Sony VPL-VW760ES Projector

I tried  3D for the first time ever  at my place.  I used Sony 3d glasses and the 3D preset setting  on the projector  - both my wife and I were  amazed at the experience.     Will probably look at tweaks down the track  but at the moment it all seems great. 

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

I have to say the Oppo 203 produces an amazing pic on the VPL760es. I have the Oppo and the Panny and with all the talk on the Panny I was suprised when I did my own testing between the two how well the Oppo handled itself.

• Like 2

I have to say the Oppo 203 produces an amazing pic on the VPL760es. I have the Oppo and the Panny and with all the talk on the Panny I was suprised when I did my own testing between the two how well the Oppo handled itself.

Which panny do you have?
I was looking at getting one to replace my OPPO 103

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s all going in. Walls and parts of ceilings are down, cables are being pulled, the previous home owners really did pre-install draw wires ready for their plans for a home theatre, and all is going great so far :) 

I’d forgotten how huge the Sony is in real life... The dog hates the noises, the cat hates not being allowed in the room, and the husband hates the dog and cat complaining. I’m very popular today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

The projector has now been in for over a month, and had a good 100 or so hours on it, and I had Tony from Clarity ( @Rec. 709)  in to calibrate the projector. I think it's fair to say the image was a little purple before calibration... It was bizarrely compelling watching the adjustments turn purple into grey. It wasn't obviously noticeable in day to day content, but the end result looked massively better with so much more pop across all the colours so it was noticeable even if I hadn't noticed, if you see what I mean? 

1998267913_ScreenShot2019-01-10at8_14_09am.thumb.png.6c46063ab618f05f0709d394f39a9f1c.png

1649145319_ScreenShot2019-01-10at8_14_48am.thumb.png.0e409bb3c273c41b9f2ee85f2de3ef20.png

1452664064_ScreenShot2019-01-10at8_19_11am.thumb.png.5d5259de34ef036414bfca9e0eef99f8.png

What I think is particularly interesting is that the one thing that these projectors routinely get hammered for all over the place, gamma tracking, actually wasn't that bad! Or at least nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe it would be from reports I'd read in various places. 

2016943205_ScreenShot2019-01-10at8_19_23am.png.7e15044a03b76d7d7264572e3e92958e.png

The end result is stunning. I've got separate calibrations for HD and DCI-P3/HDR and it has made a huge difference to what was already a fantastic image. Last night was a guilty pleasure of watching the new 4K of Superman - the opening 15 minutes or so is a very hard watch on anything with everything being so dark except for their glowing clothes, I'm convinced it's mastered that way just to prove it has HDR, it's a real torture test - followed by the blu ray of Hellboy. Bliss! 

• Like 6

Definitely makes a difference, and definitely worth the money, and let's face it that if you're spending $23K RRP on a projector + installation etc the cost of a calibration is not a significant extra in the grand scheme of things. And why would you spend that much on a projector and not try and get the best out of it? 

• Like 2

On 21/01/2019 at 12:32 PM, kitschcamp said:

Just had a response from Sony support in Australia, with a link to download the firmware in Australia for the 760ES. I've just done a unix cmp and cksum on both the ANZ file and the US file, and they are identical. 

Do you know if  you lose the calibration settings when you do the firmware upgrade?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sony has now released new firmware for the 760/885 ES projectors.   This one is pretty major in a couple of ways. It enables the iris on the 760ES to allow for dual contrast control. So in addition to the enhanced dynamically controlled laser output that was  provided in a recent update, the iris is now enabled and can also be adjusted independently and dynamically.  

In addition, HDR recognition, adjustment  and support has been improved. According to Sony  black tones have been improved as well.   Sony have also added their digital focus optimizer which is similar to what camera manufacturers install on digital cameras  to digitally compensate  where necessary ( eg for vignetting) for the specific lens in use.  

A few have tried  the new firmware on AVS, I'd be interested in feedback from Aussie owners too.

• Like 3

Well - contrast with dynamic laser and iris working together is  amazing.   Sony have really done a great job of programming  the interaction between  the two.  I was not a big fan of dynamic iris previously due to the visible pumping of light as the iris opened and closed,  but so far this hasn't been an issue.  

Perceived light output has increased too.   One possible explanation is that Sony previously had the 760ES iris fixed in a  stepped down position to  assist contrast, but we would need to measure to confirm.  In any event, SDR and HDR imagery has improved even further.

I was very happy with the PJ out of the box and now with 2 significant updates, each one adding noticeable improvements to contrast and other aspects of picture quality, I am  impressed with Sony's commitment  to their customers.  

• Like 2

On 05/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, Tasso said:

Well - contrast with dynamic laser and iris working together is  amazing.   Sony have really done a great job of programming  the interaction between  the two.  I was not a big fan of dynamic iris previously due to the visible pumping of light as the iris opened and closed,  but so far this hasn't been an issue.  

Perceived light output has increased too.   One possible explanation is that Sony previously had the 760ES iris fixed in a  stepped down position to  assist contrast, but we would need to measure to confirm.  In any event, SDR and HDR imagery has improved even further.

I was very happy with the PJ out of the box and now with 2 significant updates, each one adding noticeable improvements to contrast and other aspects of picture quality, I am  impressed with Sony's commitment  to their customers.  

Good work Tasso. Sounds like some good improvements there. I was going to post the link but you already have it.

Direct link here anyway https://pro.sony/en_AU/product-resources/software-firmware/vpl-vw760es-firmware-update-8101

cheers!

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, oztheatre said:

Good work Tasso. Sounds like some good improvements there. I was going to post the link but you already have it.

Direct link here anyway https://pro.sony/en_AU/product-resources/software-firmware/vpl-vw760es-firmware-update-8101

cheers!

I think that is the wrong link. Try

https://pro.sony/en_AU/product-resources/software-firmware/vpl-vw760es-firmware-update-8102

It is amazing they added it. I remember when it came out someone on AVS posted a video showing it had the iris, just disabled. And now they have enabled it!

I wonder why they haven't added manual iris limiting though, like you can do on the 570/550/350 etc?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2020 at 8:06 AM, Mobe1969 said:

I think that is the wrong link. Try

https://pro.sony/en_AU/product-resources/software-firmware/vpl-vw760es-firmware-update-8102

It is amazing they added it. I remember when it came out someone on AVS posted a video showing it had the iris, just disabled. And now they have enabled it!

I wonder why they haven't added manual iris limiting though, like you can do on the 570/550/350 etc?

I suspect that there are  quite complex algorithms linking the Dynamic laser dimming to the iris movement . The other models  just have fixed output light  so the iris is the only light modulating feature.

• 3 weeks later...

16 hours ago, thomaco said:

I've been debating getting the 760ex to replace my current projector. The new firmware sounds interesting.

Apparent;y they improved the gamma curves for HDR also so it has a good 1000 nit target one (HDR Reference I think) which works very well

• Like 1