NBN download speeds in practice: fast enough to access UHD?

I see that Stan recommend 15Mbps for their UHD streaming.

From https://help.stan.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/202845004-What-kind-of-Internet-speed-do-I-need-to-run-Stan-

What kind of Internet speed do I need to run Stan?

To get Stan up and running you need a minimum of 0.6 mbps. If you want to get the best out of Stan, we recommend the following speeds:

• 2.0 mbps for good picture quality
  • 3.0 mbps for Standard Definition (SD)
  • 4.5 mbps for High Definition 720p (HD 720p)
  • 7.5 mbps for High Definition 1080p (HD 1080p)
  • 15.0 mbps for Ultra High Definition 4K (UHD 4K)

To check your Internet connection speed to our content delivery network, please click here: http://t1.re

A bit earlier tonight our speed for our non-NBN connection (Optus cable) using the above link was reported to be 18Mbps. In contrast to that, an Ookla speed test reported a download speed of 24Mbps. 

14 hours ago, MLXXX said:

A bit earlier tonight our speed for our non-NBN connection (Optus cable) using the above link was reported to be 18Mbps. In contrast to that, an Ookla speed test reported a download speed of 24Mbps. 

Those speed tests sites can vary a bit - a relatives FTTP NBN was '30mbps' with the Google speedtest, but then changing to Ookla (web url) it returned their more typical 90mbps result.

The server used to grab the test data is usually to blame. Sometimes the server auto-detection built into the speed test App/webpage gets it wrong & selects one further away, but sometimes it's an unknown as to why it's slower/faster than other speed tests....

....just looked up Google's speed test page & found some typical reasons behind variation...

Why your test results may vary

Your test results can change in a short period of time, and they might be different from other Internet speed test results. Results can vary for many reasons, such as:

• Changes in network conditions
  • Differences in where testing servers are located
  • Differences in testing methods

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6283840?p=speedtest&visit_id=1-636284156873279713-1770425582&rd=1

6 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Those speed tests sites can vary a bit

Yes of course but I think the main factor here was that the Stan test was for a lengthy internet path to test the ability to download from Stan, whereas the Ookla speed test was merely for access to my nearest Optus server .

Again, here is the link that Stan provide for testing:  

To check your Internet connection speed to our content delivery network, please click here: http://t1.re 

I see that the domain suffix "re" is generally used for Réunion (a French island located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar).   However despite that the url resolves to an ip address in Amsterdam according to several databases, or Chicago according to another database!  Or at least that is what is currently reported using https://www.iplocation.net/ 

That doesn't seem right though. I'd have thought we'd be able to access Stan (an Australian streaming service) from servers closer than the Netherlands, or the USA.

Edited by MLXXX

9 hours ago, MLXXX said:

That doesn't seem right though. I'd have thought we'd be able to access Stan (an Australian streaming service) from servers closer than the Netherlands, or the USA.

I can't speak for Stan, but Optus made a big song and dance (legitimately) about being the only ISP that cached Netflix shows locally. All the other ISPs had to get TV via the US servers. Given the innumerable drawbacks for streamers hosting content from overseas I'm sure everyone is working to get content saved locally.

As for speed tests on Stan etc. They may be a link to the Stand servers but they are just as likely to be generic speed test links that want to ensure you've got the minimum 3 Mbps speeds required.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I have posted this item in the wrong forum.  I live in Rockhampton close to the CBD and have an Optus 50mbps NBN plan (signed up over a year ago).  Overall the service works well aside from a marginal drop in download speed during the evenings (usually to about 30mbps) which I can certainly live with.

Unfortunately, each evening after about 6pm, my Netflix data rate appears to drop dramatically. The information button on my Samsung TV indicates a best download speed during this time of 5.53mbps which is not enough to run 4K video (Netflix will usually resolve 4K at 7.63mbps and upwards).   When this occurs I always undertake a download speed test (to confirm that the Netflix drop is not due to a more general bandwidth reduction); the results of which confirm the 30mbps or so - also You Tube 4k clips happily resolve at anything between 15 and 22 mbps during this time, so I believe that my download speed results are genuine and adequate for 4K video.

Appreciate any advice why during evening peak times, Netflix will not operate at a sufficient level to resolve 4K video when my underlying bandwidth is quite adequate (during the remainder of the day, Netflix is fine and will quickly resolve to 15.26mbps with 4k source).

thanks     

2 hours ago, pc9 said:

Apologies if I have posted this item in the wrong forum.  I live in Rockhampton close to the CBD and have an Optus 50mbps NBN plan (signed up over a year ago).  Overall the service works well aside from a marginal drop in download speed during the evenings (usually to about 30mbps) which I can certainly live with.

Appreciate any advice why during evening peak times, Netflix will not operate at a sufficient level to resolve 4K video when my underlying bandwidth is quite adequate (during the remainder of the day, Netflix is fine and will quickly resolve to 15.26mbps with 4k source).

thanks     

Is your TV / media player connected wirelessly?

What NBN tech do you use?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

thanks Peter.  The TV (Samsung KS 8000) is connected wirelessly as the modem is located on the same stand.  I get exactly the same result when connected via Ethernet.  Not sure what you mean by NBN tech.  Just connected with Optus a year ago who sent out the installer. Everything works fine other than the "collapse in Netflix speed" in the evenings.

7 hours ago, pc9 said:

Not sure what you mean by NBN tech.  Just connected with Optus a year ago

I think Peter is asking how NBN internet is delivered to your address. Some people get it via old-fashioned copper phone line that connects to an NBN pillar or "node" on the footpath a few hundred metres away, some get the internet through a coaxial cable that has been in the neighbourhood for years but which has been switched over to the NBN. Some people (particularly in new estates) get NBN fibre all the way to their premises.

16 hours ago, pc9 said:

Unfortunately, each evening after about 6pm, my Netflix data rate appears to drop dramatically. The information button on my Samsung TV indicates a best download speed during this time of 5.53mbps which is not enough to run 4K video (Netflix will usually resolve 4K at 7.63mbps and upwards).   When this occurs I always undertake a download speed test (to confirm that the Netflix drop is not due to a more general bandwidth reduction); the results of which confirm the 30mbps or so - also You Tube 4k clips happily resolve at anything between 15 and 22 mbps during this time, so I believe that my download speed results are genuine and adequate for 4K video.

Well we don't usually watch Netflix [Australia] quite so early in the evening but tonight I put Netflix on from 6pm to 6.30pm  (and played an episode of Grace & Frankie). This streamed at 2160p for the whole half hour, varying between about 15Mps and 11Mbps according to the information displayed on the [Android] TV screen.

The connection we have is not NBN. It's just Optus coaxial cable internet that during the day provides a download speed around 30Mbps but by 6.30pm tonight had dropped to 23Mbps (according to www.speedtest.net).

Why your access to Netflix in Rockhampton deteriorates so badly at night while your basic internet access remains relatively high I can't say. However it's clear that Netflix can stream 4K to some parts of Eastern Australia at this time of the evening.  [I live in an inner northside suburb of Brisbane, and as I say the provider is Optus using the old cable (HFC) network; not "the NBN". ]

Edited by MLXXX

thanks - internet is FTTN and the premises is located about 200 metres from the node.  I will call Netflix tonight and see if they can shed any light on the subject (although I'm not expecting much from them).

• Like 1