Home Cinema Recliners

Anyone have a personal recommendation for a compact three seated recliner with armrest between each seat? Something like this:

https://www.desiredliving.com.au/sofas/leather-3-2-1-seater/leicester-leather-sofa-lounge-set

So around 2.5m wide, electric motion. 

That Allison one above looks good but I'm not flying south to try it so would have to buy online unseen. I'm in Brisbane.

I'd honestly prefer fabric too.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand recommendations or suggestions. Thanks. 

Edited by Mobe1969

• Administrator

I went down this rabbit hole recently.

Ultimately I ended up settling on RowOne which is relatively new to AU. It was actually this article that made me realise I needed to replace my manual action, ageing chairs. https://stereo.net.au/news/watch-in-comfort-with-rowone

Once I started looking at all the options I actually ended up back at RowOne. I haven't actually pulled the trigger yet, but will do so in the new year.

• Like 1

I've been doing some more digging and there is a place nearish to me (Electronic Living) that does RowOne, Elite, and Sunshine Coast. The Elite ones look fine, as do the Rowones. Elite US put me on to them. I've contacted them and am waiting to hear back. I like the ones that have an adjustable headrest height. I'm not sure the sunshine ones do, but at least some of the Elites do, and I think probably the RowOne.

Any idea on a price? Have you had any quotes? I get nervous when these things are modular so obviously fixed known costs per bit, but they give a "contact us"...

• Administrator

The reason RowOne appealed to me is they came in cheaper than all the options that I went and viewed at Harvey Norman (which has a pretty good range on display in Melbourne). Yet they offered the same or more features.

This might give you an idea: https://www.lifestylestore.com.au/products/for-your-home/home-theatre-systems/cinema-seating.html?manufacturer=1592

• Like 1

When we were looking IMG were are the only ones that combine a decent comfort and feature set with a design that doesn't look like it's designed for Kath & Kym's lounge room. They are not cheap but not crazy price either. From memory the sale price is around $1900 per seat with premium leather and fully powered.

Crown and Divani are the most commonly available, we went the crown with adjustable angle of the headrest. We have 2 rows of 3 in a straight configuration. If I have read the chart correctly the straight arms (we have arm M that has a little shelf at the front and drink holders hidden until the arm is flicked into the back position) will be 245cm wide. Our room is 4m wide and we can easily walk around either side of it.

https://imgcomfort.com/Userfiles/Upload/files/Modules/Products/Product/56_MOTION-CROWN-TECHNICAL-SHEET(1).pdf

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hmm, thanks. They look good too. That is a good width, about what I'm looking for for a 3 seater. My room is only 3.4m wide, so a tighter fit, but not like a heavy traffic path.

You will find the vast majority will be too wide for your needs, and like a car seat, you don't want something overly plush or you'll be tossing and turning all thru the movies. Our only annoyance with the IMG is they don't make them in non reclining models, so we had to buy powered ones for our back row and not connect the power supplies, as they isn't enough walk room between rows to fully recline and there is a sub nestled snuggly behind 1 too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm finding now some that would give me a nice 3 seater with armrests at about 2500mm which would be ideal. Those Devlin ones I may check out on the weekend. 2900 is getting a bit too wide, but do-able. Devlin have two nice compact ones.

But you look at regular motorised couches like from furniture stores and all of those that have console options are just way too wide. I have a great couch upstairs from Plush, with a consle, but not being an enormous body size, there is way too much room either side of me. Sort of like I can only use one arm rest or the other...

Just from the photos I'd be wary of the quality of the leather in those Devlin ones. Make sure you DO NOT buy a bonded leather, if it is leather you want. Bonded will crack and peal over time, it is a leather base with a PU coating/surface. IMG are pretty much made to order with 12 week wait but you can also get Warrick materials. I highly recommend Warrick Macro Suede if it will suit your decor. Unfortunately there is no black in it, or wasn't when we looked into it. Doesn't get sticky when humid or cold in winter and wears fantastically. We have a 15 year old Raisin coloured (dark grey/brown with hint of purple) Macro Suede Chaise Lounge from Dare (when they made good stuff) which still looks basically new despite 2 kids, 2 dogs and a recently departed cat. We bought some footstools which were a close match from Freedom Furniture about 5 years ago and they look twice as old as the couch despite having a 10% of the use.

EDIT: Warwick now do a black Macrosuede... bastards... https://www.warwick.co.nz/shop/Commercial/MACROSUEDE.html

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

Yeah that is the other issue - I only want fabric. Thanks for the tip on the Warwick one. Our current couch is actually Warwick (I didn't realise - I just looked up the color we got Macrosoft Ecru and it lead to Warwick), and that is good. The Macrosoft Raven I thought was darkish.

2 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah that is the other issue - I only want fabric. Thanks for the tip on the Warwick one. Our current couch is actually Warwick (I didn't realise - I just looked up the color we got Macrosoft Ecru and it lead to Warwick), and that is good. The Macrosoft Raven I thought was darkish.

The Macrosuede is a commercially rated fabric and basically does not stain, just wipe it with a damp cloth. We also get it steam cleaned occasionally when getting our carpets done as 1 of our dogs constantly licks her paws. It's indestructible. It's still very comfortable and stands up to day to day wear as it is in our living room. Macrosoft is probably a cheaper domestic version in the same vain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blybo said:

The Macrosuede is a commercially rated fabric and basically does not stain, just wipe it with a damp cloth. We also get it steam cleaned occasionally when getting our carpets done as 1 of our dogs constantly licks her paws. It's indestructible. It's still very comfortable and stands up to day to day wear as it is in our living room. Macrosoft is probably a cheaper domestic version in the same vain.

Ah thanks for the info. I'll try that. They have a Coal and a Black in that range, looking at their site. https://www.warwick.co.nz/site/warwick/files/Shade Cards/Shade Card - Macrosuede.pdf

14 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Well, I checked out the Devlin ones on the weekend. I ended up going with the HT Nova, with the Warwick suede. It was very comfortable with nice head support for my height (I'm 5'10").

Going to be a tight fit.

On 24/11/2017 at 12:39 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah, I'm finding now some that would give me a nice 3 seater with armrests at about 2500mm which would be ideal. Those Devlin ones I may check out on the weekend. 2900 is getting a bit too wide, but do-able. Devlin have two nice compact ones.

But you look at regular motorised couches like from furniture stores and all of those that have console options are just way too wide. I have a great couch upstairs from Plush, with a consle, but not being an enormous body size, there is way too much room either side of me. Sort of like I can only use one arm rest or the other...

From the spec sheet I work those out to be 2860mm wide if using 2 straight consoles between the 3 seats... I only checked as the photo made them look bulky. My roon is 3.9m wide at the narrowest point so I basically have 700mm on each side to walk thru. If you are regularly going to need to get passed the couches, I'd seriously consider having every thing skewed to one side to leave 1 larger walkway, otherwise I think you may end up cursing your decision. I can easily walk through the gaps I have, but it's not roomy, particularly if carrying anything in a near dark environment. A standard door width is 900mm

They actually have a narrower 200mm single holder console not listed on the site. So I think the final width was about 2700.

I agree it is tight. The main traffic side will have a curtain with shelves behind it, so an extra 100mm soft area on that side. I might offset it all though a bit further to the other side.

I measured out on the floor and tight, but probably doable. I will probably drop the shelving on the left hand side, at least only have it down to head level. That would make it 3.6m wall to wall.

Also, I can pull out one of the consoles and that would drop it to 2490mm. Mix and match.

Guest Peter the Greek

A bit late to this party.....but....

You definitely don't want stand alone chairs? Its a shame as my favourite chairs are made by LAFER (otherwise their lounges are superb, but no arms in between). Or Tessa for that matter

I've spent a good amount of time in the IMG ones, good value for money IMO

Looked at Stressless? Not cheap, but probably the best you can get

Anyone remember the brand the LWA used to flog? the Macrosuede ones - they were/are excellent 

Stand alone chairs would be too wide. So could definitely only get two.

I mainly want a 3 seater so I can sit in the middle, and have an occasional guest.

I don't mind not having an arm between two of the chairs (that is what our upstairs lounge is like - so have an arm for each person still. Not as symmetric though.

I was just considering a plain 3 seater recliner sofa, no arms, for the width. I liked the Devlin Nova when I tried it out though. I wasn't looking at that one though as was a bit wider than I was wanting

3 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Stand alone chairs would be too wide. So could definitely only get two.

I mainly want a 3 seater so I can sit in the middle, and have an occasional guest.

I don't mind not having an arm between two of the chairs (that is what our upstairs lounge is like - so have an arm for each person still. Not as symmetric though.

I was just considering a plain 3 seater recliner sofa, no arms, for the width. I liked the Devlin Nova when I tried it out though. I wasn't looking at that one though as was a bit wider than I was wanting

I really suggest you look at the IMG and other ones before jumping to rushed decisions. I looked for months before coming back to the IMG that I saw 1st up at a Berckowitz store 2km from home.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 12:37 PM, blybo said:

Finally found my HT thread to grab an image. We have 2 dogs that sit on the ones with covers on them. Of course I sit front and centre :wub:

IMG_2559.JPG

Nice setup. Can I ask how much you stepped up the floor for second row?

48 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

Nice setup. Can I ask how much you stepped up the floor for second row?

30cm from memory, so a bit higher than a normal step but we didn't feel the need to put a 2nd step in to get around the issue. As you may have noticed, we have down firing led lights in the walls next to the steps. They only go on when we are using the back row or have people not familiar with the room with us. I've tested it and even with the 3 windows, I can stand 60cm from someone on a bright day and not be able to see them, so those lights are mandatory. I used to have led strips on the underside of the step lips but it was too bright, even in red on the dimmest setting 

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1