Onkyo Pr-Sc5509 9.2 Ch 3D Thx Ultra2 Plus A/v Processor/ Preamplifier - Black

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where I can buy the HDMI board for this amp. Unfortunately Ambertec won't supply parts to grey imports.

I'm presuming this is the unit that SVS A8 had for sale and that neither of the HDMI outputs are working.

Have you contacted the seller?

I'm presuming this is the unit that SVS A8 had for sale and that neither of the HDMI outputs are working.

Have you contacted the seller?

Yes this is SVS A8's unit. Supposedly working before shipped off but unfortunately was dead on arrival for me, would not turn on at all. Took it to an authorised repairer over a week ago and have just been told the bad news about not being able to get spare parts from Ambertech due to not having a serial number and quite possibly the unit being a grey import.

SVS A8 has been helpful with offering advice on remedies but at the end of the day, what can be done? I can't expect a refund as I did receive the unit. Looks like it could be a very expensive door stop if I can't get the HDMI board for it.

Who did SVSA8 buy it from ... Whoever the OS dealer was may be able to source the board, then your local guy can install it.

A very good local electrical engineer/techo might be able to repair the board ... But I suspect it's an Oink propriety bit that's blown.

I'm not sure who he bought it from. I have mentioned in conversation that Ambertech won't supply parts due to not having a serial number and that the unit is a grey import. Still waiting to hear back about that.

Was given the part number from the service guy: Onkyo 1B248597-1F. Google comes up with nothing though :(

PM member Roachy, he may be able to assist with details on how to source one through Singapore...........

Cheers, I am waiting to hear back from him now. From reading his post on the matter it looks like it will cost around $1000 all up installed here if I can get the part.

I am %99 sure it's a ground issue, replace the screws that hold the HDMI board in place on the chassis. The relay click is usually caused by a bad ground to chassis. The unit was working fine before I shipped it, should have posted pics of it working. Next time I will.

Really feel for the purchaser here, if I spent $1900 on this unit only to have it not work at all, find out it was a grey import and then be told to replace some screws and it should work I would be filthy! The buyer shouldn't even have to look inside the thing to have it work as advertised!

Yes this is SVS A8's unit. Supposedly working before shipped off but unfortunately was dead on arrival for me, would not turn on at all. Took it to an authorised repairer over a week ago and have just been told the bad news about not being able to get spare parts from Ambertech due to not having a serial number and quite possibly the unit being a grey import.

SVS A8 has been helpful with offering advice on remedies but at the end of the day, what can be done? I can't expect a refund as I did receive the unit. Looks like it could be a very expensive door stop if I can't get the HDMI board for it.

One thing that's worth checking is to make sure you have the correct power cord. The IEC inlet on these is subtly different from standard, with shorter prongs. A standard IEC cord will appear to go in, but may not contact the prongs.

play nice girls!

Hopefully lamtran can get a speedy and non costly resolution.

I am not sure why the unit does not power on at all. Was it not just one HDMI output that was not working and the other was. To state the obvious Lamtran have you tried both outputs ?

SVS A8 originally stated that "This has been quoted at $100 to repair, it is a simple replacement of the 100uf capacitors on the HDMI board" so mayby taking out one board and getting that fixed would be the cheapest way to go.

One thing that's worth checking is to make sure you have the correct power cord. The IEC inlet on these is subtly different from standard, with shorter prongs. A standard IEC cord will appear to go in, but may not contact the prongs.

As stated above I had hooked the supplied power cable, the unit just clicked so definitely was recognising power to it. Just nothing appeared on the LCD display on the Onkyo.

Hopefully lamtran can get a speedy and non costly resolution.

I am not sure why the unit does not power on at all. Was it not just one HDMI output that was not working and the other was. To state the obvious Lamtran have you tried both outputs ?

SVS A8 originally stated that "This has been quoted at $100 to repair, it is a simple replacement of the 100uf capacitors on the HDMI board" so mayby taking out one board and getting that fixed would be the cheapest way to go.

If it was only $100 to fix, I probably wouldn't be spending this time writing about it. It looks to be 10x more than that. Also I did try both HDMI outputs.

Or maybe SVS A8 should help do the fix that he said was possible for $100 ?

Apparently the HDMI board is cactus, if it were to cost me $100 I would have done it already no questions asked. I have already paid $88 for Impulse Surrey Hills to open it up to have a look, also this is when I was told that the internal power connectors had previously been worked on and whoever did it had done a very poor job as this is the reason why it was not turning on and going into protection mode.

Just so everyone knows as well, I bought the Onkyo specifically for the HDMI input outputs and DTS MA that my NAD M15 couldn't do. I was pairing the Onkyo to my NAD M25. So i'm happy spending money on good gear. Just didn't expect the Onkyo to be DOA. for $1900 + potential $1000 HDMI board repair/replacement. I could have bought a brand new PR-SC5509 for $500 more from Selby's!

SVS has kept in the loop with emails but really doesn't solve my problem of trying to get this HDMI fixed.

Edited by lamtran

I want SVS to tell us all how he arrived at the $100 fix as this was a key part of his sale description.

I also think that failing to disclose that this was OS/Grey import stock was incredibly poor form and should also be explained.

Absolutely Chops. Add to that only ONE of the HDMI ports was shot in the seller's description. Why not fix it for $100 that he was quoted and then sell it?

Looks like my selling days here are done. Nice knowing you all, not much further I can do for the buyer as I have no way of knowing what he has done with the unit since it arrived. It worked like a charm before sending it and unfortunately he can't seem to get it functioning, what can I do?

I have sold many items here so far, no complaints, this was the first time something has gone wrong, sorry for the buyer, but don't let the snake oil repair shop cheat you with there BS.

I asked a local TV repair shop if he could replace the capacitors on the HDMI board if I took the board out myself, he agreed to do it for $100, it's only 8 capacitors, 30 min job. I bought the unit off of ebay myself, I didn't know it was a grey import.

Adios Amigos

Looks like my selling days here are done. Nice knowing you all, not much further I can do for the buyer as I have no way of knowing what he has done with the unit since it arrived. It worked like a charm before sending it and unfortunately he can't seem to get it functioning, what can I do?

I really don't see that as an excuse to the situation. I can't seem to apprehend the situation where the buyer would delibrately damage the system but infact ge would take more care to a priced possession.

You should take responsibility for a system that was sold by you mate! This just isn't right.

I am sure this was all a mistake, and you would do the right thing. Right??!

Looks like my selling days here are done. Nice knowing you all,

Spineless...... a clear sign of a person with absolutely no integrity, just run when there is trouble! The only reason you are running is because you know you have done wrong by the buyer and everyone on here knows it!

Man up and do whats right, I hope Lamtran sicks some dogs on your ass in a big way!

I do not see why Ambertech will not supply parts. It is not like Lamtran is claiming the parts under warranty? They would be paid for.

I hope this all works out for you Lamtran. Nothing worse than buying someone elses problem, especially when all details are not disclosed.

If he sends it to me I can fix it and send it back, simple. Refund is not possible, funds have already been used, zero dollars in the account. Civil lawsuit, would hardly be worth it for him.

Thanks for all the support guys.

SVS A8 has contacted me and is happy to have the HDMI board fixed if I send the unit to him. I will be picking the unit up tomorrow and will box it up to send back to him on Friday. Lets hope he it is all sorted out soon.

Under the circumstances I am unable to accept the unit back as I have no knowledge of what the buyer has done to the unit while in his possession. If he wants to make a claim with the tribunal and sit down with a mediator that is fine with me, I am sticking to my story the unit was working when it left the post office. If mediation is unsuccessful then he will have to hire lawyers and take me to court at his expense.

I am happy to help him try and find a solution. Slander me all you want, but I sent a working unit.