Seven To Simulcast In Hd In 2016

youve got to be kidding right ? all the pieces to your puzzle are in post #46 repeated in post # 48

and relinked here

http://www.content-technology.com/asiapacificnews/?p=10764

i can see how some of these discussions become personal and protracted, we cant even get past the semantics of the first sentence of a particular post

:)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. So from the new television afl broadcast rights deal for 2017 and beyond games will be filmed at Etihad stadium at least in 4k.

I wonder if we will have a chance to see the games in 4k at all, whether it be via live streaming for those lucky enough to have a fast NBN fibre to the home connection or via purchasing games on 4k bluray through name a game/sports delivered or whatever they call themselves now???

UHD 4k?

I doubt it. There are no 4k transmissions in Australia.

Crikey, we are still only just starting to broadcast in HD!

And the possibility of the Olympic Games being shown in SD, looms large.

If you spend millions on OB vans you are not going to invest that money on obsolete standards. Use of UHD now means that there will be archived games for when we start transmission if ever the Department of Communications/ACMA and broadcasters can get their act together.

It is good that they are using a UHD OB van so that they can get practice with such sharp images. It will mean that the camera operators will have to be even more precise with focus. It also gives a selling point to the politicians and broadcasters about the quality of UHD and why there should be an upgrade.

Alanh,

what model cameras are being used at Etihad stadium? Are they 4k capable?

I can see the logic, if ordering a new OB van, to order one with UHD capability, in case UHD cameras are used in the future. That would provide infrastructure, e.g. UHD editing capability. However I would point out that use of a UHD capable van would not of itself necessarily imply use of 4k cameras.

Where is your source of info that UHD cameras are being used now at Etihad stadium, and operated in UHD mode? I note in particular your claim "Use of UHD now means that there will be archived games for when we start transmission if ever the Department of Communications/ACMA and broadcasters can get their act together.".

Or have you simply made an assumption that the video cameras being used at Etihad stadium are 4k capable and being operated in 4k mode? (Please treat this as a formal opportunity to clarify your position.)

- MLXXX

N.B. It is one thing that 4k OB vans exist, it is another thing that Sony HTC-4300 4k capable OB cameras exist. What we are looking at here is whether a particular venue (Etihad stadium) is fitted out with 4k cameras, whether they are being operated in 4k mode, and whether the OB van in use is 4k capable. Although there are press reports of UHD capable OB vans, and 4k cameras, I can see nothing indicating that the AFL matches are being shot and recorded at 4k.

Edited by MLXXX

Miata,

Seven has publically stated that the Olympic Games will be broadcast in HD. Given also that Nine, WIN/NBN, TEN simulcast in HD there is already a precedent.

Alanh

Miata,

Seven has publically stated that the Olympic Games will be broadcast in HD. Given also that Nine, WIN/NBN, TEN simulcast in HD there is already a precedent.

Alanh

quote]So do SBS and the ABC starts in August. Where did 7 say that the Olympics would be broadcast in HD?

My source of the Edihad use is an email newsletter sent to broadcasters. It is not available to the general public.

The announcement on the Rio Olympics was made in the West Australian Newspaper which is owned by 7 West Media late last year.

MLXXX

4K is only used by the movie industry which is 4096 x 2160 progressive which may be 24 - 120 frame/s .

UHD is what TV industry including receiver manufacturers' displays and broadcasters' equipment 3840 x 2160 progressively scanned which is 4 times full HD. The frame rates will be related to existing frame rates such as 25 and 50 frame/s

Sony also make a UHD 100p camera to produce non jerky slow mo. It is also useful for very close starts under starting pistol and swimming starts. 25 frame/s is every 40 ms which can affect results when touch then finish lines.

Alanh

MLXXX

4K is only used by the movie industry which is 4096 x 2160 progressive which may be 24 - 120 frame/s .

UHD is what TV industry including receiver manufacturers' displays and broadcasters' equipment 3840 x 2160 progressively scanned which is 4 times full HD

The narrow cinematic use of 4K to which you refer is to be distinguished from the broader use of 4K that has emerged in relation to television broadcasting, television sets, and the new 4K Blu-ray discs and players; where 4K means 3840x2160. My recollection is that this broader use of the term 4K first became common about 3 years ago.

If you currently do a google search for a 4K video camera you will mostly find 3840x2160 pixel video cameras, and only a handful of 4096x2160 pixel video cameras.

I myself still tend to use the term UHD when referring to 3840x2160 but 4K is shorter to write and certainly shorter to pronounce. In most cases the context will indicate whether or not cinematic 4K is intended.

Alanh,

Where is your source of info that UHD cameras are being used now at Etihad stadium, and operated in UHD mode? I note in particular your claim "Use of UHD now means that there will be archived games for when we start transmission if ever the Department of Communications/ACMA and broadcasters can get their act together.".

My source of the Edihad use is an email newsletter sent to broadcasters. It is not available to the general public.

Are you saying, alanh, that the email states that the AFL matches at Etihad stadium are currently being recorded in UHD?

• 2 weeks later...

7 HD on LCN 70 in Melbourne.

Looks like they are testing first in the home market of Melbourne (Seven typically do Melbourne and Sydney first like they did with 7HD resolution changes in 2007).

New 7HD H.264 HD stream has been added but 7mate has been relegated to crappy SD and very low bitrate.

Current bitrates:

7SD: 3.60 Mbps (720x576i MPEG2)

7HD: 7.00 Mbps (1920x1080i H.264 + 384kbps 5.1 AC3 audio)

7Two: 2.75 Mbps (720x576i MPEG2)

7mate: 2.57 Mbps (720x576i MPEG2)

7flix: 1.56 Mbps (720x576i H.264)

TV4ME: 1.43 Mbps (640x576i H.264)

RACING.COM: 1.80 Mbps (640x576i H.264)

7HD looks very good (it should at a very high 7 Mbps which is almost double that of 9HD and 25% higher than TenHD)

But 7Two, 7mate and 7flix have had their bitrate slashed making the SD quality fairly awful.

Also channels names have had the capital city added. e.g. "7 Melbourne" "7mate Melbourne" "7HD Melbourne" etc.

Here in Sydney 70 changed names to 7HD. Yet at as others have said. At the moment its just playing a HD mpeg-4 1080i mirror of the 7mate channel.

As expected. 7HD main aim is to show the AFL in HD. Which means the simulcast channel will depend on what channel in your area shows the AFL. Being in Sydney watch more 7Mate than the main channel so prefer that being in HD than the main channel.

For fans in Melbourne and Adelaide, the 7HD channel will simulcast the network's main channel for AFL broadcasts.

For fans in Perth, Sydney and Brisbane, 7HD will simulcast 7mate for AFL broadcasts,

7HD is coming – it’s official, your TV is updating as you read this.

Edited by g12345567

Only $even can treat viewers with such contempt,one state has their primary channel in HD. Whilst the rest of the peasants around the country can please themselves.

Very poor introduction by a network that has always pulled stunts with digital television since its introduction in 2001.

Only $even can treat viewers with such contempt,one state has their primary channel in HD. Whilst the rest of the peasants around the country can please themselves.

A bit harsh? I think all the commercial channels are just as capable to treat their viewers with contempt. :)

But FWIW rolling out big changes nation wide is a pretty tall ask. HD in VIC today and probably elsewhere if it goes smoothly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie