SOLD: FS: LINEAR TUBE AUDIO MICROZOTL MZ2 PREAMP/HEADPHONE AMP

SOLD
SOLD

Item: LINEAR TUBE AUDIO MICROZOTL MZ2 PREAMP/HEADPHONE AMP
Price: $1600
Item Condition: Faultless
Reason for selling: Upgrade (see below)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, EFT, Paypal (+3%) . Local sale only unless you arrange pickup.

Extra Info:

My lesson in 'divorcing price from performance'  has recently been further bolstered by having experienced few LTA products from this relatively new US based manufacturer, as the performance of this 'unassuming' preamp goes even further! Greater transparency, richer timbres, deeper soundstage, more space between instruments - totally 'unaccompanied' by any audible noise floor.

The unit is equally well known as a highly acclaimed headphone amp.  It is also a surprisingly impressive 1 Watt amplifier in its own right (often used and reviewed as such) when matched with appropriately efficient speakers.

I've been its first owner for the past 12 month. The reason for selling is that I just took delivery of its more expensive upgraded model, the MicroZOTL 3 .

Lots of enthusiastic press out there.

The example below is the excerpt from Terry London's recent article. Although this particular review is that of the bigger full size unit (the model I just purchased), he begins with quite unambiguous reference to the smaller unit I am listing here:

"Almost three years ago, I was stunned by the performance of the Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2.0 preamplifier/headphone amplifier, used as a line stage, when it significantly out-performed my reference Concert Fidelity preamplifier on all sonic parameters. The Concert Fidelity, a hand-built piece from Japan that cost $24,000, had never been surpassed by any line stage I had auditioned for over five years in my system until the MicroZOTL 2.0 with an upgraded linear external power supply retailing for less than $2,000. Needless to say, the MicroZOTL 2.0 was selected as one of Home Theater Review's 2016 products of the year."

The unit I am selling, whilst also supplied with the optional upgraded linear external power supply,  is the current, upgraded version  - in that it now hosts 3 inputs (not 2); is optioned with remote and is fitted with NOS tubes.

I've unashamedly plagiarized most of my ad fro.his unit is faultless though due to the smaller size of the Brisbane market, I've priced mine lower accordingly.

Happy to answer all relevant questions via PM.

Matt

IMG_20190326_185508.thumb.jpg.d28619cfdac614f799dd52c2c4f04f10.jpg
IMG_20190326_185516.thumb.jpg.cf65e4dea16c504fddb0117c49051a29.jpg
IMG_20190326_185528.thumb.jpg.9c7cc7792a1e56a4d9b190c35f728004.jpg

Edited by MattyW
Price drop
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, relisted. It seems that it wasn't a good pairing with the systen it was tried with. With a little further information it seems it was feeding a Cayin power amp which is less than ideal as you'd lose the sound signature of the MZ2. It really needs to feed either an OTL power amp or a solid state power amp.

Guest Muon N'

I'd be inclined to conclude that, that one guy didn't like it in his system, nothing more, nothing less.

It's a very nice bit of kit.

GLWTS

Hi all, I'm the guy who auditioned the mz2 with my Cayin. My main purpose is to use it as a preamp however maybe due to my dumb ears I couldn't hear a leaping improvement lol...

I tried it as an integrated amp with my B&W (90db/m/w) and Martin Logan (91db/m/w) and the result was stunning. Volume is pretty high in my small listening room and the sound is divine.

Then I tried it with my Senheisser HD600 and Oppo PM3 and was shocked again, especially by the soundstage and bass control.

I think for the asking price it's really a gem. More so if you have a solid state amp and looking for a tube preamp to add some tuby sounds~

Last but not least, the seller Matt is an extremely nice gentleman to deal with. Highly recommended!

GLWS!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjledme said:

Hi all, I'm the guy who auditioned the mz2 with my Cayin. My main purpose is to use it as a preamp however maybe due to my dumb ears I couldn't hear a leaping improvement lol...

I tried it as an integrated amp with my B&W (90db/m/w) and Martin Logan (91db/m/w) and the result was stunning. Volume is pretty high in my small listening room and the sound is divine.

Then I tried it with my Senheisser HD600 and Oppo PM3 and was shocked again, especially by the soundstage and bass control.

I think for the asking price it's really a gem. More so if you have a solid state amp and looking for a tube preamp to add some tuby sounds~

Last but not least, the seller Matt is an extremely nice gentleman to deal with. Highly recommended!

GLWS!

Hey thanks. I'm enjoying trying your little 2.5WPC 2A3 SET amp. Much preferring it to my 49WPC PP amp at the moment. I've made a few enquiries about 2A3 SET amps now and Eric Mcchanson does make them so I may go down that path. That said I want to see how things change iwth open baffle DIY speakers later in the year so I won't make a decision on one of those until then. That little amp is amazing with the Dayton PS220-8 full range drivers!  :) 

Absolutely... It matches well with my Sanders Magtech.
  • Like 2

Hey thanks. I'm enjoying trying your little 2.5WPC 2A3 SET amp. Much preferring it to my 49WPC PP amp at the moment. I've made a few enquiries about 2A3 SET amps now and Eric Mcchanson does make them so I may go down that path. That said I want to see how things change iwth open baffle DIY speakers later in the year so I won't make a decision on one of those until then. That little amp is amazing with the Dayton PS220-8 full range drivers!  [emoji4] 
Hi Matt I'm glad you are enjoying it lol. Eric made great tube amps and I guess his 2A3 should be better than mine. I'm curious to hear it when I'm back, and of course, your open baffle speakers lol. Cheers.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, o2so said:

Is postage an option?

If you're happy to arrange pickup with a courier (can only do on Fridays when my wife is home) then that's a possibility. I've the original two boxes so it should be safe enough.

• 2 weeks later...