Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

lazy to dig old thread. can anyone tell me whether  any issue playin mkv files ? thz.

No issue but I will not use Oppo to playback mkv files. I will rather use a dedicated media player for that. I believed mkv files with Dolby Atmos remux still won't get a proper passthrough...it revert to LPCM (still lossless though)

No issue but I will not use Oppo to playback mkv files. I will rather use a dedicated media player for that. I believed mkv files with Dolby Atmos remux still won't get a proper passthrough...it revert to LPCM (still lossless though)

Hi desray, how did u come to know it reverts to LPCM? Which firmware were on when u encountered this? Did it happen with the rest of the mkv files? Could it be the source file of how it is being encoded?

There was a period in one of the software upgrade process I encountered this. The signal wasn’t passing through correctly to the Denon. Played another file, same case. Did a microprocessor reset on Denon, same case. Turns out the simple solution was to erase persistent storage and reset factory settings for accounts after the firmware upgrade. That did the trick

Hi desray, how did u come to know it reverts to LPCM? Which firmware were on when u encountered this? Did it happen with the rest of the mkv files? Could it be the source file of how it is being encoded?

There was a period in one of the software upgrade process I encountered this. The signal wasn’t passing through correctly to the Denon. Played another file, same case. Did a microprocessor reset on Denon, same case. Turns out the simple solution was to erase persistent storage and reset factory settings for accounts after the firmware upgrade. That did the trick

Thanks for the feedback. I have just updated my firmware recently for my Jailbroken Oppo 203. The JB firmware did not allow me to get a proper passthrough of the Atmos signal and Oppo simply output it as LPCM signal to my Denon AVR. I have yet to try another MKV with Dolby Atmos sound track embedded. I will give it another try to see if it is indeed resolved in the latest firmware build. I have been busy playing with the Egreat, hence didn't have time to play with the newly upgraded Oppo 203. Since you have brought to my attention, I will give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some handshaking issues between my UDP203 and Epson TW8200W pj. The player's home menu only shows if I turn on the player before the pj and regardless of whether the AVR (Denon X4200W) or player is turned on first. And if I switch to another input and back or turn on pj first, it shows no signal. 

Both player and avr are on its latest firmware and all settings are set to Auto, including AVR's. Tweaked a few settings on the AVR (i.e. enabled i/p scaler) as suggested by Desray but nothing seems to work.

There seems to be some handshaking issues between my UDP203 and Epson TW8200W pj. The player's home menu only shows if I turn on the player before the pj and regardless of whether the AVR (Denon X4200W) or player is turned on first. And if I switch to another input and back or turn on pj first, it shows no signal. 

Both player and avr are on its latest firmware and all settings are set to Auto, including AVR's. Tweaked a few settings on the AVR (i.e. enabled i/p scaler) as suggested by Desray but nothing seems to work.

Bro, as mentioned there are a myriad of variables that need to be considered. Sometimes it is the resolution of the Oppo player that you are trying to send across to the display (in this case, your projector) could be a concern. Make sure you don't use UHD Custom and instead use Source Direct for a change. Sometimes it is the HDMI cable that is not able to support the high bandwidth required to send a proper "clean" signal to the projector. By the way, did a Factory Reset for your Oppo too to ensure all setting are revert to factory mode like Color Depth and resolution are all set to "Auto". As for the AVR, play around with the Video Conversion for the signal sent out by the Oppo player to the AVR to get properly synced before sending the signal to the Epson projector. Have you try all of these suggestions?

Bro, as mentioned there are a myriad of variables that need to be considered. Sometimes it is the resolution of the Oppo player that you are trying to send across to the display (in this case, your projector) could be a concern. Make sure you don't use UHD Custom and instead use Source Direct for a change. Sometimes it is the HDMI cable that is not able to support the high bandwidth required to send a proper "clean" signal to the projector. By the way, did a Factory Reset for your Oppo too to ensure all setting are revert to factory mode like Color Depth and resolution are all set to "Auto". As for the AVR, play around with the Video Conversion for the signal sent out by the Oppo player to the AVR to get properly synced before sending the signal to the Epson projector. Have you try all of these suggestions?

Did not attempt to use the UHD settings at all since the projector is only 1080p and the HDMI cable used is provided with the player so maybe tonight I will try to use Source Direct for a start.

Anyway, I have also sent a ticket to Oppo, and I'm pretty surprise their response was fast. They suggested changing the Color Space to YCbCr 4:2:2 and Color Depth to 10-bit. They also suggested that I connect directly from player to projector to test, which is no brainer, but I would have to remove my avr due to the layout of my console. If I set the HDMI to passthrough when power off, is it the same as connect direct?

Did not attempt to use the UHD settings at all since the projector is only 1080p and the HDMI cable used is provided with the player so maybe tonight I will try to use Source Direct for a start.

Anyway, I have also sent a ticket to Oppo, and I'm pretty surprise their response was fast. They suggested changing the Color Space to YCbCr 4:2:2 and Color Depth to 10-bit. They also suggested that I connect directly from player to projector to test, which is no brainer, but I would have to remove my avr due to the layout of my console. If I set the HDMI to passthrough when power off, is it the same as connect direct?

That is a reasonable response from Oppo. I try not to go into the YCbCr thingy as a factory reset will set everything to Auto and besides I doubt you change the Color space settings anyway. Unless of course you itchy hand...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I changed the color space and depth to the suggested value and seems like it is working. Shall try a few more times to confirm. Because of this issue, I gave up the jailbreak to update to the latest firmware in hope that it works. Now no choice but to get the A10 for the BD iso playback.

Anyway thanks for the help. Looks like not all Settings when set to Auto works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I changed the color space and depth to the suggested value and seems like it is working. Shall try a few more times to confirm. Because of this issue, I gave up the jailbreak to update to the latest firmware in hope that it works. Now no choice but to get the A10 for the BD iso playback.

Anyway thanks for the help. Looks like not all Settings when set to Auto works.

Glad to know that its been resolved...By “right”, the Auto setting helps to do a proper negotiation between the player and the projector. For instance, 4:2:0 at 8bit is the baseline...it will transmit the signal to raw to the projector to do proper upscaling if you choose to use Source as output instead of Custom UHD setting as it sent out an interlace signal (lower bandwidth required) over to the long HDMI cable (apparently your HDMI not that good - it may not even be HDMI 2.0 compliant). By setting 4:2:2 at 8/10bit is the best as baseline conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 can be processed on your Oppo before transmitting it to the Epson projector to do a 4:4:4. If your cable quality or bandwidth (due to long distance covered) not up to the task, it will result in blank out or snowy static picture.

Glad to know that its been resolved...By “right”, the Auto setting helps to do a proper negotiation between the player and the projector. For instance, 4:2:0 at 8bit is the baseline...it will transmit the signal to raw to the projector to do proper upscaling if you choose to use Source as output instead of Custom UHD setting as it sent out an interlace signal (lower bandwidth required) over to the long HDMI cable (apparently your HDMI not that good - it may not even be HDMI 2.0 compliant). By setting 4:2:2 at 8/10bit is the best as baseline conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 can be processed on your Oppo before transmitting it to the Epson projector to do a 4:4:4. If your cable quality or bandwidth (due to long distance covered) not up to the task, it will result in blank out or snowy static picture.

Surprising when I connect direct without passing through avr, it works on Auto. Something wrong with Avr coz when I check the video info on the avr, everything is - -. Thats means avr not receiving any signal from oppo?

Surprising when I connect direct without passing through avr, it works on Auto. Something wrong with Avr coz when I check the video info on the avr, everything is - -. Thats means avr not receiving any signal from oppo?

Bro, did you try my suggestion on the Video Conversion? set it to On and then turn on the progressive scaling.

Bro, did you try my suggestion on the Video Conversion? set it to On and then turn on the progressive scaling.

Yup. Do you have any hdmi 2.0 compliant cable to loan so that I can test if the problem lies with the hdmi cable provided with oppo?

For the 203, can I now get Dolby Vision from Netflix if I plug the chromecast ultra into the HDMI In?

Good question...although i have the hardware (Chromecast Ultra) and the Oppo 203, I just cancelled my Netflix 2 maths ago.