An Apple Thing

Declannz

Hi guys,

Yeah, I know, I'm always asking you for stuff, but you're so nice!

Anyway, a mate of mine is a musician, producer genius guy, but a broke one. His 2008 macbook that he's been doing all his work on is about to die and he needs a replacement before it blows up. This is getting urgent now as the battery is starting to swell and burst out of the housing. Also the machine is locking up randomly, which is imdeding his music production somewhat.

I've volunteered to buy him a replacement. My max budget is about $500. Ideally I'd like a core2 macmini, one of the older ones, with a decent size hard drive, but they are kinda hard to find, so a macbook/macbook pro that still has a few years left in it would be awesome.

Anyone got anything sitting around they care to part with?

Nah, along with the battery it's having other issues. At the moment his production skills have got to a level where it's getting maxed out a lot. This machine has been totally thrashed since he got it, running at least 8 hours a day, much of that music stuff that's pretty intense. Even if it was fixed (again, it's had a new battry a couple of years ago, new CPU fan, new screen, new HDD), it's still not up to spec for what he needs now anyways. I'd rather get him something that'll see him right for the next few years, rather then try and fix his current machine and have it crap out in a few months.

A Mac mini would be ideal, since no battery to worry about, easy upgrades, external PSU and fewer heat issues.