I think there are some sennheiser earbuds.. just not sure what model.

Have you tried customs? They are much more comfy as they are tailored, esp try the newer silicone ones they are pliant and move when you move your jaw. With universals they exert pressure on your ear canal= pain. 

With IEMs in general, your ears have to 'get used' to them

The only custom I'm interested in are the fitears and at $2.5k or so, I'm not sure I would want to invest since I seldom use them and they are non-transferrable. :) I'm more willing to spend that amount if they are universals which I can at least pass on to someone else.

Are there cheaper customs that I can give a try? I also tried the unique melody which I felt sounded ok, but not exactly cheap either.

Thanks Audio and whyeme.. I did try IE800 but it is a in-ear also, plus there is the SQ. :)

Putting aside SQ, I didn't like the Bose comfort level.

I think the closest thing I can think of is something like the Final Audio FI-BA-SS which felt quite comfortable though it's somewhat similar to IE800.

Or I think there are some sennheiser earbuds.. just not sure what model.

The only custom I'm interested in are the fitears and at $2.5k or so, I'm not sure I would want to invest since I seldom use them and they are non-transferrable. :) I'm more willing to spend that amount if they are universals which I can at least pass on to someone else.

Are there cheaper customs that I can give a try? I also tried the unique melody which I felt sounded ok, but not exactly cheap either.

fitears do come in universal model too..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Bought another headphones from Akihabara.....

4K, 3D, Multichannel 9.1 wireless headphone!!

Lost my earphones in Tokyo....so, took the opportunity to test the new headphones while flying back to Singapore.  Quite shiok....it is 9.1 channels wireless headphones.  The decoder box has 4 HDMI inputs for you to select source.  There is a HDMI output for you to connect to AVR. (See block box on the left) I was using the analog in the plane.  :)

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-HW700DS/

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-hw700ds

(Audio)

how does it sound?

do u know anywhere in sg i can have a listen?

how does it sound?

do u know anywhere in sg i can have a listen?

It sounds better than the stereo wireless Sennheiser one (RD-180) that I bought earlier.  It can play pretty loud surprisingly.

Actually the reason why I am so happy with this headphone is it take away the need of my Gefen 4X4 Matrix switcher and the Symth Research Realiser A8.

Here's why:-

(1) I need the Gefen matrix switcher so that I can switch between 7.1 loudspeaker listening and 7.1 headphone listening.  This MDR-HW700DS does the source switching for me, enable the headphone listening when I switch it on.  When I switch it off, it does HDMI bypass and pass the signal to my Denon AVP for 7.1 for loudspeaker listening.

(2) Completely replaces my Symth Realiser A8, it does 9.1 channels in raw native bitstream.  Before this, I need to switch between Raw Bitstream output and PCM output from the source (a pain to access setup everytime you switch) as the Symth can only accept PCM input only.

(3) The MDR-HW700 is 4K and 9.1 channels ready!!  No need to fiddle around with the EDID setting of my Gefen 4 X 4 switcher.  The issue is I need to customise a EDID that does 4 K together with 7.1 sound.  This headphones totally solve that problem!

(4) One less remote control....the remote is on the headphones itself.  You can switch the unit on / off manually (hard switch button).  It switches on and off automatically when you put on or remove the headphones.  You can select the source input from the headphones (3 HDMI and one set of analog RCA.).  You can also select the DSP effects from the headphones.

If you want me to find a fault with this headset, it's probably is the build in battery, you need to charge it via USB, no option to use standard batteries.

Sorry, I doubt if you can get these in Singapore or Hong kong. I don't even knew that these existed if I have not visited Akihabara.....

(Audio)

More realistic than the Symth Realiser?! Impressive.

Whats the damage?

No,  it is NOT more realistic than the Symth.  It is just that the Symth is rather dated and lacks the refinement.  The Symth is very good in what it does but only in PCM and the learning curve is very steep; the Sony just fit in....and the sound is not bad too, if I want to fault, it can sound a little "hollow".  But it is better than the Sennheiser wireless...RD180.  The Sennheiser has traces of ditortion when driven hard and sounded "bright".

Damage is in the 40,000 yen + region.  About $500 SGD+.  I think....  :)

I bought the last piece off Akihabara Yodobashi..... 

(Audio)

No wonder I did not see any when I last visited! Was looking out for it, though not exactly interested to buy. :)

But there are so many Yodobashi in Tokyo, you could find it in others I suppose.

I saw it being displayed on the demo stand.  A PRC tourist was asking questions and demanding this and that from the sales person....I don't even got a chance to test it at all.  But I know what I want ...so I took the last item slip from the price tag display and headed straight to the cashier.  I am sure he would be mad when he came to his decision to buy and it's out of stock....    :).

(Audio)

But there are so many Yodobashi in Tokyo, you could find it in others I suppose.

I saw it being displayed on the demo stand.  A PRC tourist was asking questions and demanding this and that from the sales person....I don't even got a chance to test it at all.  But I know what I want ...so I took the last item slip from the price tag display and headed straight to the cashier.  I am sure he would be mad when he came to his decision to buy and it's out of stock....    :).

(Audio)

Personally find the Akiba one to be one of the best, although Shinjuku Yodobashi is where I picked up my camera stuff.

Did not look for it over there though.

I visited a large Yodobashi in Osaka (similar building concept as the Akiba, except with more floors leased to 3rd parties) and others.. but still not the same range of gear as the above two. Just IMO. :)

No,  it is NOT more realistic than the Symth.  It is just that the Symth is rather dated and lacks the refinement.  The Symth is very good in what it does but only in PCM and the learning curve is very steep; the Sony just fit in....and the sound is not bad too, if I want to fault, it can sound a little "hollow".  But it is better than the Sennheiser wireless...RD180.  The Sennheiser has traces of ditortion when driven hard and sounded "bright".

Damage is in the 40,000 yen + region.  About $500 SGD+.  I think....  :)

I bought the last piece off Akihabara Yodobashi..... 

(Audio)

Ohh! I just remember being really impressed with the Symth's sound and ability to make me feel that I was listening to speakers despite just wearing headphones- v nice party trick!

It sounds better than the stereo wireless Sennheiser one (RD-180) that I bought earlier.  It can play pretty loud surprisingly.

Actually the reason why I am so happy with this headphone is it take away the need of my Gefen 4X4 Matrix switcher and the Symth Research Realiser A8.

Here's why:-

(1) I need the Gefen matrix switcher so that I can switch between 7.1 loudspeaker listening and 7.1 headphone listening.  This MDR-HW700DS does the source switching for me, enable the headphone listening when I switch it on.  When I switch it off, it does HDMI bypass and pass the signal to my Denon AVP for 7.1 for loudspeaker listening.

(2) Completely replaces my Symth Realiser A8, it does 9.1 channels in raw native bitstream.  Before this, I need to switch between Raw Bitstream output and PCM output from the source (a pain to access setup everytime you switch) as the Symth can only accept PCM input only.

(3) The MDR-HW700 is 4K and 9.1 channels ready!!  No need to fiddle around with the EDID setting of my Gefen 4 X 4 switcher.  The issue is I need to customise a EDID that does 4 K together with 7.1 sound.  This headphones totally solve that problem!

(4) One less remote control....the remote is on the headphones itself.  You can switch the unit on / off manually (hard switch button).  It switches on and off automatically when you put on or remove the headphones.  You can select the source input from the headphones (3 HDMI and one set of analog RCA.).  You can also select the DSP effects from the headphones.

If you want me to find a fault with this headset, it's probably is the build in battery, you need to charge it via USB, no option to use standard batteries.

Sorry, I doubt if you can get these in Singapore or Hong kong. I don't even knew that these existed if I have not visited Akihabara.....

(Audio)

Can the set handle multiple headphones?

Newbie here on Headfi, Just bought a Sennheiser Momentum and iFI IDSD Nano from the bundle promotion from Stereo Electronics - the sound is stupidly good when run from my Galaxy Note2 using USB Audio Player Pro Trial ver.. It sounds better than my 10K+ HiFI

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, may I know if it's feasible to stack portable amp to get more output power? E.g. DAP > portable amp (using 3.5mm) > another portable amp (3.5mm) > headphone

Why would you do that.. why not just connect the DAP to the higher powered portable amp directly?

Output power is independent from gain...

Someone posted on avsforums that it can sync up to 4. Amazon.jp seems to be selling extra headsets as well, thinking of getting for my study which doesn't have a HT setup. Hows the SQ and surround effect?

SQ is so-so....if just watching a movie, it's OK.  Effects....got surround effects but not as great as using speakers, obviously.

(Audio)