Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Did the 7.1 out for sacds and ht before. Yep it sounds very good

The DAC is well implemented.

Super good the dac compared to the one I’m using on Onkyo rz5100 processor. Day and night.

If not using Atmos, this method of connection  for 7.1 is highly recommended

Another thing is the lfe channel doesn’t have a 10db alignment gain like the avr. So to use the Oppo 205 as a preamp, one would need to reduce the trims of all channels by -10db or increase the LfE channel trim by 10db, if connecting directly to power amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When u using hdmi u're using the avr/avp dac not the oppo dac. To my understanding even when u are using analog out to connect to a avr/avp/preamp if u apply eq/room correction the signal need to be re-digital in order to apply eq/room correction n convert back to analog again by the avr/avp/preamp dac to output to power amp.So if u want to know how the oppo dac sound is to connect directly to power amp but need to set the output volume to variable n start low at 30-40 to prevent damage your speaker. In the other hand u can set the avr/avp/preamp to bypass/source direct but the signal go through one more device not direct from oppo.

Please correct me as I might be wrong on the da/ad/da part on the avr/avp/preamp.

Thanks.

Yes u r correct. The other way is if u have an outboard eq like the minidsp, u can use room correction Dirac for the 7.1 analog out. It still goes through a digital analog conversion and introduces delay in the process. This delay is not a problem to sound quality. the problem I’m facing now is when combining two sets of speakers, one processed by Onkyo DAC( different processing clock hence different delay) for Atmos, the other on minidsp for 7.1.

If u r not into Atmos, u don’t even need an avr, just one Oppo 205 settle, it also has HDMi in for other devices to connect into it like Apple TV or Xbox

Super good the dac compared to the one I’m using on Onkyo rz5100 processor. Day and night.

Another thing is the lfe channel doesn’t have a 10db alignment gain like the avr. So to use the Oppo 205 as a preamp, one would need to reduce the trims of all channels by -10db or increase the LfE channel trim by 10db, if connecting directly to power amp

Maybe you can post on how to hook up your system to fully utilize the internal DACs?

Cheers

For the record, it is not the SABRE DACs are world class. It is that the 9038s are world class. Not the 9028, not the 9018/9016 etc.

Yes you are correct, the pro 9038s version on the Oppo 205. So good. Not sure about other versions, this version on the Oppo 205 is damn good

Maybe you can post on how to hook up your system to fully utilize the internal DACs?

Cheers

Sure, ill share how i hook this up. It can even work with Atmos, if one knows how to set the group delay. Breathtaking 7.1 when used with Dirac EQ with analog out on Oppo 205. Eye opener kinda of quality .

If Atmos doesn’t matter to you, then this is definitely the way to go.

Suddenly you are asking, why do I even need that avr? If they have an oppo 205 7.1.4 12 channels anaolog out with those 9038s dac, it would be damn awesome

Yes that how I run my ht since using the 105 and replace it with the 205.To me the improvement on the sq when listening to music over the 105 well worth the price different of $480 between the two.Blu-ray rip mkv movie pq also look better on the 205 plus due to the sq improvement watching same movie again is like watching a new movie.

On the sub out part u have to set the level 10bd more using cal. disc I'm using the Spears & Munsil 2nd edition disc. Take note that due to we normally set all speaker to small one have to add 5db more to sub level as the oppo will cut down 5db if any speaker is set to small for headroom.This is if u are using the 205 same as me as a preamp/processor.

If u want more detail can refer to AVS forum oppo 205 thread pg 10 there's a oppo beta tester name Bob B. I follow his post since oppo 105 n tested on 105 with good result so not using any avr/avp/preamp afer that.

For music do try out the digital filter mini phase slow sound more clean to me so I'm using it default is mini phase fast.

Yes that how I run my ht since using the 105 and replace it with the 205.To me the improvement on the sq when listening to music over the 105 well worth the price different of $480 between the two.Blu-ray rip mkv movie pq also look better on the 205 plus due to the sq improvement watching same movie again is like watching a new movie.

On the sub out part u have to set the level 10bd more using cal. disc I'm using the Spears & Munsil 2nd edition disc. Take note that due to we normally set all speaker to small one have to add 5db more to sub level as the oppo will cut down 5db if any speaker is set to small for headroom.This is if u are using the 205 same as me as a preamp/processor.

If u want more detail can refer to AVS forum oppo 205 thread pg 10 there's a oppo beta tester name Bob B. I follow his post since oppo 105 n tested on 105 with good result so not using any avr/avp/preamp afer that.

For music do try out the digital filter mini phase slow sound more clean to me so I'm using it default is mini phase fast.

Very nice. I see your points.

1. Benefit from pic is mainly because u r using Oppo directly to the pj or tv? In my experience, this is much better than going through the video card from the avr. The tv has got a better video chip, anytime, with same year of make

2. Have u come across a solution For Atmos using internal DAC on Oppo?

3. +10db alignment is needed because the mkv rips and bluray’s LfE channels are recorded 10db louder. The AVR’s internal trim controls provides for this 10db alignment but the Oppo 205 doesn’t. That is why this needs to be adjusted +10 dB on Oppo LfE channel.

4. For the 5db alignment, that would not be correct. As the signal comes in, the level is now 15db more than the mains. If you want to take advantage of the headroom, then that 5db gain should be adjusted at the sub amplifier, to compensate for the digital headroom, IF you are using the bass management from Oppo 205.

5. I don’t use the bass management from the Oppo 205. I set the oppo205 to full range. I use the ddrc88a bass management, that gives me the ability to not only use the dac but also set individual and group delays and level matching of all speakers with room EQ Dirac. Much more capable.

If you love the 7.1 with Oppo 205, then u should get a ddrc88a, very good. U can still use xlr out for stereo, 1 stone hit many birds

Very nice. I see your points.

1. Benefit from pic is mainly because u r using Oppo directly to the pj or tv? In my experience, this is much better than going through the video card from the avr. The tv has got a better video chip, anytime, with same year of make

2. Have u come across a solution For Atmos using internal DAC on Oppo?

3. +10db alignment is needed because the mkv rips and bluray’s LfE channels are recorded 10db louder. The AVR’s internal trim controls provides for this 10db alignment but the Oppo 205 doesn’t. That is why this needs to be adjusted +10 dB on Oppo LfE channel.

4. For the 5db alignment, that would not be correct. As the signal comes in, the level is now 15db more than the mains. If you want to take advantage of the headroom, then that 5db gain should be adjusted at the sub amplifier, to compensate for the digital headroom, IF you are using the bass management from Oppo 205.

5. I don’t use the bass management from the Oppo 205. I set the oppo205 to full range. I use the ddrc88a bass management, that gives me the ability to not only use the dac but also set individual and group delays and level matching of all speakers with room EQ Dirac. Much more capable.

If you love the 7.1 with Oppo 205, then u should get a ddrc88a, very good. U can still use xlr out for stereo, 1 stone hit many birds

1.Yes direct from 205 to lg 65c7.

2.No,never read anything about that also I worry about over head speaker drop on

someone head when playing bass heavy movie.

3/4.Yes sub level  need +10db my oppo sub trim is on 0,all speakers trim done when oppo volume at 100 the addition +5db according to the beta tester was the design of the oppo bass management. Using antimode dc to eq all 4 subs I found it quite true as if only set +10db read 85db on spl meter the bass level was no so good when playing movie so I set the antimode dc house curve to lift 6 tilt 5 it sound just right for me,for music both set at 3. All volume adjustment done on sub amp.

5.I'm running 7.4 without centre ch,quite happy about it for music n ht.I think once u done basic 7.1 ch properly it's 80% done one should have some overhead effect/sound out of it if the source have it plus I need avr/avp to go atmos/dts-x which I not going to buy unless no more multi-ch analog out on oppo or u found out how to do it without avr/avp. BTW nice subs u have listen to music 2 ch or multi-ch with subs still sound better then without.

One last thing is I combine the 2 ch n multi-ch analog out on the oppo to setup my 7.4 system so 2 Ess9038 pro dac are in use fl/fr xlr out to power amp the rest rca out to power amp.

Very nice . I have just learnt about this awesomeness on the Oppo 205. For a moment there I was like... wait a sec... should I downgrade to 7.4? It’s that good

So there is an internal 5db trim on the Oppo LFE if bass management is in use.... ahhh, no wonder, because I didn’t use the bass management in Oppo 205. I used the BM in ddrc88a

Gosh, hope Oppo comes out with one that has 7.1.4 for Atmos, that would be great

Very nice . I have just learnt about this awesomeness on the Oppo 205. ...

Its abt how many stage the initial recorded information in a disc is delivered eventually to ur ear... To make it simple to understand, how DACs in between different gears processes the audio 1s n 0s that hv effects on how the final audio visual experience is get at the final stage.

This is also why i m still using my old avr with discrete analogue connection from the source.

I may not be using any highend playing source, i m still happy to enjoy what i get from the source, thru cables n lines n eventually the amplification stage as well as the speakers at the end.

Aargh! My oppo 205 has played every disc seamlessly until I installed the latest firmware. Now I have two 4k discs that won't play, as they come up as Unknown Disc. They are new purchases, so I can't say if they'd have played on older firmware. Disc one is Thor Ragnarok, purchased from JB Hi-Fi, and disc two is Get Out purchased from Amazon US. 

Tried the suggested fix of unplugging unit, but to no avail. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

52 minutes ago, BuffySlayer said:

Anyone have any ideas? 

thats unfortunate ! id log an issue on oppo local web portal. best they know about it to act upon :) in these early days one of reason have a couple of uhd players in the house... if one doesnt work... other hopefully will :D though been fortunate so far with no issues though dont have either of the titles you have buffy to say if work on mine or not.

• Like 1

Very nice . I have just learnt about this awesomeness on the Oppo 205. For a moment there I was like... wait a sec... should I downgrade to 7.4? It’s that good

So there is an internal 5db trim on the Oppo LFE if bass management is in use.... ahhh, no wonder, because I didn’t use the bass management in Oppo 205. I used the BM in ddrc88a

Gosh, hope Oppo comes out with one that has 7.1.4 for Atmos, that would be great

One more thing to get the best out of your 205 to play music is to rip all your cd/sacd/dvd-audio to hdd n playback using the usb3.0 port,I found it sound better then playing the disc itself plus can use the oppo media control app to select n play no need to change disc can play any file inside the hdd.

Yes I also hope one day oppo can do 7.1.4 ch analog output.

One more thing to get the best out of your 205 to play music is to rip all your cd/sacd/dvd-audio to hdd n playback using the usb3.0 port,I found it sound better then playing the disc itself plus can use the oppo media control app to select n play no need to change disc can play any file inside the hdd.

Yes I also hope one day oppo can do 7.1.4 ch analog output.

Bro, u r very wise indeed to take this route, take full advantage of the 205 dac. There is no need for an avr if only 7.1 is required. Save $$ on avr.

U should try this with 1 unit ddrc88a using Dirac live eq. When u use this with the 7.1 channels EQ with Dirac, the group delays for 7.1, channel levels, phase,bass management, full range EQ with target curves will bring your entire system up to another level, trust me if U have taken this route, u must get the ddrc88a to pair with this for the 7.1, TOP class HT system pair. Not very expensive comparing to the high end Dirac capable avr, of course those can do atmos and this can’t, the only downside

1 hour ago, BuffySlayer said:

Aargh! My oppo 205 has played every disc seamlessly until I installed the latest firmware. Now I have two 4k discs that won't play, as they come up as Unknown Disc. They are new purchases, so I can't say if they'd have played on older firmware. Disc one is Thor Ragnarok, purchased from JB Hi-Fi, and disc two is Get Out purchased from Amazon US. 

Tried the suggested fix of unplugging unit, but to no avail. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

No Probs with Thor Ragnarok..... I am running the last Beta firmware though.

• Like 1

I may not be using any highend playing source, i m still happy to enjoy what i get from the source, thru cables n lines n eventually the amplification stage as well as the speakers at the end.

Most important be happy with what u hear. But in music and HT, a lot of us are always trying to improve the system and take full advantage of whatever we get/bought.

Good quality stuff don’t come cheap, the value is always there for a reason. When I saw the price variation between the 203 and 205, I was like what???? So much diff ? But when u plug that cable into the 205, u will understand why. Yes it is still the 1 and 0, but the difference is the DAC and jitter reduction clock design in the 205, world class indeed.

I have since reverted to the Atmos set up using the avr dac now. The system pales in comparison to the analog 7.1 out on Oppo. even playing the Atmos tracks (supposedly with higher dynamic range), is still not as good as the Oppo 205 7.1. Everything the same in the set up,nothing changed, just plug out HDMI for analog out....

I miss the Oppo 205 analog, it’s so so good, very natural crystal clear 7.1

c9c6e0cbb2e82a4778f21abb08c206f7.jpg

The Yamaha 3070 uses the Sabre pro dac 9026 pro, this should be good, but not sure if it is in the same league as the 9038 pro. But I think it won’t be far off. Seems like Yamaha is one I can consider down the road

Which DAC uses Sabre 9038s besides Oppo Sonica and their latest 105/205? I wonder if the 9038 makes a huge difference in performance.

For < $3k DAC, not many brands. The latest Mytek Brooklyn+ also does not use 9038.

For the record, it is not the SABRE DACs are world class. It is that the 9038s are world class. Not the 9028, not the 9018/9016 etc.

9038Pro has customisable FIR filter & 140dB DNR, very different league.

I see, I just came to realise its benefits with HT application , been using it for music, great, then suddenly switched connections on the 205 to analog and it’s like wow, out of this world

Have u come across any avr or processor that uses the 9038 pro Sabre dac like the one used by Oppo 205?

Which DAC uses Sabre 9038s besides Oppo Sonica and their latest 105/205? I wonder if the 9038 makes a huge difference in performance.

For < $3k DAC, not many brands. The latest Mytek Brooklyn+ also does not use 9038.

I strongly suspect what makes the 9038 sound so good is that it was designed in conjunction with the late Hansen of Ayre. In fact the QX5 had an exclusivity on the chip for about a year.

It’s not just SNR per se.

Imho.

c9c6e0cbb2e82a4778f21abb08c206f7.jpg

The Yamaha 3070 uses the Sabre pro dac 9026 pro, this should be good, but not sure if it is in the same league as the 9038 pro. But I think it won’t be far off. Seems like Yamaha is one I can consider down the road

9026 is not the same as the 9038. Far from it.

I’ve heard the Yamaha AVRs and consistently prefer the AKM4458s used in the Marantz 6012 And also the integra DRX4.