Guest Terminate
2 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Around that I'd say

2 hours ago, Spizz said:

N5 $8,999

N7 $11,999

N9 $25,999 

Z1 $34,995 (Rio)

Not going to spend more than double on the N9 and not get a Laser light source, so depending on both the street price and reviews, will go for the N7 and then in a few years when JVC release a N9 with laser at a similar price point or lower, go for that.

Wish the Aussie dollar was higher.

Will still await the final pricing from JVC Australia over the coming weeks as things may change.

9k for the n5 will count me out. Can get the 5900 for 4k and 7900 for 6k so I am now looking fwd to what the new reduced price of the 7900 is.  A 7900 with mypanasonic ub420 with tone mapping will be just as good as the N5 for my smallish dedicated theatre. 

Look fwd to getting in on oztheatre group buy ?

53 minutes ago, Terminate said:

9k for the n5 will count me out. Can get the 5900 for 4k and 7900 for 6k so I am now looking fwd to what the new reduced price of the 7900 is.  A 7900 with mypanasonic ub420 with tone mapping will be just as good as the N5 for my smallish dedicated theatre. 

given the expected pricing of the n5, suspect the 7900 will continue in the pricing it is now as is happening in the us with new rrp just reflection the street price been going for. why on earth would they reduce it ? 

4 minutes ago, franin said:

I have the 5900 and have to admit it's throws a bloody good picture on my Stewart Studiotek G3 in my small theatre room as well

theyre awesome bang for buck ! for what they do :) 

3 minutes ago, :) al said:

theyre awesome bang for buck ! for what they do :) 

I've only just bought it I've got my wife saying WTH are you upgrading the projector?? I have to explain native  4k vs E-shift she's not happy lol

Edited by franin
  • Haha 1

Without de-railing, (and a lot of speculation if we're talking about yet to be officially released/available units), but with the zoom funtions and light output on units these days and in particular of what we can expect from the specs we're seeing the new JVC's, how much of a hinderence (not mathematically, but realistically) is it to NOT have an anamorphic lense of some sort for those of us using Anamorphic screens?

Currently have a 2.35:1 130" Stweart Studiotek G3, but this will be my first time owning a projector.

Where it ties into the relevance of this thread (in particular JVC discussion) would be, would something like an N5 in combintation with something like a Prismasonic Lense, be better or worse than an N7 on its own? (this is just as an example)

N7 would be my absolute most upper spend limit.

Edited by Mr Diamond

I dont understand why they wont release the updated price on the x7900 until 2019!!!(or can it altogether).

USA has for both models, why make us suffer !!!

I want to know the updated price of the X so i can determine if worth or not going to the N series.... bloody hell. 

Sorry for multiple posts, seems i cant delete them!

Edited by mazman1503559902

9 hours ago, Mr Diamond said:

Without de-railing, (and a lot of speculation if we're talking about yet to be officially released/available units), but with the zoom funtions and light output on units these days and in particular of what we can expect from the specs we're seeing the new JVC's, how much of a hinderence (not mathematically, but realistically) is it to NOT have an anamorphic lense of some sort for those of us using Anamorphic screens?

Currently have a 2.35:1 130" Stweart Studiotek G3, but this will be my first time owning a projector.

I dont run a lens, and guys that do like @Quark can add here. but with HDR light output is king and unless like me running a relatively small screen, if running larger and especiaslly scope and zooming you tend to be on the outer for output. because a 130" scope screen is really a 140" where you zoom the bars out. the lens basically gives some of that back but no idea how effectively that works with uhd.

all that said I helped here setup a 130" zooming with a x7000 and to good result. so still possible...

the problem is light output on projectors has gone up over years and lenses I dont think have got any cheaper. however light output requirements have also jumped significantly with HDR so not sure if that means a lens resurgence is happening. i know guys like craig peer on avs use a lens. 

also as i mentioned earlier, does the n5 come with the dual iris. this is a big deal ! its something miss out on the 5900 as well hope, its not omitted on the n5 ? it would be worth in my mind getting the x7900 or n7 just for that :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terminate said:

personally thinking about it little more, I am not sure why you are looking at the 5900 at all, it doesnt get the better light engine the x7000-x7500-x7900 got and doesnt get their dual iris, full p3 coverage, THX rating (for what ever thats worth THX for those not getting a calibration straight up, out of box is pretty good ! ) etc. and thats without talking contrast, light output etc. 

the 7 series were the pick, an suspect wiht this new gen will be too, but its just seems to have got SO expensive !

i think you are right too 7900 (or earlier 7500 or 7000)with tone mapping from the player would be a pretty good option ! 

for those who cant pony upto 7900 dont disregard the older 7500 or 7000 either, we had work arounds for anything the 7900 offered which was minimal in my opinion over previous gen. my x7000 is set and forget and i dont twiddle it or anything. with preset i set up seamless switch blu-ray to UHD or fta :) I  for instance would see a back wards from x7000 to 5900 :)

14 hours ago, Spizz said:

N5 $8,999

N7 $11,999

N9 $25,999 

Z1 $34,995 (Rio)

Not going to spend more than double on the N9 and not get a Laser light source, so depending on both the street price and reviews, will go for the N7 and then in a few years when JVC release a N9 with laser at a similar price point or lower, go for that.

Wish the Aussie dollar was higher.

Will still await the final pricing from JVC Australia over the coming weeks as things may change.

These prices are pretty much what I'm expecting JVC Aus to come out with. I was hoping we'd get the official prices yesterday so I could order, but c'est la vie, a few more days won't hurt.

I could get the NX9, but I'd rather spend the price differential between it and the N7 on upgrading my audio gear (another power amp, some new speakers, Atmos). Based on the tech specs I just can't see that the NX9, at more than twice the price, will be twice as good as the N7!

Despite the concerns about the lower on/off native contrast in the new JVC 4K projectors compared to the JVC e-shift projectors (and yes I know contrast and brightness are more important than resolution in projectors) even at probably twice the price I'd rather get the N7 over the X7900.  Reportedly the ANSI contrast is better in the new JVC 4K projectors than the e-shift models, and I just can't bring myself to go faux K.

Anyhow I'm still running a 12 year old single chip DLP Sharpvision XVZ21000 which specs wise supposedly has 1000 ANSI lumens and a contrast ratio of 12,000:1, plus I suffer badly from the rainbow effect when watching single chip DLP projectors, so any of these new 4K JVC projectors (and even the X7900) will look spectacular in my home theatre! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, franin said:

Dual iris!! what is the advantage of the dual iris Al ? I come from an X35 to a 5900 and I've never heard of the Dual iris on a projector. It been awhile

probably one of the best gains I saw going from the x35 to the x7000. the dual iris lets you set your output and then dynamically engages the 2nd iris to plumb the depths. things like fade to blacks ands such. the x7000 is quite a step up in contrast anyways but was mind blowing the step x35 to x7000 with dual iris I found.

I know they never demoed the dual iris at the shows the new projectors were at, but leaves me even more curious what they have done with it for this gen.

ive asked a couple of times re n5 and whether it comes with dual iris or not. if it doesn't that would be one reason I wouldnt get it quite frankly :) 

4 minutes ago, :) al said:

probably one of the best gains I saw going from the x35 to the x7000. the dual iris lets you set your output and then dynamically engages the 2nd iris to plumb the depths. things like fade to blacks ands such. the x7000 is quite a step up in contrast anyways but was mind blowing the step x35 to x7000 with dual iris I found.

I know they never demoed the dual iris at the shows the new projectors were at, but leaves me even more curious what they have done with it for this gen.

ive asked a couple of times re n5 and whether it comes with dual iris or not. if it doesn't that would be one reason I wouldnt get it quite frankly :) 

Thanks Al, wish I knew that before I spent money on the x5900. Though by saying that the X5900 still does a damn good job for its price, I think the x5900 has a Di which does an all right job. 

Edited by franin

2 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

These prices are pretty much what I'm expecting JVC Aus to come out with. I was hoping we'd get the official prices yesterday so I could order, but c'est la vie, a few more days won't hurt.

I could get the NX9, but I'd rather spend the price differential between it and the N7 on upgrading my audio gear (another power amp, some new speakers, Atmos). Based on the tech specs I just can't see that the NX9, at more than twice the price, will be twice as good as the N7!

it is a big jump up ! I'd get the atmos its one of THE best thijngs did in my room for that full room experience ! something will enjoy with EVERYTHING ! :D

3 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Despite the concerns about the lower on/off native contrast in the new JVC 4K projectors compared to the JVC e-shift projectors (and yes I know contrast and brightness are more important than resolution in projectors) even at probably twice the price I'd rather get the N7 over the X7900.  Reportedly the ANSI contrast is better in the new JVC 4K projectors than the e-shift models, and I just can't bring myself to go faux K.

I can see the 7900 to n7, I just cant see step back wards past that ! I share concerns with contrast .... its something get used to and its would be hard to go back. i just hope to help too the ansi is that the much higher to bring back some gains. faux isnt what people make out. its still 3-3.5k and projectors like 7900 or previous 7500 7000 are capable to stunning end result (unless havent set them up or something ! ) 

5 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Anyhow I'm still running a 12 year old single chip DLP Sharpvision XVZ21000 which specs wise supposedly has 1000 ANSI lumens and a contrast ratio of 12,000:1, plus I suffer badly from the rainbow effect when watching single chip DLP projectors, so any of these new 4K JVC projectors (and even the X7900) will look spectacular in my home theatre! :)

I know the sharps, my cousin in sydney had one up until recently he had been enjoying for years ! it does a beautiful job picture wise but I think you would be surprised even with a 5900 ! 

I know what you mean re DLPs as much as love them, and I was so dearly wanting to get one in early days till realised I see rainbows .... something cant get past even with the newer gen machines.... I always have hope when start watching thinking newer gen less chance until I see a rainbow and thats it :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, franin said:

Thanks Al, wish I knew that before I spent money on the x5900. Though by saying that the X5900 still does a damn good job for its price,

its great for the money no question ! 

4 minutes ago, :) al said:

@Javs maybe can answer do you know if the N5 has the dual iris ? or is it really the x5900 with the 4k native ? 

The N5 does not have a dual iris.

Thats the reason the N7 is 80k:1.

The Dual iris is what gives it all that extra contrast, it also serves a purpose with the iris wide open since there is still an aperture there vs not, it stops extra stray light inside the light engine from bouncing around inside the lens.

Worth every penny to upgrade to a machine that has one IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, :) al said:

yep will take ~ 22kg fortunately :D 

That's the specs on the current model, but I think this is a new model from yours and mine?  I looked for my manual to confirm specs but don't have it.  Are you able to confirm a loading capacity of 50 lbs for yours?

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

The N5 does not have a dual iris.

Thats the reason the N7 is 80k:1.

ah i see,  thanks for confirming.

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

The Dual iris is what gives it all that extra contrast, it also serves a purpose with the iris wide open since there is still an aperture there vs not, it stops extra stray light inside the light engine from bouncing around inside the lens.

Worth every penny to upgrade to a machine that has one IMO.

absolutely agree on that one !!

11 hours ago, franin said:

I've only just bought it I've got my wife saying WTH are you upgrading the projector?? I have to explain native  4k vs E-shift she's not happy lol

That's alright, the first blow is the hardest.  Keep chipping away, it gets easier...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

That's the specs on the current model, but I think this is a new model from yours and mine?  I looked for my manual to confirm specs but don't have it.  Are you able to confirm a loading capacity of 50 lbs for yours?

absolutely no question. mine and yours are still the same and its still 50lbs capacity :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

it is a big jump up ! I'd get the atmos its one of THE best thijngs did in my room for that full room experience ! something will enjoy with EVERYTHING ! :D

I can see the 7900 to n7, I just cant see step back wards past that ! I share concerns with contrast .... its something get used to and its would be hard to go back. i just hope to help too the ansi is that the much higher to bring back some gains. faux isnt what people make out. its still 3-3.5k and projectors like 7900 or previous 7500 7000 are capable to stunning end result (unless havent set them up or something ! ) 

I know the sharps, my cousin in sydney had one up until recently he had been enjoying for years ! it does a beautiful job picture wise but I think you would be surprised even with a 5900 ! 

I know what you mean re DLPs as much as love them, and I was so dearly wanting to get one in early days till realised I see rainbows .... something cant get past even with the newer gen machines.... I always have hope when start watching thinking newer gen less chance until I see a rainbow and thats it :D 

Glad to hear Atmos is worth it!

I mostly built my current home theatre back in 2006/2007, when I moved into my new house (which we built), and planned to upgrade it slowly with a better AV processor, speakers etc to keep up with the tech curve , but lack of funds initially bit hard (paying a new mortgage etc.), then I got divorced about 6 years ago and got financially screwed by the ex.

I'm only now getting back on my feet financially and I'm looking at updating everything in the theatre. I've swapped out my old Pioneer BDP-LX70 blu-ray player to an Oppo BDP-203 (bought it when I heard Oppo were stopping making blu-ray players), and the absolutely ancient Rotel RSP-1066 processor I had for an AudioControl Maestro M5 (the difference is remarkable!).

Next is the projector - hence the N7, and some Atmos speakers (looking at some B&W CCM684s) in the ceiling to bring everything up to 5.1.4 (it seemed pointless to change the old Nordost Wyrewizard HDMI cable I have in the ceiling to an optic fibre 18Gbps HDMI cable and not install some speaker cable at the same time!). My current power amp is an Elektra Theatre 7 channel, so I need a couple of extra channels of amplification - I'm looking at an Elektra Reference/HD2 2 channel amp to drive my front left and rights.

Next year after I recover from that looking at changing the fronts, centre and sub :)  Home theatre is a disease lol 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Yep, a great buy that one.  I bought mine a few years ago and it will remain for many years to come.  I just hope I screwed that noggin in properly...   :lol:

Quick question with the Peerless PRG mount.  I have seen photos that show it has 3 arms, and photos that show it has 4 attachment arms.  Which is it?  And is 3 enough to hold a JVC projector since the JVC has 4 attachment points?

13 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Quick question with the Peerless PRG mount.  I have seen photos that show it has 3 arms, and photos that show it has 4 attachment arms.  Which is it?  And is 3 enough to hold a JVC projector since the JVC has 4 attachment points?

4 arms. just sit the projector upside down on the couch and unscrew the feet. position the mount on top central to the projector and then extend and line up the arms and lock them up in position. 

you will need to buy some m5 x 25mm bolts from bunnings to replace the screw feet. just take one of the feet to bunnings, and check and make sure to be sure ! 

and the beauty is jvc have kept the feet spacing the same for years. my last projector to current one was a straight swap, old one off and new one in, had swapped in minutes and didnt need to adjust a thing on the mount !  :D 

ps heres a shot of the mount showing its arms, this one back from my epson days .... the arms extend out to take the JVCs. the arm assembly is on a sled...that you slide into the mount once have secured. and then you lock that in place so cant move.... 

39152139711_e475b3f866_b.jpg

• Like 3