DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

Hours just in preping the paper. The small pile is about 15 minutes worth.

Your wasting too much time using printing paper. You want to go for the pre-cut stuff on a convenient dispenser for quick unrolling like:

200px-Toilet_paper_orientation_over.jpg

and then just spay it with glug.

Edited by Nada

@Upfront
Nice work there and can see the merit in paper. Always liked the look of the Azura Horn. Should make some for your Mates [emoji14]
How many layers ?
:thumb:

I'm up to 4 layers with all the over lapping. Really its only 2 complete rounds. Will be interesing to see how it goes. I dont hold high hopes at this stage for the inner (first) layer, as i read not to use any glue. Time will tell.

@Upfront

The mrs is looking at rewallpapering some of our place. I know who I'm gonna call.

Nice work though mate. How many layers of paper do you need to do? 

As long as your wallpaper is in 200mm strips mate I'll be all over it!
Apparently 12 layers. But will see how thick it gets first.

Your wasting too much time using printing paper. You want to go for the pre-cut stuff on a convenient dispenser for quick unrolling like:

The thought has crossed my mind. Wanted at least the inner layer to look nice. So will see how it dries then think about different layers.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

I'm up to 4 layers with all the over lapping. Really its only 2 complete rounds. Will be interesing to see how it goes. I dont hold high hopes at this stage for the inner (first) layer, as i read not to use any glue. Time will tell.

Job looks like it's going well would take a few days until the pva sets.

Amazing what water based sealer will hide and fill, especially for the shed bookshelves. Cool, watching with interest.

3 hours ago, Nada said:

Good idea.

What is a good release agent for the wood glue ?

16 hours ago, Nada said:

@Upfront a great suggestion this one from Nada and a wonderful insurance policy if in the unlikely event that your speakers ever hit that elusive brown note once up and going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaky said:

@Upfront a great suggestion this one from Nada and a wonderful insurance policy if in the unlikely event that your speakers ever hit that elusive brown note once up and going. 

Gday Shaky

I think Linc is safe from the brown note from the paper horn as I don't believe that particular note (tone) can be reproduced by it as it's outside the operational bandwidth

(had experience with this one)

haha:P

Cheers

Bringing my AR93 Speakers back to life after 7 years sitting in the shed. The drivers are all up and working nicely now. Only had to replace the mids (used some Yamaha mids 8") and one tweeter (found an original AR unit locally), with the four woofer units all in good order. Fired in up yesterday with my 1020B/ 2140 Nad amp and Matra Manticore TT and sounded very nice. Have just bought some speaker grill cloth (lots) and now working on the grill socks for these beasts, I've even got the speaker stands that can with them- very wife unfriendly looking units lol

Net Pics of the beasts - will post my pics once socks finished.

Acoustic Research AR-93.jpg

Edited by Eddierukiddingvarese

16 hours ago, Upfront said:

......Wanted at least the inner layer to look nice. So will see how it dries then think about different layers.

The paper mache horns built the way your doing it look beautiful. They remind me of delicate flowers:

Inslow paper horns.jpg

Id say its definitely worth the effort your going to in order to achieve that petal look and it might also be vital for symmetrical shrinkage and resonance control.

One idea Id like to suggest for outer layers is to tear the strips into V-shapes to match the horn fare?

Im very impressed by your project and look forward to loads more pictures please :)

Edited by Nada
  • Like 1

The paper mache horns built the way your doing it look beautiful. They remind me of delicate flowers:
Inslow paper horns.jpg
Id say its definitely worth the effort your going to in order to achieve that petal look and it might also be vital for symmetrical shrinkage and resonance control.

One idea Id like to suggest for outer layers is to tear the strips into V-shapes to match the horn fare?

Im very impressed by your project and look forward to loads more pictures please [emoji4]

Thanks Nada. Your right with the V shape. Will see how it turns out after the next run. Still waiting for the first run to dry. Bloody Tassie weather!

Bringing my AR93 Speakers back to life after 7 years sitting in the shed. The drivers are all up and working nicely now. Only had to replace the mids (used some Yamaha mids 8") and one tweeter (found an original AR unit locally), with the four woofer units all in good order. Fired in up yesterday with my 1020B/ 2140 Nad amp and Matra Manticore TT and sounded very nice. Have just bought some speaker grill cloth (lots) and now working on the grill socks for these beasts, I've even got the speaker stands that can with them- very wife unfriendly looking units lol
Net Pics of the beasts - will post my pics once socks finished.

Acoustic Research AR-93.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it made. I like photos!

I had doubts how this horn would go with no glue on the inner layer (sugested on many forums) so rather than adding extra layers I removed it from the mold for a look, and in the interest of "warts and all" DIY sharing....
ecee1c580a7c9c63d7d7d8203a5a77ad.jpg
I don't see it as unrepairable. But will put this one aside for now and start fresh.

So the mold has been cleaned, repolished and soap added again as the release agent.... take 2!
  • Like 1

Looks ok to me, all you really to do is mix a weak mix of PVA and water which will soak and soften those loose strips and smooth them down. I'm sure they will settle down nicely.

Good work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Upfront said:

813638500861d31c10b93a2da7e95e31.jpg4dd6f32d7258979f77143ba98b6f83c5.jpg
Much better second time around. Neater. Just hope it comes off the plug!

What kind of soap did you apply as a release agent and how thick?

I read the Insound page and petroleum grease was recommended but would stain the paper.

I wonder how a generous layer of car wax would work?

Otherwise glad wrap smoothed down longitudinally and twisted at the top into a handle would allow the horn to be pulled off neatly maybe ?

What kind of soap did you apply as a release agent and how thick?
I read the Insound page and petroleum grease was recommended but would stain the paper.
I wonder how a generous layer of car wax would work?
Otherwise glad wrap smoothed down longitudinally and twisted at the top into a handle would allow the horn to be pulled off neatly maybe ?

I used a generous amount of washing up liquid. Enough so the entire surface was covered but not enough to leave streaks on the surface. Hopefully enough. The mold was highly polished before the soap was applied. I used a heavy cut and polish till the surface was immaculate then a pure polishing compound. I read about the vaseline but didnt want the paper stained. Would have been much easier to remove if i had done though.

9 minutes ago, Upfront said:

I used a generous amount of washing up liquid. Enough so the entire surface was covered but not enough to leave streaks on the surface. Hopefully enough. The mold was highly polished before the soap was applied. I used a heavy cut and polish till the surface was immaculate then a pure polishing compound. I read about the vaseline but didnt want the paper stained. Would have been much easier to remove if i had done though.

Good work. Should release fine despite the paper shrinking onto the mold as it dries.

Otherwise what do you think of the glad wrap idea on top of polish for the next run so theres a way of pulling the horn off from the top from the inside?

Good work. Should release fine despite the paper shrinking onto the mold as it dries.
Otherwise what do you think of the glad wrap idea on top of polish for the next run so theres a way of pulling the horn off from the top from the inside?

Hoping so. I used more dish soap than last time hoping for less damage to the outer.
Not sure about the glad wrap. I tried to use it for the original plug with no success. Its much less pliable than i remember. I'm sure it could be done though. Long, thin triangles starting at the top. Would be a slow process. If it worked it would be well worth it.

35 minutes ago, Upfront said:

......Not sure about the glad wrap. I tried to use it for the original plug with no success....

Scrap that glad wrap idea then. I didn't realise you had tried it unsuccessfully.

For my next idea how about next time your making a new  mold eg for a huge bass horn how about casting so the upper 1/3 of the mold pulls out of the lower mold with the horn attached?