Panasonic VT60 or Samsung F8500

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a bad deal either way.I own an F8500 and i wouldn't sell it for even a dollar less than i payed for it,reason being it murders any tv selling for that price.In your situation however you could buy a second hand plasma and if it goes tits up a week after you get it it may not be repairable.In your situation as good as they are i think the risk of the plasma failing is not worth taking.

Between F8500 and C7000 there is D8000 and E8000.  C7000 is 3 generation older than F8500.  D8000 is slightly brighter than C7000 and E8000 and it was considered to be the 2nd best plasma after F8500,  E8000 was supposed to be an improvement over D8000 but it really wasn't.   None of these TVs are calibrated correctly out of box.  D8000 is the equivalent model to VT30 and it is superior to VT30.

1 hour ago, George3629 said:

Great answer. That's exactly what I was looking for. Anyone thinks that Lg 55 oled 1080p only is a good value for $2500? It should perform just as good as these plasma tv?

This is the old generation OLED with all the issues that they have been working on fixing in the last 18 months.The last gen plasma's where fully sorted display's that could be calibrated to very accurate colour.It comes down to what are the flaws in a TV that you can live with and what ones are going to drive you nuts.

Unfortunately LG had NOT sorted out all the issues with their OLED TV's, nor are they likely to any time soon.

If you want an OLED TV that has actuate colour calibration capability and decent but still not Plasma level screen uniformity and off axis viewing performance you need to go for the 65"Panasonic OLED that isn't even available in Oz as far as I know. That still wont get you Plasma motion clarity.

Motion clarity-resolution call it what you will. Fact is sample and hold display systems (OLED and LCD) are limited to about 300 lines motion resolution natively because thats how the human eye perceives motion with sample and hold. Impulse drive as used in Plasma allows the eye to perceive much higher native motion resolution. You know all this so why bother arguing?

For me the visible difference is quite noticeable on suitable content like sport, which is shot at relatively high shutter speeds at 50/60 frames per second and therefore has lower motion blur to begin with, however for movies which are shot at 24fps with low shutter speeds motion is so blurred 300 lines is not a noticeable limitation.

I actually PREFER sample and hold display for movies because the added motion blur reduces the visibly of low frame rate jitter without the need for strong motion interpolation. Late model 3D capable Plasma's use phosphors with fast decay times which gives them extremely high motion resolution BUT has the down side of making frame transitions at 24fps very noticeable resulting in intolerable jitter without motion interpolation enabled. The older non 3D Plasma's with slower phosphor decay times where a better compromise IMHO, clear motion and no real need for motion interpolation.

For people who watch sport of game on a TV motion resolution most certainly can be an important issue, but since I dont do either its a non issue to me, or you to by the sounds of it.

Some TV manufactures obviously feel there is a need for better native motion resolution with their sample and hold displays and include BFI in an attempt to mimic Plasma's pulse drive. LG haven't done that yet with OLED, the loss of brightness that would result is obviously considered to great a drawback in a brightness obsessed TV market.

3 minutes ago, George3629 said:

Looks like I got lucky and got a ps60f8500 with under 1000 hours, purchased in 2014. If things go wrong it can still be repaired I guess. Do I need the original receipt for any warranty?

Good find.

Not sure if the receipt is required by law, but if you know where and when it was purchased you may be able to get a reprint. Use the original owners name when enquiring. ;-)

11 minutes ago, Owen said:

You know all this so why bother arguing?

Not arguing mate, but the posters at AVForums seem to have a differing opinion which I felt was important to share with other readers so they get a balanced perspective on what motion res. is and what it means for real world viewing.

JSmith :ninja:

13 minutes ago, George3629 said:

Looks like I got lucky and got a ps60f8500 with under 1000 hours, purchased in 2014. If things go wrong it can still be repaired I guess. Do I need the original receipt for any warranty?

Bonus, enjoy. :D

1 hour ago, George3629 said:

The receipt is not required but it makes things a lot simpler. The realtor will generally just ship it back to the manufacturer anyway.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

5 hours ago, JSmith said:

Not arguing mate, but the posters at AVForums seem to have a differing opinion which I felt was important to share with other readers so they get a balanced perspective on what motion res. is and what it means for real world viewing.

Really, peoples opinions normally vary on any forum, typically due to a lack of knowledge on the part of some, but the facts remain unchanged.

Sample and hold displays, including 4K models, are limited to around 300 lines of native motion resolution, like it or not that is a well understood and easily demonstrable fact not an opinion. How much it affects the individual with what they display on their TV to is up to them to ascertain. Sports fans and especially gamers need to be mindful.

Why do you think LCD manufactures offer BFI on higher end models?

6 hours ago, George3629 said:

Is it to personal to ask what you got it for?

11 minutes ago, George3629 said:

nah, we are all friends here! $1200 plus $350 delivery. Still works out cheaper if I get few years out of it than buying an oled 55 inch. What's your thoughts?

I would be checking it closely for anything burned into the screen as they were really prone to it in the first 3 months of running.If it came through that with no issues then you have stolen the best 60" TV since the old pioneer Kuro 

41 minutes ago, Owen said:

Sample and hold displays, including 4K models, are limited to around 300 lines of native motion resolution

You are implying (unintentionally I assume) that the full available res of a frame is not shown, when in fact it is.

Low frame rates are not the fault of OLED panels, especially considering pixel change is almost instant compared to LCD.

Higher frame rates and/or motion interpolation negates this issue to much of an extent, as can BFI as you mention.

I would prefer this small issue rather than the multitude of issues Plasma and LCD have. YMMV.

If only LG could drive their OLED's properly... bring on the Pana. :D