Pana St60 60" First Thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jie, I'm using the optical digital audio out. Volume seems about the same as my prior Samsung as well as various other panels I've used in the last few years (Hitachi, Sharp). Although that's no exactly a scientific analysis.

So there I go playing around with all the settings. Of course you only get all the options in True Cinema and Custom. Need to work out what some of these Advanced Settigns do:

• Black Expander
  • Adaptive Gamma Control
  • Colour gamut (normal versus native)

Time to dig out the manual I suppose

cheers

blairy

I'm having my tv professionally calibrated/whatever you wanna call it tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's a worthwhile difference. Looking forward to it.

As for volume levels, I have everything running through my receiver (watch FTA through foxtel). The volume on the TV turned down.

Also, going off on a tangent here, but recently noticed updated remote control codes for Yamaha receiver (RX-V3071 p not sure if all yamaha receivers have same codes for other devices), which now include Apple TV and Foxtel (haven't figured Foxtel out yet). I don't think these codes were included in my original list a couple years back...

can't wait to get our vt65. Not many around. Picked it up for a really good price. Video pro had them for a good deal but don't know if it is still going. This will be going in our lounge theater room once the house is built. Will be matching this with yamy 3030 avr and emotiva xpa5

So there I go playing around with all the settings. Of course you only get all the options in True Cinema and Custom. Need to work out what some of these Advanced Settigns do:

• Black Expander
  • Adaptive Gamma Control
  • Colour gamut (normal versus native)

Time to dig out the manual I suppose

cheers

blairy

Black Expander does not do what the name suggests, rather the opposite where it crushes the blacks not expand them. So I have found the best setting for this control is 0.

Adaptive Gamma should be set to 2.2 though there is now industry talk about moving to 2.4. You can change gamma from 1.6 to 2.8 where the higher the number the darker the picture seems to get.

Colour Gamut is probably best left on Native.

Optical is what I use as well. My set-top box cost about a quarter of my current TV back then, and obviously has better output signal level.

Jie, I'm using the optical digital audio out. Volume seems about the same as my prior Samsung as well as various other panels I've used in the last few years (Hitachi, Sharp). Although that's no exactly a scientific analysis.

Had mine professionally calibrated by True Colour (Sydney) earlier today. Results are superb. It's like a different/better TV. Brilliant.

Yes hard to image it is the same TV sometimes. The STs come up nice. The VTs have an even better edge, but in the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with a calibrated ST.

Mark - 100% correct. Really is hard to believe it's the same tv :)

Broadbean - I initially said I wanted the colours to be as natural/real as possible. If I hadn't liked the final outcome I would've said something, but I'm really happy with the results and with the level of service from the True Colour. There is no way I could've got anywhere near as good as what the picture is now with my Disney Blu Ray. How is yours going? Hope all is well.

Cheers

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed I seem to have picked up some image retention. Bloody fox sports logo visible while watching a Bluray.

How long should I run the 'scrolling bar' for to get rid o it? Or do I just run it until the image is gone?

Cheers

blairy

• 4 weeks later...

I was considering getting one of these now that they are below $1600, but after reading this I'm not quite sure as I don't want to spend more money just to calibrate it (what is the approx cost of this?).

I'm just not sure if I should wait to see what is around the corner, or grab one while they are still available, because in the most part, the reviews and comments are very positive!

$1600 for a 60" with a supposedly great picture seems to be a terrific buy, and anything equivalent appears to be ~$1000 more.

I currently have a Panasonic 50" PZ700a, and dare I say, the picture quality is better than many of the LCDs (and some plasmas) I have viewed recently.

Your thoughts?

Other options?

Cheers!

Edited by blaast

I was considering getting one of these now that they are below $1600, but after reading this I'm not quite sure as I don't want to spend more money just to calibrate it (what is the approx cost of this?).

I'm just not sure if I should wait to see what is around the corner, or grab one while they are still available, because in the most part, the reviews and comments are very positive!

$1600 for a 60" with a supposedly great picture seems to be a terrific buy, and anything equivalent appears to be ~$1000 more.

I currently have a Panasonic 50" PZ700a, and dare I say, the picture quality is better than many of the LCDs (and some plasmas) I have viewed recently.

Your thoughts?

Other options?

Cheers!

Do it! Out of the box the THX Cinema preset looks fantastic and I would say the majority of users wouldn't even go past that. You do a calibration down the track if you feel you really need it. These are fantastic sets.

Pretty sure the ST model doesn't have THX setting. I paid $450 (paid $1622 for the set) for mine to be pro calibrated and as previously said - it's like a different TV/better TV. Comparing the Cinema settings with the calibrated settings are as if the cinema settings have some kinda green/blue filter over the screen. As for the extra 5 inches, well, we'd all like a couple more wouldn't we. Not sure how your free to air would look. My 60" ST is acceptable from 3 metres away. Some HD is better than others, just like Blu Rays too. Personally, I think if you shop around $400 could be handy towards your sound system - Not sure what you're looking for in this way though? Do you mean towards a receiver, or speakers? If you shop around, the extra $400 could go towards upgraded receiver, or more appropriate subwoofer/s, or even speakers depending on what you've already got. Another item you may have to spend money on... Speaker cable. I don't care what anybody says, I bought same speaker cable from bunnings at less than $40 for 30 metres a pack. The same cable was going at JB's for $100 and they wouldn't price match. Absolutely nothing wrong with the cable. Don't listen to brand snobs. Guess all of what I've just said depends on what is more important to you - Video, or audio. Also, what are the Samsung 8 series 64" plasma going for? They were much cheaper than the Pana 65" VT and picture quality very comparable too. One last comment - How big do you really need to go for a TV if you're gonna watch it for everyday viewing? Perhaps you'd be better putting the money towards a projector for weekend/big event use. I'm still considering this, with the money I save on the ST v the VT.