Sacd Reviews? Stereo And Multi-channel

Okay, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here seems to be a monty even though I'm not a huge fan, but what else should us new to SACD consider? I don't mind a bit of classical either.

I was thinking of Brothers in Arms but have a vague recollection of being told it was a bit fake in the use of the surround channels. EDIT: Okay just read some reviews and everybody gives it 5 stars. So there's 2 to purchase...

Edited by blybo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classical music somehow makes me angry :ninja:..

Anyhoo....

So there's 2 to purchase...

Pretty sure there is a thread somewhere... But where to buy SACDs? :( Biggest problem is the lack of convenience (online seems the best option but so far I've only purchased one)....

In my to buy list atm:

Genius Loves Company

Ray Charles - Basie Swings

Mainly because I have the above CDs, and I wonder how good the SACD will be.

You can refer to sacd.net to get a list.. Most SACDs out there are either too "arty" or too "classy" for me... :P

Just as a thought, look at Linn Records or Naim Audio for some really well recorded music. I was looking at some of the catalogue and you can download studio master versions. Don't know how they compare to SACD's.

Classical music somehow makes me angry :ninja:..

Anyhoo....

Pretty sure there is a thread somewhere... But where to buy SACDs? :( Biggest problem is the lack of convenience (online seems the best option but so far I've only purchased one)....

In my to buy list atm:

Genius Loves Company

Ray Charles - Basie Swings

Mainly because I have the above CDs, and I wonder how good the SACD will be.

You can refer to sacd.net to get a list.. Most SACDs out there are either too "arty" or too "classy" for me... :P

Thanks;

Favorite band ever is Crowded House but very little of their stuff has a wow factor and many of the mixes are a bit messy or muddy, not exactly reference type examples so I'd probably never go there in SACD even if available.

Just as a thought, look at Linn Records or Naim Audio for some really well recorded music. I was looking at some of the catalogue and you can download studio master versions. Don't know how they compare to SACD's.

That's worth considering too.. I think streaming is the future... :ninja:

Thanks;

Favorite band ever is Crowded House but very little of their stuff has a wow factor and many of the mixes are a bit messy or muddy, not exactly reference type examples so I'd probably never go there in SACD even if available.

Buy it and try. You'd never know... :P

What SACD do you have that you like? I like to build up my library, only have 24 so far...

Okay, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here seems to be a monty even though I'm not a huge fan, but what else should us new to SACD consider? I don't mind a bit of classical either.

I was thinking of Brothers in Arms but have a vague recollection of being told it was a bit fake in the use of the surround channels. EDIT: Okay just read some reviews and everybody gives it 5 stars. So there's 2 to purchase...

Visit the authority on SACD provides titles, persons opinions regarding reviews, technical etc etc

Are you thinking just SACD or DVD-A as well?

Ref: multi-channel all of Elton Johns releases are of great quality, DSOTM is a cracker, Roxy Musics Avalon, Diana Krall's are all decent, Billy Joel's The Stranger is superbly presented, War of the Worlds soundtrack is another cracker. Ref: two channel Dire Straits self titled is well done, CCR's titles and Rolling Stones not too bad.

No Crowded House titles available on SACD, as Yorac mentioned the DVD-A of their first album - it provides great separation and definition (OOP and maybe difficult and expensive to obtain)- no muddiness there

I order of my preference;

DSOTM - Pink Flloyd

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straights

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Hotel California - The Eagles

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Tea For The Tillerman - Cat Stevens

Black & White Night - Roy Orbison

Piano Man - Billy Joel

Takin' It to the Streets - The Doobie Brothers

The BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin

Cheers

Gary

I order of my preference;

The BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin

Cheers

Gary

Try here - includes links to sites to purchase from.

Good luck......pretty hard to find something that does not exist.

Only official hi-res release of Zeppelin is How the West was Won on DVD-A

Edited by craigandkim

Good luck......pretty hard to find something that does not exist.

Only official hi-res release of Zeppelin is How the West was Won on DVD-A

Oops, how did I read Led Zep and come up with Deep Purple? Can't even blame a night on the booze... :o

The cannons are quite spectacular on this recording, however imho, the orchestra recording is very average at best.

I also have the CD version of this. The orchestra is captured with incredible clarity, especially considering the age of the original recording.

If you read more of the reviews on Amazon, you will find others agree with this I believe.

Edited by norseman

Sorry my mistake, I do have the BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin on CD and the BBC Sessions - Deep Purple on SACD. Of the two I actually prefer the Led Zeppelin Sessions despite it being on CD and that's about the best excuse I can come up with for having it on this list which was for SACD's. :o

Cheers

Gary

Regarding classical...take your pick, to name a mere 3

1812 Overture

Carmina Burana

Beethoven Symphonies 1-9

These are generally regarded as reference recordings for these particular transfers and performances on SACD....there is a shed load of other titles

I have the 1812 on SACD and Carmina Burana on DVD-A. As has been said, the cannons on the SACD are awesome though the recording is probably not the best. CB on the other hand was a let down for me. I used to play my Phillip "CD Classic" DDD recording with Pro-Logic (to spacialize it) and the DVD-A sounds like a more solid version of that.

War Of The Worlds is quite well done.

Moving onto other genres:

Brothers In Arms is the pick for me of SACD, though I wish now I had bought the DVD-A.

Anyone listened to the SACD version of Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard? I've had it on the list for a while and I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger or not.

Cheers

Gary

I have that one Gary, played it once only some time ago. I will give it a spin over weekend and post my thoughts.

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours; the track "Never going back again" has an extra instrument in the surround mix which is not on the redbook cd.

I read about this at avs forum and can confirm it as fact. (Posted by Benje2 whom I suspect is a member here also).

I have a small collection

The Who "Tommy" and "Live at the Royal Albert Hall"

Eric Bibb Blue's Ballads and Work Songs

Nina Samone To Be Free

A couple of Diana Krall and some Norah Jones

Lady Smith Black Mombazo also have some interesting stuff

Half a dozen Bob Dylan's

A lone DVD-A Reba McEntire

What gets me is the huge difference in pricing, Why is some stuff reasonably priced and others

hundreds of dollars, here's an example,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300576419688?ss...9#ht_500wt_1192

While I have the Stereo version and the DVD, I doubt I'll be the owner of the SACD

I have a small collection.......

Nina Samone To Be Free

How sure are you that this is a SACD title? I didn't know Nina Simone had any SACD releases.

What gets me is the huge difference in pricing, Why is some stuff reasonably priced and others

hundreds of dollars, here's an example,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300576419688?ss...9#ht_500wt_1192

While I have the Stereo version and the DVD, I doubt I'll be the owner of the SACD

Probably because it is now OOP and produced in limited numbers...when Amazon does not stock it you know its hard to get...and its still sealed.

How sure are you that this is a SACD title? I didn't know Nina Simone had any SACD releases.

I dunno, It's a three disc set. It plays 5 tracks, I picked it up at a Garage sale for five dollars,

The guy wanted ten, which was a bit pricey for a rainy day garage sale.

Anyone listened to the SACD version of Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard? I've had it on the list for a while and I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger or not.

Cheers

Gary

Listened to this sacd again last night; note; I do not have the redbook cd version to compare it to and I have the Polydor hybrid version from 2004 (not SHM version).

excellent sound quality to my ears, lovely blues sound to the album.....will have to spin this one more often.

for the price $15.57 US from Amazon a no brainer really; jb's probably charge more for the redbook cd here. Wether the new SHM version is worth 4 times the price of the Polydor version my guess would be no.

http://www.amazon.com/461-Ocean-Boulevard-...8637&sr=1-2