refurbed AVRs - why so many and any good?

Hi there, am passing over my ageing (but perfect) Arcam AVR 300 to eldest daughter and son-in-law.

Have read on here the respect for Integra and Anthem and people have had success with their refurbed Units.

A little surprised by so many refurbed - was there a dud few years or are there endemic issues?

They are cost effective and allows me to update with HDMI inputs etc but don't want a lemon.

Anybody have any long term experiences and or knowledge of why these are somewhat plentiful?

many thanks in advance

ALW

Onkyo / Integra lead the pack with faulty HDMI boards, and this went on for quite some time. Personally I dont like either brand anyway. Harman Kardon, well just rubbish in quality since 2012. They certainly do not make AV receivers like they used to, but Yamaha seem to lead the pack these days in relation to reliability. But even they don't have a perfect record either.

yeah harman kardon long gone, saying this having owned a couple of their $2k solid mid level receivers back in the day. now days its box mover rubbish.

and yes I agree its not like any brand has had a PERFECT record. things indeed can fail in modern quite complex things like AVRs where they are trying to squish more and more into their compact chassis. But any brand with a constant and steady stream of refurbs id personally stay away from, plenty of other fish in the sea as they say :) and we have so many great options out there these days ! 

With Integra’s in particular because they are not really a retail product and more of an installer product the old models in large AV jobs get replaced with the newer models so the old ones go back to Integra and get the once over and then resold. Of course some are faulty and get repaired. I have had at least 5 Integra’s from ambertech refurb shop over the last 4 years or so and not a problem with any of them.

I have had bigger issues with brand new avr’s.

Edited by powerav

actually you will find there are many more yamaha refurbs than other makes because they have the largest market share. dont forget a "refurb" may not be damaged. could be a demmo, promo, not wanted, not suited for purpose, damaged box, missing accessories etc etc

• Like 1

With stores like Harvey Norman if a sold AVR just needs a factory reset some customers don’t want them as they think they are faulty and will demand a refund. Those avr’s go back to distributor or the HN home starter/seconds store. Can get some real good deals.

• Like 1

To expand on the previous post.....

Im looking at purchasing a yamaha 3083 from excel hifi.

I was going to get the 3070 but from my limited research the 3083 is virtually the same avr.

At a saving of approximately $1000 is there a reason why i shouldnt buy the 3083 as a "refurbished unit" from excel hifi??

Wanting to pull the trigger, unless advised otherwise.

I see the 3070 as a midrange avr probably on par with a Denon 4 series or Anthem 720 which I have had and in my point of view the What HiFi review is exactly how I found these. Great with all the whizz bang crash of action movies but not so good with the subtlety or nuances of music. Yamaha need one more model above this.

• Administrator

No I think it's more likely a case of old stock left over from when HK essentially stopped.
I think Convoy is calling it recertified rather than refurbished. A lot of the stock from my understanding is actually new.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Jb are taking on denon and marantz?

Really? When? Will they be carrying the whole range of avr's?

I know a store manager that gives me really good prices on pretty much anything from jb hi fi.

That would make my decision easy.

prob like HN with a limited box mover range.