Buddhamus's Man Pad Ht Room

Thanks guys.

Just cannot wait to get in the house. After our previous builder tried to do a shifty on us.... We pretty much told him to **** off. That's the reason why it took so long to build and the amount of permits we needed from our pain in the ass council. We Spent a lot of time trying to find a great custom small builder and the guys we found have been awesome so far and very honest too.

Edited by buddhamus

Hi mate, looks like it's coming together, that's great.

Will the fellow doing the riser design, will he check sign lines/angles as well onto the screen to ensure up obstructed vision for the second row?

Great room dimensions; how many seats are you going for?

Thanks guys.

Just cannot wait to get in the house. After our previous builder tried to do a shifty on us.... We pretty much told him to **** off. That's the reason why it took so long to build and the amount of permits we needed from our pain in the ass council. We Spent a lot of time trying to find a great custom small builder and the guys we found have been awesome so far and very honest too.

Try building on an internal block. Boundary restrictions, height restrictions, fixture restrictions, external structure restrictions.

It wasn't until we started drafting we discovered the boundary restrictions. We have about 6 points of the house touching those limitations and applied for ease of set back on our garage to the boundary itself.

Hi mate, looks like it's coming together, that's great.

Will the fellow doing the riser design, will he check sign lines/angles as well onto the screen to ensure up obstructed vision for the second row?

Great room dimensions; how many seats are you going for?

Yeah he does all the line of sights and angles and where everything needs to be postioned and dimensions for everything. 2nd row sits 380mm high due to me getting a larger screen and pushing the riser a bit forward so I can put my 3rd and 4th Submersive behind it. Ill post a pic of the plan sometime tommorow for you to have a look :)

Im going for 2 x 3 seaters :)

Try building on an internal block. Boundary restrictions, height restrictions, fixture restrictions, external structure restrictions.

It wasn't until we started drafting we discovered the boundary restrictions. We have about 6 points of the house touching those limitations and applied for ease of set back on our garage to the boundary itself.

Yeah ours was nowhere near that bad....damn that must be a real pain. All we needed was to get a dispension to have our house a bit more forward to the boundary compared to our neighbours. Another reason why we took long was because the wife kept wanting to change things in the plan and took on a good few extra months lol. Have you started building yet Jutta?

Edited by buddhamus

Good to see the progress Budd, bet you are getting excited! Seems like there are a lot of rooms with a similar size on the forum - I reckon Sketchup is a great tool for checking dimensions, angles etc.

Guest Peter the Greek

Don't know if its been mentioned (I scanned the thread quickly). You wont need a heater, if properly sealed/soundproofed. You will need cooling 365 days. I use one of these for fresh air supply.

Don't know if its been mentioned (I scanned the thread quickly). You wont need a heater, if properly sealed/soundproofed. You will need cooling 365 days. I use one of these for fresh air supply.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for popping in buddy. hope your build is going well!.

I decided not to go to extreme with the coollng and heating as it was doing my head in....especially since were not going ducted heating *going hydronic heating instead* and I didnt want to bring evaporative cooling into the HT room due to moisture problems....its going everywhere else except the HT room.

I just got a Mitsubishi signature split system for the room which also supplies fresh air.

I got the plans back from Nyal regarding the riser bass trap. He specified 16 x 35mm x 100mm HVAC vents to go around the riser along with the locations and all that but.....I just cant seem to find that size vent anywhere?. I wonder if I can go another size more common size lol..........anyone got any ideas regarding this?

Good to see the progress Budd, bet you are getting excited! Seems like there are a lot of rooms with a similar size on the forum - I reckon Sketchup is a great tool for checking dimensions, angles etc.

Thanks Eli,

Very excited!......However I have tried to use sketch up in the past and just couldnt work it out lol. Hope your enjoying your room matey :)

Guest Peter the Greek

I got the plans back from Nyal regarding the riser bass trap. He specified 16 x 35mm x 100mm HVAC vents to go around the riser along with the locations and all that but.....I just cant seem to find that size vent anywhere?. I wonder if I can go another size more common size lol..........anyone got any ideas regarding this?

Call Holyoake - they should be able to sort you out

Can I ask what Nyal charges? PM me if you want

Edited by Peter the Greek

Call Holyoake - they should be able to sort you out

Can I ask what Nyal charges? PM me if you want

Thanks Peter!!!

Will PM you soon, just off to work atm and will PM you tonight.

BTW - Nyal specified faced insulation behind my screen wall..............but I cannot for the love of me find any kind of faced insulation in AUS. Can we use unfaced or is that not good enough?

Thanks Peter!!!

Will PM you soon, just off to work atm and will PM you tonight.

BTW - Nyal specified faced insulation behind my screen wall..............but I cannot for the love of me find any kind of faced insulation in AUS. Can we use unfaced or is that not good enough?

I used Ultratel with the black tissue paper. When I redid the room I reused the ultratel and then lined the face with the polyester batts that I recently gave away for a total thickness of 125mm. I am assuming that the black tissue paper is so it isnt visible through the transparent screen.

Guest Peter the Greek

I used Ultratel with the black tissue paper. When I redid the room I reused the ultratel and then lined the face with the polyester batts that I recently gave away for a total thickness of 125mm. I am assuming that the black tissue paper is so it isnt visible through the transparent screen.

FYI - Acoustica make a black polyester product......much nicer to work with (albeit expensive(ish)).

FYI - Acoustica make a black polyester product......much nicer to work with (albeit expensive(ish)).

Thats what I used throughout the room based on Acoustic Vision's recommendations and fully covered the ultratel with the product too. Great product just a pain to cut - breadknife did the job though

• 3 weeks later...

Two layers of 25mm 48kg stuff with a layer of 3mil plastic in between is the go.

In saying that, you can get faced Ultratel can't you?.....I need to get some 96kg faced stuff - was going to use this: http://www.insulation.com.au/products-1/ductboard

Thats what I used throughout the room based on Acoustic Vision's recommendations and fully covered the ultratel with the product too. Great product just a pain to cut - breadknife did the job though

Thanks guys!,

Spoke to Nyal and he said I wont need to line the face with anything black...if I have black backing behind the AT screen. TCC's new Elite screens have a black backing behind the screen.....I still want to do it though as I think it looks better visually.

Update pics. First layer of 18mm ply is on and the hat and channel/resilient clips also installed. Bulkhead should be finished today too...as the carpenter didnt get to finish it yesterday.

20150423_120234.jpg

20150423_120307.jpg

20150425_161427.jpg

Had to do a double take to be sure that wasn't you swinging the hammer mate. Good Stuff, are you enjoying the experience? Hope so.

Yeah it's been good. The builders pretty awesome and easy going on stuff. The only thing he said he "doesnt want me to do" is build the false wall where the speakers are going to be. As workers are going to be around the house most of the time and didn't want me to get in there way..........which is fine by me :). I told him if we can get a certificate of occupancy without putting carpet in the theater room and he said it shouldnt be a problem.

So ill have to build the screen wall once Ive moved in. Sucks that I have to wait...but so be in. Ill have a month off work anyway :).

Wiring is all done bar the HDMI cable....................All shops were closed yesterday due to Anzac day and Middys carry a nice big 50mm size conduit......but they were closed...and Bunnings only carry 32mm ones :(. So Ill be running the final conduit with the HDMI this Tuesday...and then its all done! :)

This coming week or early following week the 16mm plaster will be going up...........so I got all my Green Glue ready lol ............Ill be caulking all the gaps with the Green Glue sealant today too :)

20150412_101511.jpg

Edited by buddhamus