JVC X3 or Epson 9100W

X3 is really going back ! Way too far back There were issues with it. I had same series Epson they were pretty decent. if can find a jvc x35 I’d switch to that but  I wouldn’t touch any earlier model. 

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

X3 is really going back ! Way too far back There were issues with it. I had same series Epson they were pretty decent. if can find a jvc x35 I’d switch to that but  I wouldn’t touch any earlier model. 

Even for $500?

cant see why you need to be told to buy or not.. did you compare it to yours? if you like it more then buy it and sell the epson.. if you dont like it more why bother.  only 2 simple choices really :-)

wait.. you could buy it for $500 and try to sell it for more and make a profit..

14 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

cant see why you need to be told to buy or not.. did you compare it to yours? if you like it more then buy it and sell the epson.. if you dont like it more why bother.  only 2 simple choices really :-)

wait.. you could buy it for $500 and try to sell it for more and make a profit..

Re-selling is always a option but this is mainly driven by potentially getting a better image that i am getting currently. 

Not sure about hours on the bulb etc, so will check it out to see condition etc 

The X3 was the last of the problematic JVCs. Every single one had a reversed capacitor due to a design error - these eventually caused many issues and were never acknowledged by JVC - they only fixed the ones that died under warranty. The light output from original lamps dropped like a stone and took a couple of revisions to sort out - again JVC stonewalled as much as possible. The X35s onwards were when JVC finally got their act together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Had a look at it, bulb had blown.

have taken a risk and bought for $350 and will get a new bulb to see how it goes. 

Hope all works out for you.

It's worth getting the reversed capacitor sorted. See post #10083 and onwards here for some detail.

Reality check gentelmen.

The "reversed capacitor" is on the front remote control sensor board, its simple, easy and very cheap to fix. All that is normally required is to un solder it and solder it back on the other way around. Simples.

The symptoms of the reversed capacitor issue are an un responsive or non functional front remote sensor (next to the lens).  There is another sensor on the back of the projector which should still work.

In some cases the sensor fault can crash - lock up the projector due to spurious input requiring the projector to be powered off to recover. So if that happens more then very rearely check the polarity of the capacitor.

The X3 performs just as well as the X30 and X35 and has greater native contrast then the X500 so its way in front of an LCD projector for contrast and fill factor, its just down on brightness compared to the later models, which is not an issue unless you have a very large screen.

The X3 also has a power operated lens cap that was dropped from later base models.

So, picking up an X3, even with a dud lamp, for a few hundred dollars is a dead set bargain.

• 1 year later...