Satori 2018

jkn

On 10/06/2018 at 9:13 AM, davewantsmoore said:

Ah.  I wondered if that was concrete in the pics.    Heavy.

Yes right just checked the weight of the base box without the outer ply 67kg!!

st_06.jpg

st_05.jpg

st_07.jpg

New speakers look great, the whole setup looks impressive, does the 8" midbass on top of the 2 x 18" get used in this setup or are they just being stored there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2018 at 6:47 AM, jkn said:

I have few weeks before the other ply arrives so thought to do some testing 

How is the testing going, interested to hear how the MR16P is going. What upper frequency are you crossing at? Did you consider the MR13P? If so any comments on your decision to go for the larger mid instead?

On 18/06/2018 at 8:59 AM, davewantsmoore said:

What do you have in between each box?  (it looks like something)

I'm using 6mm x 40mm round rubber they call it (antislip) or whatever just cheap stuff it works ok

• Like 1

On 18/06/2018 at 9:15 AM, lusk said:

New speakers look great, the whole setup looks impressive, does the 8" midbass on top of the 2 x 18" get used in this setup or are they just being stored there?

The 8" is there just for storage running out of room to store things BTW only the bottom 18 bass cab is in use. I did not find using both per side to be beneficial on the contrary 1 per side sound better. I did end up changing the amp for the bass 18 from 250 > 1250 and that improved a lot.

Edited by jkn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mikes875 said:

How is the testing going, interested to hear how the MR16P is going. What upper frequency are you crossing at? Did you consider the MR13P? If so any comments on your decision to go for the larger mid instead?

Hi Mikes875

Yes, have been playing with the speakers for a week or so >so far so good I'm pleased with the bass drivers very good the midrange is also very good I mean very good the tweeter still working on it for some reasons it measures flat from 30.k> 2.8k then drops around 4-5db!! then flat again to 900HZ. The Midrange goes from 200>11000  so really flexible so far I have been using crossovers at 80Hz/24s>300Hz/54s>2800Hz/96s anyway the sound quality is superb I'm really pleased.I will post some graphs tomorrow for you to have a look      

22 minutes ago, jkn said:

Hi Mikes875

Yes, have been playing with the speakers for a week or so >so far so good I'm pleased with the bass drivers very good the midrange is also very good I mean very good the tweeter still working on it for some reasons it measures flat from 30.k> 2.8k then drops around 4-5db!! then flat again to 900HZ. The Midrange goes from 200>11000  so really flexible so far I have been using crossovers at 80Hz/24s>300Hz/54s>2800Hz/96s anyway the sound quality is superb I'm really pleased.I will post some graphs tomorrow for you to have a look      

That could be baffle diffraction. What does a close micing (Mike ing) of the tweeter show up?

Hi Mikes875

Glad to hear it is working out well for you. 2.8k is probably a good crossover point anyway so shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Am thinking about my next build and think I will go with the MW19 and either the MR13 or MR16. Either will be fine I think.

Look forward to how you progress. I am afraid my current build has been in the “test” phase for a while now. Motivation on the finishing drops off once the listening begins...

8 minutes ago, niss_man said:

That could be baffle diffraction. What does a close micing (Mike ing) of the tweeter show up?

yes and no ....here is a measurement of the tweeter on axis at o.6m .

sat_tweter_fr.jpg

sat_tweter.jpg

some more measurements from the same distance

seas_mill.jpg

seas_mill_fr.jpg

tweter_scan.jpg

tweter_scan_fr.jpg

seas_cresen.jpg

seas_cresen_fr.jpg

11 minutes ago, mikes875 said:

Glad to hear it is working out well for you. 2.8k is probably a good crossover point anyway so shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Am thinking about my next build and think I will go with the MW19 and either the MR13 or MR16. Either will be fine I think.

Look forward to how you progress. I am afraid my current build has been in the “test” phase for a while now. Motivation on the finishing drops off once the listening begins...

2.8 works fine you are right >but I was thinking to try them somewhere around 1.6 after looking at their graphs anyway all good it is a really good sounding tweeter.

They are all good drivers which you are intending to use I don't think you can go wrong either way 

I do have ply coming soon so hoping to get it all done and enjoy the music for a change!!  

2 minutes ago, niss_man said:

Try the measurements at 1-2mm away from the dome. 600mm is too far.

I can get really good measurements from close mike but really unusable for me when I do calibration filters. I do prefer measurements taking in church 3mx3m from the speaker > tweeter on axis and measured the whole 3 way. There is more to it  > some people use close measurements using DEQX and with a good result, as there are no issues with first reflection point but I still prefer the other way  

10 hours ago, jkn said:

but I still prefer the other way  

+1

When close mic measurements are used, they do not include the cabinet diffraction.....  so while they are very useful, they must be corrected before they can be used to model EQ/crossover from.

10 hours ago, niss_man said:

Try the measurements at 1-2mm away from the dome

Yes, it would be interesting to see if the same huge step in the response is there just above 2khz.

11 hours ago, jkn said:

measurement

Are you able to control the Y scale on your charts?   Some of these charts show huge peak/dip in response, but are hard to see.  eg. the T25CF goes down ~10dB and then back up ~10dB within one octave  (!!!!)

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Are you able to control the Y scale on your charts?   Some of these charts show huge peak/dip in response, but are hard to see.  eg. the T25CF goes down ~10dB and then back up ~10dB within one octave  (!!!!)

Yes, I can > all the tweeters (except satori) are measured at the same distance/volume /environment and enclosure I think they are all good except T25 it has a nasty dip from 6-9k +3 -7db!! nevertheless, it was my favorite sounding tweeter from the lot, here is a close  measurement   for satori at 60mm will try the 2-4mm distance lattersat_tweterclose.jpg     

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lusk said:

Could the gaps in the enclosure between mids and tweeter be the cause of the step you see in the response?

Not sure.

Rec.cros. is 2.5k so any "close" or "distance" measurement is within the limit. I have them cross and running all day today at 900hz the tweeter still sounding good without any stress, however, I do prefer to cross it higher it was just a test sort to speak  so back to 2.8 and again  have to say the system sounding good very happy with the drivers J